1992 Cranks, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clayb226

Reaction score
Hello Guys, it the old newbie here!! I just bought my first SHO, a 1992. The guy I bought it from said that it just lost spark, and I verified that it has no spark. He replaced the Crankshaft Position sensor, the cam shaft sensor, the Ignition module on the intake crossover, as well as the coil pack, and still could not get spark. I believe that the CPS is working, as I get a RPM reading when cranking the car over, and the CEL flickers when cranking, is not a solid light. I did some quick checks, and seem to be getting the constant voltage to my coil pack, but no spark to the plugs. I am sure that I am missing something simple, so any help would be great!! Thanks in advance!!

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
What are the codes stored in the computer? That is usually the first step in trying to locate issues.

If those listed parts above are new and functioning correctly, first blush culprit is the computer, ground, or wiring issue. THat is only if those are in fact performing correctly. I have fallen prey to a replacement part that I crossed off the list only to have it not work.
You must also be sure the bolts around the ignition control module are all fastened and present. There is a bolt that acts as a module ground to the intake and you will not function correctly without it. I try to have extra parts like used ignition module, pcm (computer), CCRM, and crank sensor on hand, if able, just for testing and ease of repair. SOme of that might not be financially viable but it makes ownership easier.

clayb226

Reaction score
What are the codes stored in the computer? That is usually the first step in trying to locate issues.

If those listed parts above are new and functioning correctly, first blush culprit is the computer, ground, or wiring issue. THat is only if those are in fact performing correctly. I have fallen prey to a replacement part that I crossed off the list only to have it not work.
You must also be sure the bolts around the ignition control module are all fastened and present. There is a bolt that acts as a module ground to the intake and you will not function correctly without it. I try to have extra parts like used ignition module, pcm (computer), CCRM, and crank sensor on hand, if able, just for testing and ease of repair. SOme of that might not be financially viable but it makes ownership easier.
Thank you so much for your reply. I did check the Ignition control module. It has all 4 bolts in it, as I read that the bottom 2 are the main ones that ground the module. I am trying to find the schematics, so I can figure out how to test all the components that he replaced, but not much luck there. I need to hunt up a book, as I will likely never get rid of the SHO. The car has 172.000 miles, I have test lights, and volt meters, I just need to be able to find what and where to test!! I will build up my inventory stock, as I get a chance, thanks for the tip. She is about due for another 60K, but am not sure of the past maintenance, I am the third owner. The water pump looks old, but I reckon it was not leaking when he was in there changing the CPS. Do these cars have a built in security system that could be tripped?? The radio is removed, and I have seen cars that will not run without the radio, that seems dumb to me, but I guess it happens.

clayb226

Reaction score

Sorry, I forgot to add the codes, as I did put a code reader on it. The battery has been removed for a month or so, so it has undoubtly lost some codes. But, I got the following codes, 10 111 116 122. That's for the KOEO test, as I can not get it to start??

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
If the spark plugs are not firing (test to confirm) there is an issue with coming from the coil pack to the spark plug wires or the plug wires are installed on the wrong plugs. Then trace it back to DIS and PCM.

I never used an aftermarket coil pack so I can't say whether they are any good, if it is positioned backwards, or if the plug wires are routed incorrectly. That's easy to look at.

clayb226

Reaction score
If the spark plugs are not firing (test to confirm) there is an issue with coming from the coil pack to the spark plug wires or the plug wires are installed on the wrong plugs. Then trace it back to DIS and PCM.

I never used an aftermarket coil pack so I can't say whether they are any good, if it is positioned backwards, or if the plug wires are routed incorrectly. That's easy to look at.
Thanks again for the suggestion. I was wanting to trace it anyway, but I need the schematics, so I know what wire does what... I will look into that stuff for sure, maybe tonight, if I get a chance. I did not realize that it would cut spark, if the plugs were wired wrong?? I did verify over the weekend that there was no spark. I will look up the positioning of the coil pack leads, and the cylinder order, and verify that they are correct. This actually makes me wonder, as I am not sure how the order goes. I think I read online that some of the books have the order incorrect?? Thanks again, everyone, who has helped!!

clayb226

Reaction score
Ok, I checked the routing of all the plug wires, they were correct. I removed the bolts from the intake crossover, and switched them, retighted, same result. I need to get the book. I noticed that after it cranks, and doesn't start, that the headlights come on, even though they are turned off. No taillights are on?? I still think I should check the CPS, as I have not really verified it yet, myself. I am certain it has a signal that I can pick up, if I knew what to expect. I am going to hunt up a book, that should have the schematics. I was hoping that the tach showing rpms on crank, that the CPS was good?? Is this the case?? I am also sure that I should be able to pick up a signal in the wires on the coil pack to test that it's getting the signal to fire the coil??

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
I have the factory service manual for 1992 on DVD. As long as it still works I can provide you with the schematics. Send me a Private Message with your request and an e-mail address for you and I'll send you the diagrams related to the ignition system.

-Rod

clayb226

Reaction score
Aight den fellers, I took a couple minutes to to a couple more small checks, while I am waiting on my books. I tested grounds to the bolts on my ignition module, as well as the intake. I have ground. Then I checked the coil plug. I have the constant power, but while cranking, I do not get any voltage to any of the other wires in the plug. I have a few diagrams that a nice member let me see, so I am going see if I can track the issue back now!! Thanks everyone for all the assistance!!

FastCAD

SHO Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys, it the old newbie here!! I just bought my first SHO, a 1992. The guy I bought it from said that it just lost spark, and I verified that it has no spark. He replaced the Crankshaft Position sensor, the cam shaft sensor, the Ignition module on the intake crossover, as well as the coil pack, and still could not get spark. I believe that the CPS is working, as I get a RPM reading when cranking the car over, and the CEL flickers when cranking, is not a solid light. I did some quick checks, and seem to be getting the constant voltage to my coil pack, but no spark to the plugs. I am sure that I am missing something simple, so any help would be great!! Thanks in advance!

FastCAD

SHO Member
Reaction score
see attached post. it helped me with the same conditions that u have.
best to ya.
p.s the cks sensor (barrel style) 4 wire plug sits behind the dis nestled on top between the intake runners passenger side. make sure the battery is fully charged and test with the key in the on position.

Attachments

• (2) crank position sensor testing SHO Forum.pdf
    476.7 KB · Views: 14

clayb226

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I have not been able to look at the SHO this week, but hope to this weekend??

clayb226

Reaction score
Aight den fellers, I done a little more testing. I believe that I am not getting CPS PIP signal. I tested, with my test light, I have my power constant, but no light on the PIP wires when cranking. Then I thought I would check my ignition ground, again with my test light, and no light to ignition ground?? I am going to start checking my ignition ground soon, but my son just turned 16, and the fuel pump is out of the vehicle I got him, so I am bouncing back and forth, as time dictates!!

EDIT: I think maybe I should test for ignition ground, at the DIS module ignition ground wire?? Does the ignition ground get passed through the DIS to the CPS??

Last edited:
Back