Figuring out what's next.

BKDave

Reaction score
So I bought this 2015 a week ago, car is mildly modified an I am trying to figure out where my next step needs to be. Currently the car is on a 93 Ortiz tune, previous owner bought one of their packages. Colder plugs, thermostat, map sensor, air raid cai that now has a K&N cone stuck to, lowered on H&R springs, and mufflers have been deleted. I have all stock parts that came off the car, I just did oil and trans fluid change. Unfortunately the car met a deer while on the way home with it, so it has a date with the body shop. Car also is sitting at 93k miles and I've found an oil leak that will lead to a romantic time at the dealership to have timing and motor resealed. I have absolutely no idea what the car is making power wise, unknown times, and if the tune is revised at all. I plan to drive the car fairly often but have another daily. I bought it to have fun in while being DD friendly. I would like to make a reliable amount of power that will also be fun on the weekends for Mexico. I've read through probably 50 or so threads and have been inconclusive in what to do after having the previously listed issues corrected. I know PTU and rear diff fluid are next to be addressed, but for a power aspect I'm lost. I've seen downpipes, intercooler, hpfp, and piping being some things to do to net respectable gains with the cars, going to E30 is something that intrigues me as well cause going full E seems a bit of a stretch on stock turbos from what I read. Any input is appreciated. I would like to think 450-500whp and max of 550wtq is about the top of where stock motor reliability ends.

ridered74

SHO Member
Reaction score
Motor isn't what you have to worry about at those power levels, the transmission will duck out first.

Mine made 424/532 on E30 with everything other than turbos and meth. Probably 350ish track passes before I sold it.

Zpak

Es Aich Oh!
Reaction score
At 93k and you’re planning to crack open the timing cover anyway I’d do the timing set and water pump.

As for power, post tune and accompanying equipment, the XDI and e30 would be the next step for noticeable gains. I’d also recommend Anthony’s trans mounts.

FREAK_SHO

SHO Member
Reaction score
At 93k and you’re planning to crack open the timing cover anyway I’d do the timing set and water pump.

As for power, post tune and accompanying equipment, the XDI and e30 would be the next step for noticeable gains. I’d also recommend Anthony’s trans mounts.
To add to this, if you do the trans mounts, do the upper engine / trans mounts as well. @93k, those are weak and will need replaced in short order after adding the HD trans mounts.

BKDave

Reaction score
Motor isn't what you have to worry about at those power levels, the transmission will duck out first.

Mine made 424/532 on E30 with everything other than turbos and meth. Probably 350ish track passes before I sold it.
From my understanding once you creep past the 550wtq is when the trans begins to get unhappy. Mounts are something I plan to do.

BKDave

Reaction score

Timing will be done along with waterpump. I wouldn’t open it and not have it all done.
Currently thinking down pipes, and e30 would be next. I’ve seen a fair amount of contradicting things with the XDI pump vs just going e30 on stock hpfp. What’s your thoughts with that?

BKDave

Reaction score

Timing will be done along with waterpump. I wouldn’t open it and not have it all done.
Currently thinking down pipes, and e30 would be next. I’ve seen a fair amount of contradicting things with the XDI pump vs just going e30 on stock hpfp.
To add to this, if you do the trans mounts, do the upper engine / trans mounts as well. @93k, those are weak and will need replaced in short order after adding the HD trans mounts.
Appreciate the input.

Zpak

Es Aich Oh!
Reaction score
Downpipes help for sure, just didn’t know how far down the rabbit hole you wanted to go.

A good tuner can tune e30 on the stock pump. However, especially in cold, you’re much safer with it and I feel you get to take more advantage of the extra octane without extra precautions with the stocker.

BKDave

Reaction score
Downpipes help for sure, just didn’t know how far down the rabbit hole you wanted to go.

A good tuner can tune e30 on the stock pump. However, especially in cold, you’re much safer with it and I feel you get to take more advantage of the extra octane without extra precautions with the stocker.
Getting my hands on one of the pumps new seems almost impossible, I haven’t searched super hard but the few I’ve looked are out of stock. Even then, figuring is the EVO, 30, or 60 will suffice for my goals is the next thing.
Also, I live in alabama we may see temperatures under 10 for a month out of the year

Zpak

Es Aich Oh!
Reaction score
Unless you’re getting stupid crazy the 30 will suffice. I didn’t know they were hard to find these days. Par for the course I guess.

BKDave

Reaction score
Unless you’re getting stupid crazy the 30 will suffice. I didn’t know they were hard to find these days. Par for the course I guess.
I figured I’d have to go with more than the evo. Another couple thousand into the car and down the rabbit hole I go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theexo

Members online