Blown Turbo..Decisions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeyJr341

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum, I have a 13' PI Sedan, I've decoded my model to find it has SHO performance package option. Obviously it has the 3.5L ecoboost, and I can see why PD used them for years.

That being said, I recently blew a turbo the other day heading to an apartment building fire and now faced with a dilemma. Do I replace the stock turbos with factory OEM turbos or go for the ATP upgrade. Currently I have just the Windstorm Intake installed but was planning on doing a manifold back de-catted exhaust this summer. With the recent event now I am considering doing it with the turbo replacement. I will be doing the install myself as I am a mechanic and currently maintain a fleet of pursuit Tahoes, Firetrucks and Ambulances.

Any ideas on the route that would be best traveled here? What would be the best build that wouldn't break the bank overly but still make this my daily driver with a little more pep to get to Firecalls and Emergencies.

Thanks in advance

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum, I have a 13' PI Sedan, I've decoded my model to find it has SHO performance package option. Obviously it has the 3.5L ecoboost, and I can see why PD used them for years.

That being said, I recently blew a turbo the other day heading to an apartment building fire and now faced with a dilemma. Do I replace the stock turbos with factory OEM turbos or go for the ATP upgrade. Currently I have just the Windstorm Intake installed but was planning on doing a manifold back de-catted exhaust this summer. With the recent event now I am considering doing it with the turbo replacement. I will be doing the install myself as I am a mechanic and currently maintain a fleet of pursuit Tahoes, Firetrucks and Ambulances.

Any ideas on the route that would be best traveled here? What would be the best build that wouldn't break the bank overly but still make this my daily driver with a little more pep to get to Firecalls and Emergencies.

Thanks in advance

Depends on how much you want to spend. For $1200 ish you can get factory OEM replacement turbos from numerous sources. I usually check with Tascaparts.com

For around $2000 ish + cores, you can get upgraded Gearhead Turbos from Matt. Everyone that has them loves them, and they will be enough turbo for really anything you would like to do going forward.

MikeyJr341

Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to spend. For $1200 ish you can get factory OEM replacement turbos from numerous sources. I usually check with Tascaparts.com

For around $2000 ish + cores, you can get upgraded Gearhead Turbos from Matt. Everyone that has them loves them, and they will be enough turbo for really anything you would like to do going forward.

Yea I've priced them both out and really not a HUGE difference. So that's why I'm leaning to upgrading. My biggest concern is the tuning part as I am in NY and will be doing the work myself so save the cost on install. I would have to find a place to tune it but don't think it would be wise to just turn key the car after installing without the tune.

SM105K

Reaction score
Yea I've priced them both out and really not a HUGE difference. So that's why I'm leaning to upgrading. My biggest concern is the tuning part as I am in NY and will be doing the work myself so save the cost on install. I would have to find a place to tune it but don't think it would be wise to just turn key the car after installing without the tune.

Matt from Gearhead is a premier tuner. He also developed the upgraded intercooler, and he is the only tuner that offers a true Auto Octane tune for our platform. I would touch base with him and see what your options are. Tuning these cars really isn't that difficult with guidance from a tuner you select.

MikeyJr341

Reaction score
Matt from Gearhead is a premier tuner. He also developed the upgraded intercooler, and he is the only tuner that offers a true Auto Octane tune for our platform. I would touch base with him and see what your options are. Tuning these cars really isn't that difficult with guidance from a tuner you select.

I will contact him. I had come across Gearhead a while back so now I have a reason to get in contact with them.

SM105K

Reaction score
I will contact him. I had come across Gearhead a while back so now I have a reason to get in contact with them.
He literally just posted in the front mount intercooler thread.

SM105K

Reaction score
Get 2 3bolt-t4 flanges and 2 gt28s, thats my plan when mine go.

You will find the limits of the rods and transmission before you would get to truly enjoy the capabilities of twin GT28's on this car. There is no direct upgraded transmission for our platform at all. I know BPD is working with someone, but it will probably not be cost effective to mass produce.

GH's upgraded turbos have been proven to make all the power that this combination can literally handle.

MikeyJr341

Reaction score
Don't let your dreams be dreams guys, just do it.......
I would if it were my secondary car. But as a daily driver I'm just looking to replace what's broke without doing a major build. But more like something I can bang out in my shop over the weekend and drive home.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

GotGrip?

Conversation Ruiner
Reaction score
I would if it were my secondary car. But as a daily driver I'm just looking to replace what's broke without doing a major build. But more like something I can bang out in my shop over the weekend and drive home.

Don't let something silly like responsibility stop you, go for gold!

MikeyJr341

Reaction score
Upgrade the turbos, no question. Worst case, you don't increase boost, and have a set of bullet proof turbo s for the life of the car.
Most likely the way I'm going to go. Also since Ford told me the oems are backordered until mid May. So will probably pull the trigger this weekend. Any advice on who to order them from. Also leaning towards the Stainless Works Cat back and off road cats

bpd1151

Lurking Around
Reaction score
Lop that last vendor name off from your list.

Entirely.

Dear God no. Many will expound as to why.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jordan_R

Stock Block Ready To Knock...er..Rock
Reaction score
I'll say I've made 536/647 at the wheels with the upgraded gh turbos at 65% wgdc. So plenty of room to go and that was with "lower RPM" shifting. Should be at about 550awhp now with some tweaking but really shows how much power these things can make. So much so to the point where I'm worried about basically everything on the big boy tunes lol. So far everything is still holding but just my experience with them is they will do everything you want and more.

SuperPete

SHO Member
Reaction score
Yep, Jordan knows..
I have my eyes on his build, see how he holds all that power before I pull a plug on my turbo upgrade, because I know if I have them badboys in nothing will hold me back, I will start going all the way, LOL.
So if you thinking of new turbos, just go with upgrade, save yourself money by not doing it twice.

Back