tommyboi

Reaction score
And here we find one of the major dilemmas (among many) of doing business with that clown show called Livernois. You won't have that issue with GH. Let's say, on the off chance you decided to switch to another tuner after having tried GH..all you'll have to do is buy a tune and not the device. H-e-l-l, you can even have tunes from multiple tuners loaded onto your SCT if you wanted. Livernois locks you into their business model...pretty predatory and once you jump ship, you'll now own a paperweight for a device as no one buys their device used. It just is not supported by anyone other than them.
Exactly why I went with Gearhead. I found it odd that Livernois did not use the SCT Device.

ridered74

SHO Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I went with Gearhead. I found it odd that Livernois did not use the SCT Device.

Odd? Would you rather make 150 off a tune or more like 500 off a tune?

They also used to claim that their device gave them access to all kinds of different things that sct wasn't capable of. Guess none of those extra paramaters helped it shift into second gear or go faster than the competitors.

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
I guess the biggest difference is a can tune from livernois. Versus an SCT tune that will give you the option for revisions over and over. This gives you a more custom tune over the lifetime.

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score

Im back to running the motorcraft plugs. 3rd time. This time the car was at idle with around 200 miles on the plugs. Went outside and it was misfiring. Im like what the flip i didnt even get a chance you break you this time. Good thing im always datalogging. Showed the log to Brad. He can see where it broke the ceramic doing nothing. Talk about part quality these days. Oh well. You can see its still a new plug. When they break i gut the silver from them anyway.
Maybe its the msd coils, im surprised they still work after a couple years. Gotta be a record.
I like Brisk, they make good tea. Ill use them again one day but its most likely caused by my fuel pressure drop on stock hpfp with my large intercooler. High temp is probably weakening the ceramic

Attachments

• 8820862B-2C01-44FF-9E37-2E86EEF634A5.jpeg
    8820862B-2C01-44FF-9E37-2E86EEF634A5.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 5006CD02-0D85-465C-84D9-B42F9DF6B362.jpeg
    5006CD02-0D85-465C-84D9-B42F9DF6B362.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 15
  • BFF88B79-0F6E-49A9-9D78-2F67F37B1F66.jpeg
    BFF88B79-0F6E-49A9-9D78-2F67F37B1F66.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score

They also used to claim that their device gave them access to all kinds of different things that sct wasn't capable of. Guess none of those extra paramaters helped it shift into second gear or go faster than the competitors.

At a time they had the quickest 60ft time. Tunes had been evolving over the past 10 years or so. Id say whoever did their tunes in the beginning was pretty good at it. Just reading back on Mikes posts on other forums too many years ago they had a pretty good tune early on compared to sct tuners. Evolution man, chicken to dinosaur, dinosaur to bottle of Castrol

ridered74

SHO Member
Reaction score
At a time they had the quickest 60ft time. Tunes had been evolving over the past 10 years or so. Id say whoever did their tunes in the beginning was pretty good at it. Just reading back on Mikes posts on other forums too many years ago they had a pretty good tune early on compared to sct tuners. Evolution man, chicken to dinosaur, dinosaur to bottle of Castrol

Their 10-12 tunes were fine, but mine ran the same 1/4 as unleashed.

They did evolve a lot tho. They evolved from a company that said pedal commanders were a joke and catch cans weren't needed on this platform into a company that sold both. That's impressive as heck to do a 180 like that.

They also said I didn't need any type of revision for my tune once I added an intercooler. I wonder if they give revisions for the new sho intercoolers they are selling now if you buy it from them.

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
Their 10-12 tunes were fine, but mine ran the same 1/4 as unleashed.

They did evolve a lot tho. They evolved from a company that said pedal commanders were a joke and catch cans weren't needed on this platform into a company that sold both. That's impressive as heck to do a 180 like that.

They also said I didn't need any type of revision for my tune once I added an intercooler. I wonder if they give revisions for the new sho intercoolers they are selling now if you buy it from them.

I had Anthony tell me on an email that my tune is good for e85. I have it printed out and framed on my garage wall lol.
Now im on engine number 2

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score

As interesting as it is, the software they use with the MyCal is OEM based and actually DOES have access to a ton of other parameters. Palm Beach Dyno actually uses the same software for Mustang tuning. We bought into it a few years back, but just didn't like the idea of a single-tuner handheld and decided to stick with HPTuners and SCT for tuning.

The software does work great for troubleshooting, but not through the handheld itself. We use it to "discover" new tables and then send the information to HPTuners and SCT, but choose not to use it for actual tuning.

Osiris3006

Reaction score
AO Performance is Auto Octane Performance. That is your GearHead tune. I would suggest you replace your plugs. You will also need to make sure that your GH tune is set to the correct MAP. Did Livernois put a 2.5 Bar or 3 Bar in with the previous tune? I have never seen 6.5L Taurus on any tuner. The 6.5L is a Turbo Diesel from the SuperDuty pickups.
Small correction, 6.5L diesel was from the 90s model chevy/gmc... lol

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
I fell for Livernois’ marketing when I got my car in 2015. At the time the reigning champ was all about Livernois. I had dreams of a custom dyno tune and meth injection.

Well, I found out later on that I overpaid for stock spark plugs Motorcraft Sp534 from them. And once I installed a boost gauge I didn’t know why it was only peaking at 10psi. Ethan from customer support told me there must be something wrong with my install….had me looking at it and messing around only to conclude it was installed correctly and when asked more about why I needed a 3bar if I’m only at 10psi all he could tell me was “alas, we wouldn’t sell it if it didn’t work”.

Then I had questions about dyno tuning of which how could I plan for it as it would need to be a weekend overnight trip staying at hotels to drive from VT to Michigan and how long would it take and would they need to change my spark plugs? Bc they would do that….dyno tune sure but they’ll throw an extra $100 on top for changing spark plugs for no reason….probably didn’t change them. So I decided not to do that….and went with their meth injection kit. I was actually disappointed when it showed up and said Alky Control on it…..it was advertised as rebuilt by them to be better and had their Livernois brand logo on it…..so what’s going on here I thought….do they actually make anything? Same thing with my downpipes, they had another company name on them.

Bunch of ******** later….I install meth injection and an aux trans cooler myself(hardest thing I’d ever done at the time)…..got their meth stage 4 x tune and loaded it up….took it for a test drive and I eagerly stared at my boost gauge. Same….10psi. What the??? So then I went and found a video of a Ford engineer explaining the motor and what they have for boost stock. He said 12psi. Why am I tuned for less boost than stock????

They say it’s my car and the only way to fix or check is a custom dyno tune?? I had it with them. I didn’t mod my car to be safer I was modding it to go faster. It felt faster but coming from a previous turbo car, I knew 10 psi wasn’t anything to brag about….quite low.

Joined the other forum just to send AJPTURBO a pm about getting a tune. I told him how I wasn’t happy with my Livernois tune, how I felt it was underpowered and bc of that a waste of my time and money. So I said to Brad….can I data log this Livernois tune? He said sure go ahead let’s see what’s going on. Peaked at 11 psi held 10. He said it was really weak. He started me at 93 only and 14 psi. I couldn’t believe it. I had to check that I had turned meth off…..it was way faster than my meth Livernois tune on just 93 octane. He said the meth pump could have stopped working and I never would have known.

He turned my car into a beast…….I didn’t add anything that year….just swapped from an extremely weak meth Livernois tune to a strong and healthy meth AJPTURBO tune. It matters who your tune is from, it makes all the difference in the world. There was nothing wrong with my car. It was perfectly fine.

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
Funny as I had the same experiences you did. Just to get away from the horrendous shifts was worth the investment. That is if it did shift!

Last edited:

cordell

Reaction score
Update - so I have the GH tune in, extra quart tranny fluid and correctly gapped plugs now. Been running it for a couple weeks, and probably have roughly 200-300 miles or so. Before I uploaded the tune, I did a kam reset and it’s definitely improved and adapted since then. BUT (and I’m starting to think it’s a mechanical part on my car and not the tune, since the tune is fine for everyone else…), it still does this funky hesitation/shuddering shift, which is more prominent with WOT and accelerating around turns. 1-2 is butter, 2-3 is where its the roughest and 3-4 and so on are also kinda choppy but to a lesser degree. As I stated before, me transmission is new from the dealer as of 20k miles ago. I sent in a log to Matt and he said the only thing he saw was that my torque converter was having trouble locking. I read up on torque converters and the symptoms and I guess it could be that. Anyways, my update is that GH is much better than LMS, but I still can’t drive the car WOT or “freely”, I always have to be cautious/mindful how much I’m accelerating and the timing for it to not shift so hard. It’s also not consistent - one time I can go 2-3 with 90% acceleration and it’s relatively fine, then next it shuddering into 3rd gear and it freaks me out. It’s drivable no doubt, but I wanna be able to get it to shift like butter whether I’m going around a tight bend and acceleration or doing a 2nd gear pull starting at 3000 rpm’s and pinning it. Any other info is greatly appreciated thanks boys.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update - so I have the GH tune in, extra quart tranny fluid and correctly gapped plugs now. Been running it for a couple weeks, and probably have roughly 200-300 miles or so. Before I uploaded the tune, I did a kam reset and it’s definitely improved and adapted since then. BUT (and I’m starting to think it’s a mechanical part on my car and not the tune, since the tune is fine for everyone else…), it still does this funky hesitation/shuddering shift, which is more prominent with WOT and accelerating around turns. 1-2 is butter, 2-3 is where its the roughest and 3-4 and so on are also kinda choppy but to a lesser degree. As I stated before, me transmission is new from the dealer as of 20k miles ago. I sent in a log to Matt and he said the only thing he saw was that my torque converter was having trouble locking. I read up on torque converters and the symptoms and I guess it could be that. Anyways, my update is that GH is much better than LMS, but I still can’t drive the car WOT or “freely”, I always have to be cautious/mindful how much I’m accelerating and the timing for it to not shift so hard. It’s also not consistent - one time I can go 2-3 with 90% acceleration and it’s relatively fine, then next it shuddering into 3rd gear and it freaks me out. It’s drivable no doubt, but I wanna be able to get it to shift like butter whether I’m going around a tight bend and acceleration or doing a 2nd gear pull starting at 3000 rpm’s and pinning it. Any other info is greatly appreciated thanks boys.
I’ve had mine on for a little over a week now. It shifts great through the gears at all throttle ranges, except I was getting a miss shift from 1st to 2nd under WOT. It would happen a couple times, then shift fine, then be hit or miss. I went to do a data log and it didn’t do it, and has only done it twice since then. The first since there was a slight drop in the road and my traction control light flashed, so it could’ve been the advance track being weird. Second time was at like 80% throttle. It also feels a little rough downshifting from 5th to 4th during deceleration. I sent a couple data logs and am just waiting to hear back. I’m going to throw an extra half quart of trans fluid in tomorrow and see what that does

cordell

Reaction score
I’ve had mine on for a little over a week now. It shifts great through the gears at all throttle ranges, except I was getting a miss shift from 1st to 2nd under WOT. It would happen a couple times, then shift fine, then be hit or miss. I went to do a data log and it didn’t do it, and has only done it twice since then. The first since there was a slight drop in the road and my traction control light flashed, so it could’ve been the advance track being weird. Second time was at like 80% throttle. It also feels a little rough downshifting from 5th to 4th during deceleration. I sent a couple data logs and am just waiting to hear back. I’m going to throw an extra half quart of trans fluid in tomorrow and see what that does
Yeah man. I mean maybe my trans is still adapting? I just find that doubtful at this point, but maybe. All I know is everyone I talk to says GH shifts like butter, and mine does sometimes but not WOT. Even driving normal sometimes it’s just clunky/not smooth. Best way I can explain it. Just want my car to shift perfectly fine normally and under WOT, AHHHHHHHHH.

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
I've never had a shift problem with AJP but he puts the shift at 5800. Lms puts it close to 6200. If you have ever seen a Dyno grarph on stock turbo's you will get the picture.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah man. I mean maybe my trans is still adapting? I just find that doubtful at this point, but maybe. All I know is everyone I talk to says GH shifts like butter, and mine does sometimes but not WOT. Even driving normal sometimes it’s just clunky/not smooth. Best way I can explain it. Just want my car to shift perfectly fine normally and under WOT, AHHHHHHHHH.
That was kind of my thinking too since after the 3rd day it stopped doing it, save those two times I mentioned. It seemed to be smoothing out so I figured it was adapting to the tune. I sent the data logs anyway, despite the problem not happening while recording (because why would it? Lol) just so he can get an eye on everything and make sure it’s what he wants to see. It doesn’t shift bad at all. Only when it misses occasionally, and if everything looks good on his end, I can live with the slight thump from 5th to 4th so long as it’s not happening because of something being off.
Honestly during normal driving, and even mid to higher throttle, mine pretty much shifts buttery smooth. Stock smooth, except for 5th to 4th.

Idk, I’ll see what he says when he gets back to me

cordell

Reaction score
That was kind of my thinking too since after the 3rd day it stopped doing it, save those two times I mentioned. It seemed to be smoothing out so I figured it was adapting to the tune. I sent the data logs anyway, despite the problem not happening while recording (because why would it? Lol) just so he can get an eye on everything and make sure it’s what he wants to see. It doesn’t shift bad at all. Only when it misses occasionally, and if everything looks good on his end, I can live with the slight thump from 5th to 4th so long as it’s not happening because of something being off.
Honestly during normal driving, and even mid to higher throttle, mine pretty much shifts buttery smooth. Stock smooth, except for 5th to 4th.

Idk, I’ll see what he says when he gets back to me
Yeah for sure, let me know I’m curious. Either way, if he saw something in the log regarding my TC then I guess there’s gotta be some sort of issue there.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
I've never had a shift problem with AJP but he puts the shift at 5800. Lms puts it close to 6200. If you have ever seen a Dyno grarph on stock turbo's you will get the picture.
I prefer 6200 it’s faster 1/4 times for me. Brad tried 5800 and it just didn’t jive with my goals. 6200 but no jarring shifts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online