2014 with P0020 code and starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordSHO14

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 2014 with approx 132k miles on it. I keep getting a check engine light on with a P0020 code “ ‘A’ camshaft position actuator ‘A’ control circuit/open bank 2” code. Has been to the dealer numerous times for the same code. They’ve told me it was possibly a timing issue and wanted to sell me the timing chain replacement (was done in Jan 2021 by previous owner). They’ve replaced the VCT solenoid 2 times already among other parts but the light always come back.

Last time I got it back from the shop it was fine for a few days, then started having starting issues. Was sometimes slow to crank or would even just click like a dead battery. Has a brand new ford battery in it as well. Took it back and they tested the battery, starter, alternator, etc, all test fine. Of course they couldn’t duplicate the concern. Picked it back up and it’s still doing it intermittently.

Check engine light is back on AGAIN with the same code and still having starting issues. I’ve replaced the starter thinking maybe it was weak. Same issue. The dealership swears the battery is fine and even tested it and showed me the results.

Never had the starting issue before the last major visit to the dealership. I’m at a loss. I love the car but the constant check engine light and now starting problem is driving me crazy. I’ve owned the car just over 2 years and over half that time it’s been at the dealer (it’s back there AGAIN for the same issues). Has anyone else had anything like this before? If so, any ideas what could be causing this?

I would try another dealership but the closest one is over an hour away. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Looks like VCT and VCT harness are the suspects for that. The diag procedure is a bunch of ohm testing on the solenoid and harness.

SHOdded

SHO Member
Reaction score
check that the wiring to the solenoids is securely seated. have had a few cases of this gen with that issue.

Back