Was wondering ?

Bronco2fan

SHO Member
Reaction score
So, with the prices for fuel going up and up. Has anyone else decided to drop a level on fuel? I've started putting mid-grade in the SHO, since it's as much as Premium was. Top tier fuel is over 5 bucks a gallon for Premium here now. Just did it yesterday as I was at half a tank anyway. Guess I'll see how well the factory auto octane sensor works and if my mileage goes down any.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I've been mixing reg and premium in my Coyote v8 f150. I can tell the timing/performance difference. Add a/c and it's a dog

Bronco2fan

SHO Member
Reaction score
I've been using nothing but premium in my S550. The coyote is just too awesome not to. The Audi, 3.0 Supercharged has to have premium too. So the SHO is back to DD duties. My GF alternates between the Audi and SHO.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
93 is $6.43 here, and 87 is $5.43. I’m still getting the 93 because I figure I would only save around $18 per fill up with the dollar difference per gallon (if I fill up from the light being on).

To me $18 is worth it to keep it performing like it should lol

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy sh*t.
Yeah man, it’s wild. Granted, that’s at Shell, which is usually a touch more expensive anyway, but still. I have no idea why it’s so high here. I live in Indiana, and not even in a city.

Only thing I can think of is that Chicago is like 30-45 minutes away, and a lot of people have been buying houses here to avoid the taxes and just commute to the city. Those rats have been driving up prices on a lot of things actually

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here, in Southeast Michogan, I paid $5.70 gallon for Sunoco 93 a week ago Sunday. I'd guess today it's well over $6 a gallon - and no end in sight!

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thought about it, I'm staying with 93. I drive it like a Prius now though.

Greg2013SHO

Reaction score
I’ve been following the dealer advice I got early on for this 2013 non-PP. Use Premium every 4th fill-up. Even the owner’s manual says that some use of Regular is OK. The only warning is about E85. I get good gas mileage, around 24 MPG, on the open highway (the trip read-out usually over-estimates since it under-measures the gallons). Certain brands are better (Shell, Marathon, Exxon). There’s a boost with Premium but not enough to compensate for the price. I do it out of prudence for engine health.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
I’ve been following the dealer advice I got early on for this 2013 non-PP. Use Premium every 4th fill-up. Even the owner’s manual says that some use of Regular is OK. The only warning is about E85. I get good gas mileage, around 24 MPG, on the open highway (the trip read-out usually over-estimates since it under-measures the gallons). Certain brands are better (Shell, Marathon, Exxon). There’s a boost with Premium but not enough to compensate for the price. I do it out of prudence for engine health.
https://fordauthority.com/2019/08/is-premium-fuel-better-in-an-ecoboost-ford-f-150/

Not an exact comparison to our car as it is an F-150 but, they lost 20 hp, 0.6s 0-60, 0.5s/4 mph 1/4mile, 1.9 psi boost, and 0.6 mpg at 75 mph by going from 93 to 87.

Greg2013SHO

Reaction score
https://fordauthority.com/2019/08/is-premium-fuel-better-in-an-ecoboost-ford-f-150/

Not an exact comparison to our car as it is an F-150 but, they lost 20 hp, 0.6s 0-60, 0.5s/4 mph 1/4mile, 1.9 psi boost, and 0.6 mpg at 75 mph by going from 93 to 87.
Thanks for your comments. I haven’t been as diagnostic. Your MPG improvement matches mine. I use my car to travel long distances. Its power is needed when passing is challenged. Or getting out of traffic dysfunction (like somebody adjusting speed simply to be an annoyance). How can I assess hp?

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I can echo that f150 data is similar to what I experience. Probably more that that in my v8 coyote with 160+k miles (vs echo with lower miles) .

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I haven’t been as diagnostic. Your MPG improvement matches mine. I use my car to travel long distances. Its power is needed when passing is challenged. Or getting out of traffic dysfunction (like somebody adjusting speed simply to be an annoyance). How can I assess hp?
In a performance perspective, a K&N intake (according to their dyno report) gains 12hp at a cost of $450. Double that to get roughly the 20 hp lost at a cost of $900. If the cost difference between 87 and 93 is $1 for simplicity sake, that is 900 gallons. At 20 mpg, it would take 18,000 miles to make up the cost of 20 hp in mods to get your car to the same performance it is stock on premium gas. 20hp 2psi boost are both a big deal when you want to scoot out in front of someone, merge into traffic, pass that Sunday driver. The same article stated that the performance feel was noticeable.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a performance perspective, a K&N intake (according to their dyno report) gains 12hp at a cost of $450. Double that to get roughly the 20 hp lost at a cost of $900. If the cost difference between 87 and 93 is $1 for simplicity sake, that is 900 gallons. At 20 mpg, it would take 18,000 miles to make up the cost of 20 hp in mods to get your car to the same performance it is stock on premium gas. 20hp 2psi boost are both a big deal when you want to scoot out in front of someone, merge into traffic, pass that Sunday driver. The same article stated that the performance feel was noticeable.
People can call BS if they like, but I (and I’m sure others) can tell the difference from just a bad batch of 93. I’m sure 87 would just feel gross

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
I still run E30. It is cheaper than just straight 91 still. E54 is $4.99 while 91 is $5.90 here. However it is still $101+ dollars to fill up, with no end in sight.

I run my Focus ST on 87 all the time. It is my DD and I don't beat on it. 500 to 550 miles a week, 90% which is freeway miles. I fill up roughly every 4th to 5th day. I feel a big difference in power esp in the heat. I have noticed a 5 to 6 psi in sustained boost drop across the power band. I would gander that is a 30 to 35 hp drop in the same heat vs 91 octane.

Also the Focus having a 12 gallon tank and 87 here being $5.20 ish is $62 bucks a fill up now.

Just for prospective:

91 octane @ $2.25 x 12= $27.00 x 6.5 fill ups = $175 a month
87 octane @ $5.20 x 12= $62.50 x 6.5 fill ups = $405 a month

The difference is $230 dollars a month which is almost my Focus ST payment of $259.00.

Thanks Joe, you are an A$$hole for closing Keystone, and everything else your $hit administration is doing to cripple oil and the middle class. Would love some mean tweets and cheaper gas.

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
Even me with all the bolt-ons, on a 93 tune from AJPTURBO I average 25.5 mpg with cruise set at 80 mph. Your are right about engine health. Yes 93 will bring up the cost of a fill-up, the Ecoboost is more efficient on 93. Which to me like you is for engine health. Unfortunately I can't use 87, or well ide probably lose the engine. I only put 93 I'm my F-150 3.5, all stock, higher mpg saves 2 gallons every fill up vs 87. So in reality I'm only spending maybe 15 or 20 more per fill up on a 36 gallon tank. Well worth the investment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online