Tuned and Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigStu123

SHO Member
Reaction score
Question - I’m tuned and I’m still under warranty. I always thought that if you convert back to stock and swap out the MAP sensors then the dealer wouldn’t know I was tuned. But I’ve heard mixed things. Does anyone know if this is true? If not, is there a way to completely “hide” the fact I was tuned? I’m just being proactive, god forbid something were to break and I needed it replaced, I don’t want to void the warranty. If there is no way to reset it, has anyone actually had the issue of the dealer checking and denying a claim due to the car being tuned?

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Majestic

SHO Member
Reaction score
Before the dealership I used to use turned into a shit-show, the service advisor told me that they don't check and don't care about a tune.

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question - I’m tuned and I’m still under warranty. I always thought that if you convert back to stock and swap out the MAP sensors then the dealer wouldn’t know I was tuned. But I’ve heard mixed things. Does anyone know if this is true? If not, is there a way to completely “hide” the fact I was tuned? I’m just being proactive, god forbid something were to break and I needed it replaced, I don’t want to void the warranty. If there is no way to reset it, has anyone actually had the issue of the dealer checking and denying a claim due to the car being tuned?

Thanks guys.

I am very friendly with a shop manager for a small repair shop chain in my area. YES - the car keeps a "flash count" so every time its flashed it adds one to that count. NO - many dealerships dont check unless they suspect "abuse" then they might refuse service. Not very likely, I can say when I bought mine in 2013 - I had developed a troublesome transmission after very short time after my Diablo Sport "precanned" tune. Now I must of flashed mine 10 times - tune - retuned after a log session and reverted back. I also brought the car after the car broke down on the road and didnt flash. They CANT detect the tune - other than suspecting you tuned it. I would say this though, low likely hood - but just flash back to stock before bringing it in.

The tale tell signs for them are the hard pipes - or visible items you added, like catch cans. NOT the programming, unless after your tuned car - you complain its performing weird, of course they will drive it and feel the tune. However they will flash the car with stock. So that 3 bar could be an issue - and always flash back.

PS: I will say this - I am SOOOOOO glad my car is not under warranty any longer. The last time it was in - toe links recall.

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
It's definitely shop depending but most don't check that hard if it's within reason. At some point you have to take ownership of what you do depending how far you go. Mine has been out of warranty for 6 years and tuned to the 500 whp for 50k. At this point I pay to play.

Dark Blarc

Reaction score
I took mine to Ford for warranty transmission work last year. They informed me they couldn't read the codes with the tune in it. I reverted to stock in their parking lot and they performed the work under warranty.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
I took mine to Ford for warranty transmission work last year. They informed me they couldn't read the codes with the tune in it. I reverted to stock in their parking lot and they performed the work under warranty.
I have run into this with diagnostic software. It requires me to enter the stock Strategy Code before it can read the computer. It usually just has me type it in which, is a lot better than having to reprogram it.

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strategy Code
For some reason I can't recall the strategy code, mind refreshing my memory. Would much prefer that route over reprogram in case I ever need to before bringing it to the shop. You could post here or PM me if you wish thanks!

The HP Tuner didn't need that step.

BigStu123

SHO Member
Reaction score
For some reason I can't recall the strategy code, mind refreshing my memory. Would much prefer that route over reprogram in case I ever need to before bringing it to the shop. You could post here or PM me if you wish thanks!

The HP Tuner didn't need that step.

Repost here, I’d like to know

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Well its in the Vehicle info, here is mine. My question is how does entering in the code allow - or unlock the ECU for the dealership to read info?

View attachment 88218
It does not allow it to be unlocked. I was just confirming what he stated. It must remove the strategy code or access to it somehow when you get tuned. If I put the stock tune on, I don't get asked for the code. When I have it tuned, the program asks for it because it cannot communicate with the computer. I believe it is ForScan that I usually run into this with.

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does not allow it to be unlocked. I was just confirming what he stated. It must remove the strategy code or access to it somehow when you get tuned. If I put the stock tune on, I don't get asked for the code. When I have it tuned, the program asks for it because it cannot communicate with the computer. I believe it is ForScan that I usually run into this with.
Ok that makes sense, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertman7807
Back