Spark Plug Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BKDave

Reaction score
I may not have dug far enough, but I spent a few hours today researching spark plug replacements for our cars that are easier to get than the Ford Performance plugs. I manage an O’Reilly, so fortunately I have access to some books and the system for spark plug look ups and cross. After researching the SP542 plug, the easiest to get that retains the same thread, thread reach, hex, and heat range was a NGK 6510.
I’ve just finished the installation of them, was a pretty straightforward process. I didn’t remove any parts from the engine. Had to disconnect the left bank pcv valve and move it to get better access to the coils. Fortunately was able to get away with not having to pull out any of the harness hold downs, tried but they ensured me they liked their home so I worked around them.
I will later update after some drive time and miles with how well the plugs hold up. To my knowledge the plugs I took out were installed roughly mid 2019, they were the Motorcraft SP542 previous owner did with the power pack he bought. All plugs that came out had the same patterns on them, so hoping to see the NGK do as well as they did.
I know some can get the Ford Performance or Brisk plugs, but wanted to see if there was an alternative for a plug you can walk into most auto stores and get off the shelf.

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem nowadays, and I respect O'REILLY more than many other brick and mortar stores, lack of in store selection. I bought my Ford performance plug through Summit Racing. I do know there are several other brands of colder range plugs NGK which I used in my turbo RX7, that people recommend. I believe @yaycandy found and use a racing plug I read in a post here.

So my general feeling of walking into a retail auto part store is they too will only need to order wait to have shipped the same plugs I can order online. The only plugs the stores carry are direct replacements in my findings. With sometimes either unwilling or not very knowledgeable staff.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

BKDave

Reaction score
The problem nowadays, and I respect O'REILLY more than many other brick and mortar stores, lack of in store selection. I bought my Ford performance plug through Summit Racing. I do know there are several other brands of colder range plugs NGK which I used in my turbo RX7, that people recommend. I believe @yaycandy found and use a racing plug I read in a post here.

So my general feeling of walking into a retail auto part store is they too will only need to order wait to have shipped the same plugs I can order online. The only plugs the stores carry are direct replacements in my findings. With sometimes either unwilling or not very knowledgeable staff.

You’re not wrong in parts store having some questionable staffing. Not all have the people who are true to what they do. My store stocks the plugs regularly, they’re factory replacement for an ATS if I remember correctly, so most have them sitting on shelf.
I could’ve ordered the Ford Performance but I didn’t particularly want to wait till Tuesday for me to get them.

The in store selection is a direct reflection of what the manager does. At any of the parts stores, they have to fill their inventories to suite who’s around them lol.
One of the shops I deal with is a frame of restoration that’s everything leaves with a LS, so I have a lot of aftermarket LS platform swap parts sitting on my shelf. AC Delco sensor, ford modular coils.

It just goes back to the staff not caring, and I’ll get off my soap box with it that. Personally I enjoy what I do and studying automotive things, so finding stuff for parts is always fun.

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score

Your better off to run the factory spark plugs and just gap them for what your tune needs. I went through 3 sets of Brisk silver spark plugs while working with Brisk and Brad to make sure i had the correct heat range. Even trying 2 different heat ranges. At WOT the spark plugs would crack and split in half. Got lucky the porcelain didnt fall into the combustion chamber. So Brisk says they are the right spark plug and its not their fault. I say its poor quality as to where they are also manufactured. Never and issue with the motorcraft plugs.

BKDave

Reaction score
Your better off to run the factory spark plugs and just gap them for what your tune needs. I went through 3 sets of Brisk silver spark plugs while working with Brisk and Brad to make sure i had the correct heat range. Even trying 2 different heat ranges. At WOT the spark plugs would crack and split in half. Got lucky the porcelain didnt fall into the combustion chamber. So Brisk says they are the right spark plug and its not their fault. I say its poor quality as to where they are also manufactured. Never and issue with the motorcraft plugs.
Well, if I’m not mistaken the factory plugs for our cars are labeled Motorcraft but manufactured by NGK so I’m hoping they hold up for me.

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
Reason you can't find them is because they've been redesignated as part number M-12405-35T.

Years ago, the SP542 was put into standard vehicles, but if I recall the story correctly, there was some sort of emissions compliance issue, so Ford went with the SP578 that you now find in our platforms. The SP542 was redesignated and moved to Fords Performance line.

BKDave

Reaction score
Correct, which t
Reason you can't find them is because they've been redesignated as part number M-12405-35T.

Years ago, the SP542 was put into standard vehicles, but if I recall the story correctly, there was some sort of emissions compliance issue, so Ford went with the SP578 that you now find in our platforms. The SP542 was redesignated and moved to Fords Performance line.th

Years ago, the SP542 was put into standard vehicles, but if I recall the story correctly, there was some sort of emissions compliance issue, so Ford went with the SP578 that you now find in our platforms. The SP542 was redesignated and moved to Fords Performance line.
Correct, just me personally I didn’t particularly have time to wait to order them. The Ford Performance plug is accessible, just wanted to find a plug that could work that can be obtained off the shelf in a pinch.

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for this info!

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score

BKDave

Reaction score
I've gone with Brisk and I like them.

I haven’t looked into them myself so I can’t say anything bad about them. I will look into them at some point in the future.
This was mostly just to throw the NGK plug out into the playing field further than what it has been so far. As of currently with ~50 miles they feel to be doing as should be. Hard go say they do better than the Motorcraft cause I didn’t put the Motorcraft in myself, and were in for 4 years ~60k miles.

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
I haven’t looked into them myself so I can’t say anything bad about them. I will look into them at some point in the future.
This was mostly just to throw the NGK plug out into the playing field further than what it has been so far. As of currently with ~50 miles they feel to be doing as should be. Hard go say they do better than the Motorcraft cause I didn’t put the Motorcraft in myself, and were in for 4 years ~60k miles.

The NGK 6510s have been known for quite some time to be compatible. A simple search of the forum would've yielded quite a few posts going back a number of years showing this.

BKDave

Reaction score
The NGK 6510s have been known for quite some time to be compatible. A simple search of the forum would've yielded quite a few posts going back a number of years showing this.
I looked and didn’t see but one or so. I did say I may not have looked in the right places.

BKDave

Reaction score
Typing in "6510" in the search bar and I got back between 16-17 posts referencing the NGK plugs.
I am not denying the existence. Evidently I didn’t search well. I also had not came up with a 6510 in the time of me looking through the forum for plugs.

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are running a 3.5L Turbo these are the NGK parts, the two highlighted are the performance plug. The HX are supposedly the next gen performance plug.

***EDIT*** Too early and coffee hasnt worked yet - the plugs Ecoboost_xsport is talking about is the IX series 6510.

Last edited:

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any down side to running the Autolite or NGK performance plug?
None - unless you are finely tuning the plug gapping and your tuner can adjust spark and fuel burn more accurately.

onanysunday

Reaction score
The Pulstar Iridium Plasma plug is a nice upgrade over factory plugs on my 2013 FIPS 3.5 EB. The spark is waay bigger with these plugs compared to any other plug I've ever seen or used because of an internal capacitor that generates a much higher voltage output (see video link). I'm not sure why nobody else seems to mention them as they are an obvious choice. Not sure how they would interact with a tune, but I can say for a car without a tune, they make a noticeable difference in performance. Just look at the difference in flame kernel propagation. Al Unser approved! :thumb:

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@onanysunday Take a read - this is a great read and explanation of why reputable spark plugs are engineered for our cars using GDI for specific reasons.

There is a lot of engineering that goes into quality plugs.

Back