sad Gen2 SHO, with good stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

batchman

SHO Member
Reaction score
Donation sent. Been trying to get photos but will start with description...

1 owner 93 MTX in my sig, white on black leather, I forget the code (401A?) but it's the high option. Moonroof, JBL PW/D/L climate white slicers etc.

Loved the car for 180k miles, a wifely hand-me-down at 90k or so. As is the way of things for me, modded sequentially as things "asked for attention" and then rocker rust took over. Eventually became pretty well aligned with SCCA ST* rules, can't recall if it was X or U or what in those days. Did not do anything with induction or fuel besides cleaning it every 30k.

Retired to yard art >10 years ago when it would no longer pass annual inspection. Year or three before that had been relegated to "no back seat passengers" while daily commuted. Held onto it with thoughts of a wagon or putting the drivetrain in the back of something maybe GRM $2k-ish. Of course, that never happened - and remains unlikely in my hands.

Beyond the stuff in the sig, at 120k it received a new alternator (brushes wore out) and at 150k got rod bearings and (IIRC) one of the last new timing chain tensioners. At that time the Fidanza, Quaife and purportedly cryo'ed rebuilt trans went in, with many thanks to a regional SHO guy who did every 30k along the way. The trans came from one state away with claimed 1500 miles since rebuild. I met the guys at a transmission shop halfway between us, who opened it up and inspected - opinion was "yeah, credible" and the deal was made. After the clutch/trans I recall replacing the MAF when it ran out of pull beyond 1/2 throttle.

Current status is becoming one with the earth, 99% still there except battery and maybe coolant reservoir cap or such. Body is straight beyond the structural rust, no accidents but did have a modest tree fall on it when it was still new. Not sure about door bottoms. Interior was near perfect, except for the climate buttons and sun shade, but now has slight algae growing on it that appears to clean up reasonably - except I can't open the front doors or the trunk - hence difficulty getting good pics. I do recall one rear shock was getting sticky as it went to pasture, pretty sure I still have one spare for each end.

The Fidanza and Quaife were transformational, and I loved it. As I recall, this car was undefeated among SHOs at NESHOC autocross events. The Quaife did take a moment to "set", but once it did it was great. Now, I still think about that as a part of a winter car; if it could retrofit into the current FoST this ad would not be here ;) - as once/twice a season I can't get up my hill. I also recall the rear STB as a surprising mod - not as good as SFCs, but immediately quieted down the doors jostling in their closures. The stainless high flow cat was also a pleasant surprise, the UDPs not so much - I just recalled one of them did crack and that one went back to stock.

I'd like $1000 back of the much more spent on the FW/clutch/trans. Can't recall if I still have the OE trans, which worked fine when pulled, but if I do it can go with, along with stock rear arms in case you need it mobile after pulling the BMRs. Those arms, by the way, only gained a 1/2deg of camber since by autocross rules I couldn't do the square tube relocation mod.

Available to go with, a 98 Continental that considered receiving the MTX when its' second ax4n showed signs of eating an axle bearing. Given a 4.6 GT clutch and flywheel I believe this pairing could work - maybe in the back of something stupid like an ****** wagon LOL.

Thanks for listening, and PM with interest. I'm not parting the car, but don't let that stop you from doing so. Or maybe I should buy one of the finer example and add the Quaife, but then I'd be putting to winter duty and that would just not be right for that car...

Sigh,
- Jeff

Last edited:

batchman

SHO Member
Reaction score
I could have been more clear - if a mongrel should strike you as an interesting play, speak up. The 4.6 & Conti will just "go with" (titles ready on both). That option will go away soon though, so LMK.

I can text not-great pics, just not set up to re-size etc to post. PM with a number or email address.

Best,
- Jeff

batchman

SHO Member
Reaction score
Welp, the Lincoln frosting is no longer available. Or, more correctly, no longer available free - it's gone to a local salvage yard. I probably should have retired and tried my crazy scheme, but I did not.

Still haven't visited where I should find the original trans, but do have rear arms and a Gen 3 ZF Rack I was thinking of trying to adapt. These will "go with", along with a new "pork chop" for a commit this month - a Jose short shifter that never got installed.

Thanks for listening,
- Jeff

Back