No crank no start

Samtheman94

Reaction score
Hey guys, a bit of a hot one here…
So my 92 MTX was running fine today, and I parked it for three hours then all of a sudden, it won’t start. Battery is good, connections are good, everything seems to be working properly, but it won’t even click the starter. I had an intermittent issue with a bad negative ground but after replacing the wire and battery terminals entirely it hasn’t been an issue. Tomorrow I will be changing the starter solenoid on the street where the car currently sits, beyond that what else could it be? Extra juice to the battery didn’t help, but the lights don’t even dim when I rock the ignition to start. No click, no crank.
Thank you for any information,
Sam

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the key turned to the start position, check if you have power to the starter/solenoid lugs using a voltmeter. You may need someone to turn the key for you. If no power, then the problem could be you ignition switch or wiring down to the starter. If you have power, then get an insulated screw driver and jump the terminals lugs to see if the solenoid engages the flywheel. If it doesn't, then your starter/solenoid is bad.

Samtheman94

Reaction score
with the key turned to the start position, check if you have power to the starter/solenoid lugs using a voltmeter. You may need someone to turn the key for you. If no power, then the problem could be you ignition switch or wiring down to the starter. If you have power, then get an insulated screw driver and jump the terminals lugs to see if the solenoid engages the flywheel. If it doesn't, then your starter/solenoid is bad.
My thoughts exactly. Was also pondering the possibility of a safety switch not disengaging, such as the neutral safety switch

Samtheman94

Reaction score
Update: the car started this morning, revved high and made it 20ft before i shut it off. Would not re-crank after moving

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
Your MTX won't have a "neutral safety switch" but will have a clutch pedal position switch. Pretty much the same function, you just don't have the option of trying to start in neutral versus park like an ATX would have.

Did you shut the car off after 20 feet because of the high idle? What engine speed were you seeing during the high rev?

-Rod

Samtheman94

Reaction score
So I got under the car and with someone pushing the clutch and the car out of gear, and used a screwdriver to jump the solenoid. While the solenoid did spark when I did this, there was no noise or action from the car. After testing voltage to the solenoid and starter and verifying that it was getting the proper power, I concluded that the starter just up and went out. I figure the high idle was from the fuel pump priming so many times without starting. We shall see if that was indeed the issue tonight. It was revving to about 1300 rpm for close to 20-30 seconds before I shut it off after it rolled 20ft

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
So I got under the car and with someone pushing the clutch and the car out of gear, and used a screwdriver to jump the solenoid. While the solenoid did spark when I did this, there was no noise or action from the car. After testing voltage to the solenoid and starter and verifying that it was getting the proper power, I concluded that the starter just up and went out. I figure the high idle was from the fuel pump priming so many times without starting. We shall see if that was indeed the issue tonight. It was revving to about 1300 rpm for close to 20-30 seconds before I shut it off after it rolled 20ft
Good, proper, diagnosing. It's been several years since I had my red '93, but I don't recall the starter being too difficult to replace the time I had to do it. I was quite a bit younger and more flexible then though.

-Rod

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insidejobrobsho13

Members online