Coolant flush

Jeff2017

SHO Member
Reaction score
Took my car to the Ford dealer to get the coolant flushed. I told them to use the yellow coolant. After I got the car back I looked in the overfill tank and thought it would be nice a yellow but it is more like a peach color with a hint of yellow tint. Obviously their flush is not a flush. I guess I will do a drain and refill at the next oil change to increase the concentration levels. That is what I get for trusting the dealer to do a simple task right.

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
Its mix able, you could give it a bit of a longer time (like a year) and then flush it out again and add yellow.

Half yellow and orange is still better than full orange. Well....for what we know now

gamefanatic

SHO Member
Reaction score
I just use Distilled and water wetter, and about 10% coolant most times. It rarely gets below 30°F here.

Did you have them check the hoses? They tend to break about this time of year...

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Agree they are mixable. You can do a drain or flush at home. I would do a partial every year for the next 2 yrs. Like a gallon or 2 each time. It holds a little over 3 gallons I think.

yaycandy

Aerospace Engineer
Reaction score
Agree they are mixable. You can do a drain or flush at home. I would do a partial every year for the next 2 yrs. Like a gallon or 2 each time. It holds a little over 3 gallons I think.

The whole system may be 3 gallons but ive flushed it myself many times and just within the past few months when i added my intake manifold spacer. 2 gallon jugs is more than enough, always end up with a little left over in the second gallon.

Ive always bled the system the old school "incorrect" way and i never had an issue. Fill it up, keep the cap off. Start the car, turn the heat on max blast. Let it run for 20 mins or so with some good revs every now and then and add till its at the hot line. Put cap back on. Then take it for a drive and recheck it. Have done it at least 5 times on this platform, as i change my coolant yearly and earlier with upgrades and motor swap. Never had an issue with air pockets in the system doing it that way

Last edited:

Jeff2017

SHO Member
Reaction score
I just use Distilled and water wetter, and about 10% coolant most times. It rarely gets below 30°F here.

Did you have them check the hoses? They tend to break about this time of year...
I assume the checked the hoses. but the car only has 28k on it so I would think they would last a few more years.

gamefanatic

SHO Member
Reaction score
I assume the checked the hoses. but the car only has 28k on it so I would think they would last a few more years.
Okay, just saw your profile picture. That's a Gen4, but posted in the Gen3 section. So makes sense the low mileage. Then you only have to worry abou the amount of years on the hoses. Usually with low mileage and about 10 years. This can be longer if you don't drive spirited.. ;)

Jeff2017

SHO Member
Reaction score
Okay, just saw your profile picture. That's a Gen4, but posted in the Gen3 section. So makes sense the low mileage. Then you only have to worry abou the amount of years on the hoses. Usually with low mileage and about 10 years. This can be longer if you don't drive spirited.. ;)
Yeah, I posted on the wrong forum and then I couldn't figure how to delete it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theexo

Members online