2013 SHO - Cam Phaser Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XkanedasbikeX

Reaction score
Hi There!

New member and proud (original) owner of a 2013 Taurus SHO with about 125K miles on it. I just had the timing chain and water pump replaced at a local shop and now I'm running into another issue. For context here's a brief history of how I got here...

1) Prior to the Timing Chain / Water Pump the Check Engine light came on, went off on it's own (same day, while driving) and then came on again a few days later.

2) Took it to a local Ford dealer and it was a code that referenced the Camshaft Position - P0016, but because they couldn't get to the car, the cleared the code and wished me luck.

3) A week later, or 2 cycles (I work from home so I don't drive often these days) the CEL came on again and I took it to another dealer who quoted me about $6K in parts and labor for a grocery list of items, including Timing Chain and Water Pump, Fuel Pump Assembly, High Pressure Pump, various seals, bolts, etc.. The car drove fine, no rough start, no engine knock, no loss of power, no indication of any issues other than the CEL.

4) Declined to have the work done at the dealer, but parked the car and found a local shop to replace the Timing Chain and Water Pump because I found about the 'stretched timing' chain issue for the 3.5L EcoBoost.

5) Which brings me to now, since the repair (which this shop said they did 3 times) the engine has a nasty cold engine knock (also audible at very low RPMs, thinking while in a drive-thru, or driving into a driveway or thru a parking lot (just not as loud as when starting) which sounds very much like this at 52 seconds into the video -

6) I was told by the shop that this would clear itself in a few days as it "takes time to build up the oil pressure in these engines and once that happens the rattle would no longer occur. Well today after work, started the car, had the rattle and the CEL came back on. Again, none of this was present prior to the replacement of the Timing Chain and Water Pump - I believe the replaced the tensioner as well but I'll need to reconfirm that when I take it back to them Monday morning.

I've been on Google for the better part of the evening and the only thing I could find is potential issues with the Cam Phasers, so I'd be grateful for any insight, recommendations, etc.

Thanks all,

B.

Tbird6

Reaction score
Did the shop that did all that work EVER work on an SHO before?
Maybe they are learning on your car?

XkanedasbikeX

Reaction score
Did the shop that did all that work EVER work on an SHO before?
Maybe they are learning on your car?
Well I sure hope that they're not learning on the job with my car. The friend that referred me said they've been doing work on her, her husbands and their extended family cars for a few years, and her husband is a Mustang fanatic (and his is pretty nice).

But you're leaning towards one of my fears, in that they royally f'ed it up. I have a call into the owner to have the difficult conversation, for him and for me.

B.

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, none of this was present prior to the replacement of the Timing Chain and Water Pump
Not properly aligning the timing chain and camshafts - not cam phasers... go to the video around 2:35, if this procedure was NOT properly followed.... problems will ensue. Get to the 5 minute marks. THEN listen from 17 min to 23 min.

Last edited:

Majestic

SHO Member
Reaction score
Did you ask for your old parts back? I've experienced shops that will put some of the old parts right back on to save money. I'd see if they have the old chain and pump at the very least.

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because that sounds like nonsense, or some other reason?

It sounded suspect to me, but I'm not a mechanic - the best I have is Google-fu which is how I found these forums.

-B
In the video I would like for you to watch when you can... they might of repurposed parts, the guy found the chain was stretching and replaced the chain, their is a tool to lock the cams in place, Ford doesnt mark top dead center, if the chain is stretched it could be causing your out of phase issues. You said your chain and pump were replaced, this guy on YT covered all the possible shortcuts that shop you hired didn't know or f'd up. FOR instance he said he likes to run the engine without fuel to listen for issues, and make sure the oil is circulated before starting the engine, did they do that? Or did they tell you low oil pressure could be an issue, since they didnt bother taking extra steps to make sure it was fixed properly, now putting the burden on you to answer.

If you have great google fu skills, find a FORD only locally owned shop/speed shop... one with experience working on Ford Ecoboost engines and hire a qualified mechanic. Asking folks to diagnose something to tell the shop over the internet - is a bit of a stretch. Look I took the time to watch all 28 mins of that video out of my own morbid curiosity - do the same, however more specifically - stop guessing, and find a real shop with trusted mechanics. Its hard - I get it... but my only advise. Good Luck :)

XkanedasbikeX

Reaction score
Not properly aligning the timing chain and camshafts - not cam phasers... go to the video around 2:35, if this procedure was NOT properly followed.... problems will ensue. Get to the 5 minute marks. THEN listen from 17 min to 23 min.

Very much appreciate this (sorry for the delayed response, currently at work).

B.

Tbird6

Reaction score
All good advice and one other tip is I have found Lincoln dealers seem to have more experience with Eco-Boost stuff than mainline Ford dealers.

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good advice and one other tip is I have found Lincoln dealers seem to have more experience with Eco-Boost stuff than mainline Ford dealers.
Sad state of affairs when the Techs are that bad - its not like Ford hasnt been selling Ecoboost engines by the millions :)

SO - what did the dealership techs say the potential or real problem was? Was it like I was eluding to - the original work done was not aligned properly and the cams were out of sequence with the timing?

Back