PTU Build Thread

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
Electric oil pump and remote reservoir would certainly aid in that solution....Earl's makes a really good electric oil pump.

I like this solution as well...it may take some experimenting on how high to place the reservoir and how much fluid to add. Don't want the pump overfilling the PTU before it can withdraw the fluid. I had this issue on an older Harley Evo engine I built. I installed a higher output oil pump on the engine thinking this would give me cooler temps being able to move the oil out of the engine into the oil bag (which acted as a heat exchanger of sorts). It turned out to be a nightmare of a problem as the pump was more efficient at pumping the hot oil out then putting oil back through the engine. The different viscosity's basically caused it to back up onto itself and I wasn't getting good oil pressure AND the oil would overflow out of the oil bag vent. I might be overthinking it but it was just a bad experience trying to find the balance between pump size, fluid amount and oil weights. The fix was...I had to fill it with less fluid and go down to a slightly lighter viscosity oil. Ended up working out, but took some experimentation.

Last edited:

Jbeck

I have NO IDEA what I'm doing!!
Reaction score
I like this solution as well...
it would be an easy install and could also be supplemented with an inline cooler/filter adding more cooling and filtration....I would only be concerned about volume because the PTU requires a specific level to be maintained inside at all times so calculations and flow rates would have to be adhered to in order to get the exchange rate desired while maintaining proper level in unit...I would suggest on that application to include a proportion valve and a sight glass to be utilized so it would be adjustable as well as proof of proper level requirement in unit. It sounds like alot but it really would be a basic closed loop system.

I have no doubt that there is enough experience and knowledge here in this forum to get this done with very reliable results and it sounds like you are willing to put in the work....that is a recipe for great success right there!

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
it would be an easy install and could also be supplemented with an inline cooler/filter adding more cooling and filtration....I would only be concerned about volume because the PTU requires a specific level to be maintained inside at all times so calculations and flow rates would have to be adhered to in order to get the exchange rate desired while maintaining proper level in unit...I would suggest on that application to include a proportion valve and a sight glass to be utilized so it would be adjustable as well as proof of proper level requirement in unit. It sounds like alot but it really would be a basic closed loop system.

LOL, I was editing my previous post as you typed this out...we have the same concerns...

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
After having so many nightmares with one of my twin turbos Camaros...I really shy away from oil pumps....lol.

High on Ethanol

Just Ain't Care
Reaction score
I like this solution as well...it may take some experimenting on how high to place the reservoir and how much fluid to add. Don't want the pump overfilling the PTU before it can withdraw the fluid. I had this issue on an older Harley Evo engine I built. I installed a higher output oil pump on the engine thinking this would give me cooler temps being able to move the oil out of the engine into the oil bag (which acted as a heat exchanger of sorts). It turned out to be a nightmare of a problem as the pump was more efficient at pumping the hot oil out then putting oil back through the engine. The different viscosity's basically caused it to back up onto itself and I wasn't getting good oil pressure AND the oil would overflow out of the oil bag vent. I might be overthinking it but it was just a bad experience trying to find the balance between pump size, fluid amount and oil weights. The fix was...I had to fill it with less fluid and go down to a slightly lighter viscosity oil. Ended up working out, but took some experimentation.

Well that blows my mind! I thought HARLEY owners just refilled the oil at every gas stop. Well dang!

Jbeck

I have NO IDEA what I'm doing!!
Reaction score
when talking about these issues and failures we have to keep in mind that these products were designed to do a job, that being its intended job for a specific time (usually a designated time past warranty defined by finite analysis software and US rules and regulations for almost everything you could possibly think of and most you cant) then these said designed parts go out to the lowest bidder for production and manufacturing... they are in no way perfect and in no way state of the art and always subject of enhancements or modifications to make a better more reliable product...that is where guys like us come in.

Last edited:

4sfed

SHO Member
Reaction score
Yes, it insulates, I think the biggest source of heat against the oil inside the PTU however is the catalyst that is very close to it. If anything, I could find some non-insulating reflective material...
Awesome. I wasn't trying to poo-poo on your idea. I'm thinking of doing the same thing and wanted to get your thoughts on the trade off.

I thinking of doing the same thing to the intake manifold as well! :). Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I wasn't trying to poo-poo on your idea. I'm thinking of doing the same thing and wanted to get your thoughts on the trade off.

I thinking of doing the same thing to the intake manifold as well! :). Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I've been seeing this gold foil stuff on alot more cars lately. I have mixed emotions about how effective it really is, but figure it is worth a shot. Any little bit helps I guess. I was watching a video about putting it on the intake tract and intake manifold. The video was saying the gains are negligible because the air is moving so fast through it. I think were it would be most effective for us on the intake manifold is in the middle where the "legs" of the IM go down. There is a coolant pipe that the IM straddles that gets pretty hot and radiates heat. I would spray it with ice water when I was at the track to help cool down the intake temps. Now I have that pipe ceramic coated, but I'll also be putting some of that foil underneath it.

skyshadow07

On a mission to get below 4000lbs
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, I'm currently on meds while recovering from a motorcycle wreck. BUT, what about wrapping the downpipes in DEI wrap to further help with heat?

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, I'm currently on meds while recovering from a motorcycle wreck. BUT, what about wrapping the downpipes in DEI wrap to further help with heat?
I'm not really a fan of wrapping exhaust TBH. I know it'll work decently, but it just holds moisture in and just kills the metal underneath over time. I don't know how many motorcycle exhaust pipes I've ruined over the years doing that, but it helped from keeping my leg from getting burned lol. Ceramic coating is about the same and more durable.

I am having downpipes made in 321 stainless instead of the typical 304 stainless. Ceramic coating isn't necessary with 321 as it retains the heat in similar fashion. It's just more pricey though. So it's one of the additional steps I'm taking to mitigate heat transfer in that area.

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
Internals back from WPC. Now to press the bearings back on and off to cryo...

y4m1Az4_GIp5PGuEuYfhEkerYubBrv_QBOR20uupsDzNMug0T0NgyMBHQNAGL0dbdFoty4E5_MGeduSt10WY7HBPJAnV-Q8qqqXNaSekEsiCNyjfV8CZd8KGoDmfmmx6iC_UjHMOHekTxXT6x9W77Lhljo91Fs7mr8Ra6oJdewR3ygBKMPPsMUOWeXuNm_ZgIefHEV28FJuSrU3A3boMD7KSw