Headlights & Front Bumper Question

bpopilek

Reaction score
Hey all! So last summer during Michigan's "Construction Season", I had a very nice Semi-Truck driver force me into a pair of orange barrels when he failed to yield. Since the barrels were a better option than hitting the truck, I chose that route. Needless to say the bumper was damaged, with two large cracks, one each side. Additionally, I found that the driver side headlight was working intermittently. When I would drive it at night, the headlight would go out after being on for maybe 5-10 min. However, if I shut the lights off and then right back on, it would come back on and start the process over again. I felt like it was a possible overheating issue at that time. Since I was disgusted and because I didn't want to file an insurance claim, I decided to just park it early for the winter and not think about it. However, now that Spring is on the way, I want to get her back into shape because I hate seeing her like this.

Firstly, would I need to replace the entire headlight since these are not normal headlight bulbs, or is there a replaceable bulb inside? Another thought was that something could just be loose causing the intermittent issue. I just wasn't sure how these work in order to look into that possibility. Is there a diagram or schematic that I could use to help me troubleshoot? Secondly, will any 2010-12 Taurus bumper cover fit the SHO or does it need to be a specific variant? I have checked eBay on and off, but have been unable to find a used one that was the same color as mine that I could just install and be done. I know years ago I was told that plastic bumpers couldn't be fixed and instead needed to be replaced. Is it possible / worth fixing them these days, or does that old statement still hold true?

Another thought I had was to replace the headlights and bumper with aftermarket ones. Are there any good quality aftermarket solutions that I should consider for replacing everything? I have always wanted a black grille for the front, so potentially a whole front 3rd party clip? If it comes down to it, I can still file an insurance claim to have it done right with stock components. I would just rather avoid paying the increased insurance premiums that always result from filing a claim.

I really appreciate any help or advice that any of you can give. Thank you for your time!

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Check Car-Part for options on a front bumper. They usually have colors listed. You can sort by distance or price. You can also check Headlight Assemblies there. The bulb is replaceable. I would say since it is parked, you have a second vehicle. I would take the bumper cover off, confirm anything else that is broken, and examine the headlight. Find out if it is broken or other issues. That will help you decide what you need. Some of the yards on Car-Part will give you better deals on multiple items.

jasong_10

SHO Member
Reaction score
I agree about pulling the bumper cover off the assess the damage accurately. In regards to the fix/replacement, check with a local body shop. Mine was pretty beat up when I got the car and I got one through my local body shop for $650 painted out the door.