Fuel Cell (Converting to Return Style)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
I’m starting this thread to document converting my returnless fuel system to a return style fuel system with the help from Aeromotive Fuel Systems Inc and Fuel Safe. I’m going after big power and I want a fuel system that can easily support that. Our OEM LPFP, DW300C upgrade and Walbro 525 (mod) aren’t going to cut it. I want something the pros use and it all started with an inquiry to Aeromotive.

Walking me through the process Brett C. from (Aeromotive Fuel Systems Inc) started me off with what type of fuel did I plan to use and what are my power goals. I said I wanted to use E85/100% meth and wanted to see a max output of 800awhp. Based on my turbos of choice he figured about 35 psi boost and derived an air to fuel ratio as a guide for a low pressure fuel pump. I did vocalize that I was willing to ditch the OEM tank and use a fuel cell. Well that opened up a bunch of doors that would otherwise be off the table.

I had my homework of contacting Fuel Safe and Xtreme-DI. Fuel Safe to ask for help choosing a fuel cell (Aeromotive and Fuel Safe frequently partner up) and to ask Xtreme-DI what the DI HPFP needed for pressure. So their DI pumps need at least 70 psi to operate efficiently and said as low as 60 psi will **** it. They also recommended installing an in line fuel pressure gauge stating that there is some pressure drop to the pump and what it says it has and what it actually has may not be the same, adding the more pressure the better. Brett’s plan is to have it at 70 psi constant for idle and low load and boost reference for higher loads and 90 psi constant WOT.

Scott from Fuel Safe has been very helpful and this is what I’ve got coming. IMG 9918IMG 9919
Today I had to quickly call and pay to add their sending unit provision and sending unit ohm range of 10-180 which is our OEM range. Thanks @Ecoboost_xsport for that info!

So this is a 12 gallon version which is 9.5” height (deep) and what Brett said will work with this badass brushless 3.5 GPM LPFP IMG 9912IMG 9911
It’s like the size of my Alky Control Meth pump! Massive! Check out the specs, it’ll easily support 1200hp on E85.IMG 9788
Brett said it’ll need a fuel pressure regulator installed in the engine bay right before the DI pump IMG 9916
He said the fuel will get cooled significantly on the return and back so nothing to worry about as far as hot fuel and city driving, he said you can “drive it anywhere”. I’m going to need a drive by wire tps signal so he recommended I find out if I can use this IMG 9920
Brett sold me all the hard parts along with Aeromotive’s fill plate. IMG 9817
Here’s a complete parts list from AeromotiveIMG 9860
I’m still waiting on the fuel cell but the plan is to get all the hard parts “roughed in” then I can call back and get lines made to exact lengths. And if I run into anything I’ve got Brett and Scott at a phone call away! Brett and I alone had almost 30 emails back and forth! Very good customer service for both companies! Stay tuned to see how this plays out! For reference this new return style fuel system is going to be integrated into the stock ecu for now and paired with Xtreme-DI 2000cc fuel injectors and the XDI60 HPFP.

bpd1151

Lurking Around
Reaction score
Interesting post.
Interesting product(s).

Love the out of the box thinking on this.

This build continues to be on track to be epic.

Cool stuff.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
maybe i missed it but why are you wanting to do this?
Because the fuel system is only as strong as what’s in the tank.

I want a rock solid system and I’m not waiting for a company to come along and make a one and done drop in solution for the OEM tank, that will likely never happen.
That was actually a question Aeromotive asked me, regarding having an OEM tank and doing some R&D to create a “drop in”. They asked me if there was a high demand for it and this is how our platform story goes….we get road blocked bc of our own disinterest to take things to a new level and I don’t mean the guys here on this forum but our platform owners as a whole are not interested in going this far so I answered his question quickly with a “no”, there won’t be high interest, dissolving more pipe dreams.

Being able to admit that means I’ve come to terms with it, but I don’t want to be held back by it. By opting to do a Fuel Cell I just eliminated “platform” out of the equation.

Built engine, fuel, boost, modified transmission, suspension, brakes, wheels/tires with engine and exhaust noises are all the luxury items I need in my SHO. Slowly stripping the car of its civilian form. I’m building a weapon.

Back