First impressions - XDI EVO HPFP and E30 (Base Tunes)

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Went back to all stock. Low pressure looked good. Slowly started adding things back. My low side pressure is always good now. Now I got high side issues. At idle, I am seeing about 600 and 1000-1200 is desired. If I go to 2500 rpm, my rail pressure and desired rail pressure equal out and it runs smooth. I am burned out and calling it a day. I'm starting to regret modding the car. Lots of money and doesn't seem to good right now. Hopefully, tuner can see something that I am missing.

stripSHO

Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Went back to all stock. Low pressure looked good. Slowly started adding things back. My low side pressure is always good now. Now I got high side issues. At idle, I am seeing about 600 and 1000-1200 is desired. If I go to 2500 rpm, my rail pressure and desired rail pressure equal out and it runs smooth. I am burned out and calling it a day. I'm starting to regret modding the car. Lots of money and doesn't seem to good right now. Hopefully, tuner can see something that I am missing.
1200 psi at idle is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too much pressure. Stock idle rail pressure is ~260 psi. I wouldn't be surprised if something in the pcm is deliberately restricting the HPFP command to maintain a minimum injector pulsewidth. Glancing at my latest log, idling in gear I have a 2.3 millisecond injector pulse at 255 psi rail pressure. Doing a rough linear conversion, 600 psi rail pressure coincidentally puts the injector pulse right at 1 millisecond. Any more pressure than 600 and the car would have a pretty hard time controlling fuel delivery. So I would not draw any conclusions about your fuel system just yet.

Did you by chance forget to swap your MAP sensor?

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
1200 psi at idle is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too much pressure. Stock idle rail pressure is ~260 psi. I wouldn't be surprised if something in the pcm is deliberately restricting the HPFP command to maintain a minimum injector pulsewidth. Glancing at my latest log, idling in gear I have a 2.3 millisecond injector pulse at 255 psi rail pressure. Doing a rough linear conversion, 600 psi rail pressure coincidentally puts the injector pulse right at 1 millisecond. Any more pressure than 600 and the car would have a pretty hard time controlling fuel delivery. So I would not draw any conclusions about your fuel system just yet.

Did you by chance forget to swap your MAP sensor?
No. It has the same 3 bar it has been running. All seemed good until tuner said hpfp was weak during WOT. Bought a used XDI-35 trying to avoid delays because it is a daily. Once I installed it and the new tune, something went downhill. Looking at ForScan at the desired fuel pressure PID is where I got my numbers. I will have to check what units it is in. I think my low side is sitting about 590. So I know it is not psi.

Ish416

Reaction score
I have submitted a few datalogs. Let's see what the issue is. I am thinking boost leak or something with throttle body not opening 100%. On a 3rd gear pull from 1800 rpm to 6500 rpm, I hit max boost of 11.89 PSI. Anyone know what accel pedal position D actually is, all I know is that it's unit is measured in % so, is throttle only opening 82.35 percent?

ridered74

SHO Member
Reaction score
I have submitted a few datalogs. Let's see what the issue is. I am thinking boost leak or something with throttle body not opening 100%. On a 3rd gear pull from 1800 rpm to 6500 rpm, I hit max boost of 11.89 PSI. Anyone know what accel pedal position D actually is, all I know is that it's unit is measured in % so, is throttle only opening 82.35 percent?

Yes 80% ish is normal for WOT.

SHOthyme

SHO Member
Reaction score
I thought it was just canned tunes and no data logs required

I'm not sure where you get your info but that is incorrect, I have at least 5 or 6 revisions on my e30 tune and I went 11's full weight on stock turbski's (no meth) which spike to about 20psi, so there is definitely something wrong with OP's car. I'm a no name guy that worked with Matt on logs so I'm not sure why I would receive special treatment. I have no affiliation with GH nor do I have any sponsors because this car is my daily. I felt an immediate difference between the AO tune and e30, even on the base file, but once I did some logging they just kept getting better and better.

I would also disagree about AO not having a place, my car is a daily which means sometimes I go out of town and have no clue what I will be able to get at other stations, I know I can load up the AO tune and be confident because it has done great on long distance drives netting up to 32 MPG over the road. File it under different strokes for different folks.

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you get your info but that is incorrect, I have at least 5 or 6 revisions on my e30 tune and I went 11's full weight on stock turbski's (no meth) which spike to about 20psi, so there is definitely something wrong with OP's car. I'm a no name guy that worked with Matt on logs so I'm not sure why I would receive special treatment. I have no affiliation with GH nor do I have any sponsors because this car is my daily. I felt an immediate difference between the AO tune and e30, even on the base file, but once I did some logging they just kept getting better and better.

I would also disagree about AO not having a place, my car is a daily which means sometimes I go out of town and have no clue what I will be able to get at other stations, I know I can load up the AO tune and be confident because it has done great on long distance drives netting up to 32 MPG over the road. File it under different strokes for different folks.
I think the biggest thing about the AO tune is the knock. Many people have commented on it, and it just seems GH is like MEH.

SHOthyme

SHO Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing about the AO tune is the knock. Many people have commented on it, and it just seems GH is like MEH.
I usually only see knock in the winter so I'll throw in 1-2 gallons of E if I'm running the AO tune (which isn't often), but this is MN, so even our 93 is crap in the winter from all of the additives. :shrug:

Edited to add: I did have some knock, but found out my splash guard on the bottom of the car had a broken clip so it was flapping in the breeze, once I pulled that off it has been good to go.

Last edited:

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score

Without sharing a log, if you zero in on your WOT pull, what is your WGDC during the pull? If you have a leak, it will be at 100% full pull assuming that the turbos can't correct the leak. You may also see sky high fuel trims, where the car is pulling fuel to account for the lack of boost compared to what it is anticipating. What is your spark advance v2 sustaining at, and what boost are you actually seeing sustained during the pull (not the spike)?

@mattr66 will get you taken care of, but it may take a few days coming off the weekend, we're all busy this time of year.

stripSHO

Idiot Savant
Reaction score
No. It has the same 3 bar it has been running. All seemed good until tuner said hpfp was weak during WOT. Bought a used XDI-35 trying to avoid delays because it is a daily. Once I installed it and the new tune, something went downhill. Looking at ForScan at the desired fuel pressure PID is where I got my numbers. I will have to check what units it is in. I think my low side is sitting about 590. So I know it is not psi.
k just wanted to make sure. Since you said you went all the way to stock I assumed that would have involved swapping map sensors around. Fuel rail targets are based on the sensed load, so a 2 bar installed where a 3 bar should be could contribute to weird rail pressure targets, among several other more obvious issues.

Ish416

Reaction score
Without sharing a log, if you zero in on your WOT pull, what is your WGDC during the pull? If you have a leak, it will be at 100% full pull assuming that the turbos can't correct the leak. You may also see sky high fuel trims, where the car is pulling fuel to account for the lack of boost compared to what it is anticipating. What is your spark advance v2 sustaining at, and what boost are you actually seeing sustained during the pull (not the spike)?
The pull started in 3rd gear at 1800 RPM and is making 6 psi with 37% WGDC, by 2500 RPM, boost has built to 9.5 psi and 47% WGDC, where it holds until 3500 RPM where it creeps to 10 psi and 50.27% WGDC and rises to 11.74 psi (peak boost psi) and 58% WGDC at 4560 RPM, boost stays in the 11 psi range until 5750 RPM then it holds between 9.7 - 10 psi until 6500 RPM and hits max WGDC of 66%. For the entire run OAR is 0.28 and long term fuel trims are 1.23 and 1.27.

stripSHO

Idiot Savant
Reaction score
The pull started in 3rd gear at 1800 RPM and is making 6 psi with 37% WGDC, by 2500 RPM, boost has built to 9.5 psi and 47% WGDC, where it holds until 3500 RPM where it creeps to 10 psi and 50.27% WGDC and rises to 11.74 psi (peak boost psi) and 58% WGDC at 4560 RPM, boost stays in the 11 psi range until 5750 RPM then it holds between 9.7 - 10 psi until 6500 RPM and hits max WGDC of 66%. For the entire run OAR is 0.28 and long term fuel trims are 1.23 and 1.27.
+0.26 OAR is atrocious and 100% the reason you're not getting much boost. The car is saving itself from detonation. Fuel trims, too, are way out of control and maybe a factor to why the car is knocking so bad. I'd be curious to see what else is going on. It's really a lot easier to just post up the log instead of trying to narrate the play by play. .zip it to attach

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
Like @stripSHO said. Those numbers are dog shit. We need to get the OAR up first and go from there. Are you getting fuel from the same place everytime?

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
I have been using our local Caseys, for both 93 and E85.
Is Casey's Top Tier? I checked the Top Tier website and they are not listed under that name. Personally, I always try to stick with a Top Tier distributor. I was going to Sheetz and my OAR was terrible. Found out they were not Top Tier. Switched to Meijer on my next tank and within a couple miles, my OAR was excellent. Car felt like it gained a lot of power just switching brands (not octane).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online