Back again... cuz I had a crazy idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1madSHO

SHO Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... the OG members might know me. Been floating around this forum off and on since 2004 with my multiple SHOs owned I'm my life. I pop in as a guest from time to time to see how things are going... but now I wanted to say hello again... and solicit advice for my craaaazy idea I just came up with.

I've been sorta keeping an eye on an 89 Probe that looks like it's been sitting in a field since the late 90s. The interior is damn near flawless still and would make a good project to tinker with. I was scoping various Mazda options and then it hit me... wouldn't it be cool if that thing had an SHO motor stuffed in it. I was kinda joking at first... but the more I think about it... the more I kinda wanna do it. I seen someone already did it with pretty solid results.

I wanted to get the group conscience on this... what does the SHO fans think?!

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
I would do it. It would be pretty unique.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Is the probe a fwd config? Maybe if the fitment dimensions are close. Anything that gets someone fired up enough to make something new with this old platform works for me.

1madSHO

SHO Member
Reaction score
Is the probe a fwd config? Maybe if the fitment dimensions are close. Anything that gets someone fired up enough to make something new with this old platform works for me.
Probe is fwd... based off the 626/MX6 chassis.

I know Mazda engines would be a straight forward swap... not sure how well Ford motors would transfer.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
The transmissions were Mazda based but that engine/heads is so big for that era. There should be measuring dimensions archived somewhere on here.

Qshiplvr

SHO Member
Reaction score
If I remember the one time a guy mated an MTX to the Gen3 V8 the 5-speed MTX transmission came from the Probe/MX6. But I'm guessing you're talking about a straight up V6 to V6 swap of the Gen 1/2 flavor, right?

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sound like a great project. there are examples on the internet so its possible

1madSHO

SHO Member
Reaction score
If I remember the one time a guy mated an MTX to the Gen3 V8 the 5-speed MTX transmission came from the Probe/MX6. But I'm guessing you're talking about a straight up V6 to V6 swap of the Gen 1/2 flavor, right?
Yeah... my first thought was the 3.0/3.2 from the first 2 gens. MTX mandatory. But... a 3.4 V8...that would be even more awesome.

Which do you think would be more available?! And cost effective?! I'm sure we know good Manual trannys that mount to the V8 by now.

Hmm.

@Irish Pride how the heck are ya?! I see you're still milling around.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Yeah... my first thought was the 3.0/3.2 from the first 2 gens. MTX mandatory. But... a 3.4 V8...that would be even more awesome.

Which do you think would be more available?! And cost effective?! I'm sure we know good Manual trannys that mount to the V8 by now.

Hmm.

@Irish Pride how the heck are ya?! I see you're still milling around.
I'm on here everyday pretty much like clockwork. Lol

-Chad

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Probe around the v8 section and mailing list (see what I did there?). I know older v6 parts are hit and miss, but they had a much bigger run. Make sure critical replacement parts are still available for the v8 engine

Tbird6

Reaction score
It's been done more than once already??

Take a look?

SHO in a Probe

6 speed MT and heck it's even turbocharged as well!

Back