89 master widow switch bad ?

shobote

SHO Member
Reaction score
All 4 windows will go down with master switch, but none of them go up with it. The individual switches on the 3 passenger windows work, up and down, but the drivers window is stuck down. Is this a bad master switch ? I removed the switch and cleaned the contacts, no difference.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
That would be my first guess. the individual switches work up and down. Often a bad master will prevent electrical power from even getting to other switches in the circuit. First best guess is bad switch. I don't imagine the lock feature is in play here? I rarely get into my SHO the last 3 yrs so certain stuff not at top of mind

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
If you have a multimeter the master switch is pretty easy to test. You obviously already know how to remove the switch since you've cleaned the contacts. It seems a bit odd that a single failure could cause none of the windows to go up via the master switch, but allow them all to go down. That indicates both power and ground are present at the switch and getting to the individual door switches. Based on the wiring diagram I cannot come up with a more practical place to start than the master switch either, but I'm really struggling with that. It would almost require an "UP" ground bus to be open circuit within the switch.

-Rod

shobote

SHO Member
Reaction score
Tried it with the window lock on and off, no difference. There is a slight motor sound at first for a second, but nothing more; I imagine not enough voltage is getting through the switches. so time to find a replacement

bpd1151

Lurking Around
Reaction score
Link to website?

I have to look into a switch for my '01 SE that I still keep around.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk