Traction Concepts LSD Conversion Kit

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
Traction Concepts LSD conversion kit installed in my 2014 SHO 6F55 AWD front differential! The welded diff is coming out!E36EB763 4C5E 4C6B BDBF 8BE22FAC9C7259B73140 DBB1 406F BEDF CC955F83E11C

Thanks to Brian A.K.A. @Bluezone for coming across this product for our GM cousin the 6T70/75 transmission. There are numerous similarities between our transmissions especially since it’s design was a GM/Ford tag team of sorts. Not enough information can be obtained from looking at pictures alone, I found and bought a GM 6T70/75 front diff on EBay. And boy was I excited to verify with digital calipers that the housing, axle and spider gears, as well as the shaft pin were all the same dimensions including the spacing!

After verifying the dimensions I purchased the LSD kit. https://www.tractionconcepts.com/Chevy-Impala-LTZ-6T70-HD-Upgrade-LSD-Kit-p/tcxchg5323.htm First offered as is without a heavy duty option, I learned after I received the LSD kit that they had a light duty and heavy duty version. Light duty springs were good for 300-350hp or so and the heavy duty springs for up to 600hp+ applications. I quickly contacted Traction Concepts and found I had the light duty springs (Red) in color and they sent me their heavy duty upgrade (green) springs and I swapped them out using a vice and a heavy heart as it’s like a small fragment grenade! Edit: Traction Concepts corrected me on this. They have several spring rates and applications. From 250-350hp, 350-550hp, 550-600+hp and even 1000+Hp applications. The color can change and red doesn’t automatically mean “Light Duty” and green doesn’t mean it’s automatically “Heavy Duty”. They prefer you to consult with them on your HP goals and needs to get the appropriate spring rates.6E6570D7 0BD0 432E A6E6 BBBACBA1C03350B7DE3C 665E 488A 8C68 B1921B0B9866E671C24A 7FB3 438A 96FA A8071C106298
Next part and most important was determining how much material to remove from the axle and spider gears. Using the GM diff as my guide, I came up with these numbers and all work was performed at a local machine shop. The kit does come with directions and states you could use a bench grinder but @aaron240 and @Ecoboost_xsport strongly advised me not to use a bench grinder. They were both very helpful with input and recommendations. It took some back and forth with the machine shop and gears but this is the cheat sheet of results needed. 470C6F6A C02F 4DC0 8E3B C0EB3ABF749E4888425F 0F3C 4FBE A1D0 ACF95A76DA7A
And evidently I let the cat out of the bag with Traction Concepts regarding their GM kit actually being in a Ford 6F55 diff and explained that initially I didn’t disclose that for fear of resistance and they love it, this is what they do and they want to find more applications for their products. Their online support (email correspondence) has far exceeded my expectations.

As much as I thought I was in the clear with getting this installed, I hit a snag with the shaft pin passing through the LSD kit. Traction Concepts informed me to release the side brackets, allowing the LSD to open slightly and send the shaft pin through. Unfortunately I still hit a little, causing no damage to the shaft pin and only causing minor cosmetic damage to the radius of the LSD kit. But after using a Dremel sand barrel to smooth it out, I actually found that I was able to pass the shaft pin through the LSD kit. Of which final assembly was a breeze, allowing the shaft pin and coder pin of the diff to be fully reinstalled “prior” to pulling off the side brackets. A23ABDEF F83C 4CA2 B239 2A4AD8346148DEC943BC 30B4 407D A198 80578351A183AFE2BE67 37A4 49D5 A3A7 2FBABB01528F
Full install video filmed just need to edit it. Also still waiting on Traction Concepts to verify adding our specific Ford Ecoboost AWD SHO, Flex, Explorer, Edge and MKS LSD Conversion Kit to their website! Stay tuned for that and the install video!

Last edited:

bpd1151

Lurking Around
Reaction score
D.amnit Andrew..... you're making me go down yet another rabbit hole of expenditures.

Gggrrrrr. I dislike AND like you, all at the same time.

I'm gonna have to reach out to you when I get a break in the action at/from work. Been very hectic as of late.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
D.amnit Andrew..... you're making me go down yet another rabbit hole of expenditures.

Gggrrrrr. I dislike AND like you, all at the same time.

I'm gonna have to reach out to you when I get a break in the action at/from work. Been very hectic as of late.
No worries, I figured although early in the game to jump up and down that I got it installed as it’s not yet tested others, including yourself might want to know about this now, not later.

BweegN

SHO Member
Reaction score
COMIN IN HOT ! ! Good timing as I'm about to bust into my trans.
Thanks for the early morning write up and keep us posted. C'mon stage 1 clutches and we're doing good!

Edit: If this grows like I think it may and modification is still required to gears or any complex angles, I may have a solid connection with a CNC that could turn these out for us for a great price. Just something to keep in mind. Though from what I see a good ole bridgeport seems sufficient.

Last edited:

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
COMIN IN HOT ! ! Good timing as I'm about to bust into my trans.
Thanks for the early morning write up and keep us posted. C'mon stage 1 clutches and we're doing good!

Edit: If this grows like I think it may and modification is still required to gears or any complex angles, I may have a solid connection with a CNC that could turn these out for us for a great price. Just something to keep in mind. Though from what I see a good ole bridgeport seems sufficient.
I paid $150 to have the gears machined. A8D52F1F 09C2 42D1 84A9 D176E39DDA35

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
That's some nice looking hardware there. Are you doing the reassembly or a shop? I know I'm not adept. Looking forward to how it performs.
I did reassembly and it’s pretty easy especially after I tried it the hard way several times before simplifying the process and filming it that way so that you don’t waste your time like me doing it harder not smarter.

Bluezone

Tailgaters will be prosecuted.
Reaction score
No problem. I was a little concerned when I realized we'd come to the point of welding differentials and needed a new option. Hopefully I can get somewhere on getting some cams made. But this is Andrews thread. All the hard work is his.

Don't forget to spread the word to the other forums guys.

Last edited:

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score
Great to hear it all worked out. They actually reached back out to me last week asking how things were going, but sounds like you already have them filled it. Excited to see what it will do when you get it back out to the track.

Majestic

SHO Member
Reaction score
No problem. I was a little concerned when I realized we'd come to the point of welding differentials and needed a new option. Hopefully I can get somewhere on getting some cams made. But this is Andrews thread. All the hard work is his.

Don't forget to spread the word to the other forums guys.
I've reached out to my 2.3t guy about cams. I will never need them, but I'll let you know if he's interested.

jasong_10

SHO Member
Reaction score
Also still waiting on Traction Concepts to verify adding our specific Ford Ecoboost AWD SHO, Flex, Explorer, Edge and MKS LSD Conversion Kit to their website! Stay tuned for that and the install video!
Does this mean they are developing/putting together a kit that wouldn't require the modification/machining?

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
Does this mean they are developing/putting together a kit that wouldn't require the modification/machining?
A kit that doesn’t require you to machine the radius of the LSD conversion plates to accept the shaft pin. No matter what you’ll have to machine the axle and spider gears. You need to have those gear surfaces flat and able to accept the size of the LSD into the housing with gears installed.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
This just in, quoted from Traction Concepts.

Sorry for any delay in responses, Andrew.

You can let those interested know, they can contact us anytime. Until we tighten up the listings and add them to the site, we can send them an invoice.

Additionally, for some models, we offer the LSD Conversion/ plus the gear set purchase. This selection when available, comes with an optional core OEM gear refund of $199.00This LSD/Gear Set kit makes for an easy plug and play install taking out the gear prep step. The diff pin will not be an issue since we would have taken care of this on our end being the manufacturer. The end user would have the gear prep machining to be done on their end, or we will do the install in house if they send the diff to us.”

Send an email to [email protected]. Attn: Gina.

Last edited:

BweegN

SHO Member
Reaction score
This just in, quoted from Traction Concepts.

Sorry for any delay in responses, Andrew.

You can let those interested know, they can contact us anytime. Until we tighten up the listings and add them to the site, we can send them an invoice.

Additionally, for some models, we offer the LSD Conversion/ plus the gear set purchase. This selection when available, comes with an optional core OEM gear refund of $199.00This LSD/Gear Set kit makes for an easy plug and play install taking out the gear prep step. The diff pin will not be an issue since we would have taken care of this on our end being the manufacturer. The end user would have the gear prep machining to be done on their end, or we will do the install in house if they send the diff to us.”
Is there anyone specific we should reach out to?

I just watched their process on youtube. Not such a fan of their grinding procedure but they must clean them up nice. I'm thinking keeping that part local in is my best interest.
Thanks again everyone involved for the leg work. This is exciting!
Wishing I had a crystal ball to know if my HP for spring selection.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
Is there anyone specific we should reach out to?

I just watched their process on youtube. Not such a fan of their grinding procedure but they must clean them up nice. I'm thinking keeping that part local in is my best interest.
Thanks again everyone involved for the leg work. This is exciting!
Wishing I had a crystal ball to know if my HP for spring selection.
I edited in contact info above! I would just go for 550+. It’s still streetable and will be adequate for your needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online

No members online now.