Possible Damage From Pluggin in Chip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SalukiSHO

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Bought a 92 in August and found a tuning chip in the glovebox. Could it damage anything If I plug it into the ecu? If I were to plug it in how should I to not damage anything? Unsure what is on it....

Attachments

• 20230811_073259.jpg
    20230811_073259.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 12

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
There is no way to know what it was programmed to do. You might be able to load a tune on it but I would not mess with it. You won't unlock any hidden power you could notice.

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
Also, since that IC has a window on it, it may be an EPROM that can be erased by UV light. Since there's no black tape over the window and it appears to have been exposed to UV, it could have at least some corruption taking place. It's been a lot of years since I learned about the UV erasable memory so I don't recall if there are any other protections (like voltage applied to certain pins along with UV light). I'm just tossing out one more caution against plugging that unknown device into your PCM.

-Rod

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Most of us used eprom chips to operate larger MAF, maybe some other bolt ons like y-pipe/exhaust, a few had some custom ground cams. Stock MAF is more than enough for naturally aspirated running including all bolt ons. You really need the chip to get many non stock aftermarket MAF's to play nice. Not alot of power to unleash with any of that stuff. You really need a tune to optimize something like forced induction to get it to run.

I have had about every bolt on available, a few eprom chips etc. Not a game changer. If you want more noticeable power you have to change the characteristics of the motor (overbore/higher compression or forced induction of some type).

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is the ribbon style as Shosource mentions on their site, that is the only one they can still tune. As luigisho mentions above, you would need to do a lot to see a benefit.

Last edited:

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
That is the lpm low profile mounting chip to the access port. Same function more compact form factor. Ribbon is a different style product does same stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MW91

Members online

Back