Tunes Gearhead or ortiz???

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.beck2010.SHO

Reaction score
Hey guys
I’m getting a tuner and right now I’m leaning very heavily on the Gearhead tune and performance package with the plugs map sensor thermostat you guys know what I’m talking about, but I’d like some input from the community I just recently found Ortiz so I’m not very educated on them is there any others I should be considering?

Please for the love of god no livernoise recommendations I’m not going with them extremely overpriced and poor quality in my opinion

Thanks in advance

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Look into the reviews on the Forums. The top 3 I feel I have seen (in alphabetical order) are AJPTurbo, Gearhead, and Ortiz. They all have pros and cons and it really depends on your needs, your priorities, and your opinion. As you look through, you will see reviews that further back your above hesitancy.

B.beck2010.SHO

Reaction score
I’ve definitely done some research on here already I could just be a **** poor forum searcher lol but here is where I came across Ortiz and I’ve stuff I have found has been good, I should of clarified my goals though for lack of a better term off the top of my im building a street light to street light racer I guess this cars never going to the track maybe once for ***** and giggles but I’m not concerned with my quarter mile time at all, I want a fun fast reliable daily-ish driver motor is brand new 6k miles have a tranny being rebuilt picked up a ptu, rear carrier and both turbos with 50k on them doing trans mounts when the new one goes in

B.beck2010.SHO

Reaction score
My opinions on livernoise where lived first hand basically with a friends car unfortunately was a giant mess that pretty much took another company to correct in the end when it was all said and done

DadMobile

Worlds 3rd least slowest Ecoboost SHO
Reaction score
Hey guys
I’m getting a tuner and right now I’m leaning very heavily on the Gearhead tune and performance package with the plugs map sensor thermostat you guys know what I’m talking about, but I’d like some input from the community I just recently found Ortiz so I’m not very educated on them is there any others I should be considering?

Please for the love of god no livernoise recommendations I’m not going with them extremely overpriced and poor quality in my opinion

Thanks in advance
GHT all day. GHT and AJP are the best in platform.

WhamBam

Reaction score
I wish I could see the dragy pull for the 8k rpm shift lol.. maybe with upgraded valve springs and built motor but Jesus Christ I’ve missed a shift on Livernois and redlined at high 6s which shattered the porcelain on one of my plugs

DadMobile

Reaction score
Just my two cents I've had Ortiz for going on a year with no issues and runs great.
It seems to be a coin flip if you get a good tune, I was just talking to a guy a couple weeks ago that got an Ortiz tune with horrible shifting issues some other problems. Hopefully they get it figured out!

DadMobile

Reaction score
I wish I could see the dragy pull for the 8k rpm shift lol.. maybe with upgraded valve springs and built motor but Jesus Christ I’ve missed a shift on Livernois and redlined at high 6s which shattered the porcelain on one of my plugs
That’s crazy, lucky you didn’t lose the motor!

Reaction score
It seems to be a coin flip if you get a good tune, I was just talking to a guy a couple weeks ago that got an Ortiz tune with horrible shifting issues some other problems. Hopefully they get it figured out!

Not saying in any way your experience isn't valid but everything I read over the years everyone has recommended Gearhead or Ortiz depending on driving styles. Things may have changed since I received my tune/parts.

Just my experience I initially talked with Matt at Gearhead (mostly because he was closer to Dallas.) At the time he didn't have plugs for the tuning kit. Matt was very responsive and straight up. Because I quickly wanted a tune I got the kit from Ortiz. The car ran like a whole different car right as soon as I downloaded. I didn't even bother logging because I am very happy with it. Shifts are tight/rev limiter is there/super responsive. I've ordered bolt on parts from Ortiz with no issues shipping/receiving. Lee has been super helpful and answered my questions via messenger on a weekend when I was scratching my head on installing parts.

Again not saying your differences with them isn't valid. Just giving my side of experience with Ortiz.

Last edited:

DadMobile

Reaction score
Just think if you were one of t
Not saying in any way your experience isn't valid but everything I read over the years everyone has recommended Gearhead or Ortiz depending on driving styles. Things may have changed since I received my tune/parts.

Just my experience I initially talked with Matt at Gearhead (mostly because he was closer to Dallas.) At the time he didn't have plugs for the tuning kit. Matt was very responsive and straight up. Because I quickly wanted a tune I got the kit from Ortiz. The car ran like a whole different car right as soon as I downloaded. I didn't even bother logging because I am very happy with it. Shifts are tight/rev limiter is there/super responsive. I've ordered bolt on parts from Ortiz with no issues shipping/receiving. Lee has been super helpful and answered my questions via messenger on a weekend when I was scratching my head on installing parts.

Again not saying your differences with them isn't valid. Just giving my side of experience with Ortiz.

That’s why I said it’s like a coin flip, some people get a working tune and others don’t. I’m glad your one of the folks that got a good tune but what about those who don’t. 8kshifts, 7kshifts, 6900rpm shifts, fuel pressure issues, none of these are caused by a persons driving style. Tuning style, yes.

Many people have been sold some wonky tunes and anytime it’s brought up people downplay it or worse. You’ll notice that none of the people that have SHO’s on the higher HP side or go to the track regularly run Ortiz. Within minutes of posting that video I linked people started contacting me sharing their messed up tuning experiences as well.

They have also lied straight to my face and the entire community when I brought up the 8k shift by denying or saying I was getting bad info from former customers. Even on this forum I was accused of “libel and slander” from an Ortiz employee who knew exactly what I was taking about when he made those accusations. That’s what prompted me to make that video. I would also like to note they have gone silent on this issue since the data log went public. Hmmmm.

HellCow

Reaction score
Sucks that happened. But I dont see an issue with 7k shifts IF thats what a customer wants. Its 500 rpm more than stock, and thats where the NA versions move their shift point to I believe, with stock valvetrain. Theres just no power there due to backpressure. Potentially, you could over speed the turbo though.

Id argue to move our shift points earlier given the torque curves abd gearing we have.

Anyway, sorry to hijack.

bpd1151

Lurking Around
Reaction score
Kind of funny, in an ironic kind of way, because after my debacle (which I documented incredibly well after remaining quiet and gathering info for 3 months plus before going public) with that nasty L vendor who's name I can't even bear to spew from my lips anymore......

They too went silent and completely abandoned the communities and platform for all inclusive purposes (they've since targeted the Dodge/Chrysler/RAM owners ----- which is scary for those owners who don't know better).

So I'm not implying the two situations are synonymous with each other, but the correlations of the resulting actions on each vendors behalves, I definitely find ironic.

B.beck2010.SHO

Reaction score
No apologies necessary this is exactly the kind of conversations I was looking for firsthand experiences, and im sure there’s guys with good experiences too, but from my research and so far here the Gearhead guys seem to be widely accepted for putting out consistent quality and I haven’t heard any horror story’s with them, and like I stated originally just me building something I can hopefully sh’t on a Hemi’s and JDM’s with

stripSHO

Idiot Savant
Reaction score
GHT all day. GHT and AJP are the best in platform.
Alright, I call BULLSH.IT.

How about you attach this alleged smokin' gun datalog so that those who actually know what they're looking at can scrutinize your [third party] claims? From what little I can see in your blurry screenshot of an unverifiable log of unknown authenticity from an unknown vehicle running an unknown tune, it kinda gives the impression of a stick shift car. Slow shifts, erratic RPM trace, inexplicably downshifting to 6000 rpm to start with... hmmm maybe you are in fact getting fed bad info??? Or maybe just so desperate for attention that you spent the whopping 30 seconds it would take to modify the log? I dunno, but I'm not taking your word for it and nobody else should either. The most preposterous part of this story is that someone supposedly stood on the gas for 7 freaking seconds through this ordeal. Not a single part of "your" incredibly detail-lacking story adds up. So, yeah, please kindly upload this log (need to do so as a .zip) or ****.

Wow G.T.F.O. is not allowed

stripSHO

Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Kind of funny, in an ironic kind of way, because after my debacle (which I documented incredibly well after remaining quiet and gathering info for 3 months plus before going public) with that nasty L vendor who's name I can't even bear to spew from my lips anymore......

They too went silent and completely abandoned the communities and platform for all inclusive purposes (they've since targeted the Dodge/Chrysler/RAM owners ----- which is scary for those owners who don't know better).

So I'm not implying the two situations are synonymous with each other, but the correlations of the resulting actions on each vendors behalves, I definitely find ironic.
Lol Lee posted 16 times this week. Daddy's boy is just mad that they won't keep responding to his trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online

No members online now.