Timing chain replacement

Riverarat563

Reaction score
About to start a timing chain replacement on a 14. Is there a way to tell if the chain is bad before taking the timing cover off? I have a poor idle and throwing codes for cam crank correlation on banks 1 and 2. Looking at ordering a cloyes set from rock auto. Anyone know if there is a difference in the 3 cloyes sets they offer as far as quality. One comes just chains guides and tensioners, next one adds gears and final one adds the water pump. Also anyone have a recommendation to source phasers and oil pump? Also any other input advice or help os greatly appreciated.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
Boundary makes billet oil pump gears. Tasca or Fordpartsgiant is where I would look first. Perhaps worth replacing both cam shaft position sensors as well?

BadBrad

Reaction score
My water pump crapped out at around 75k miles; shop swapped out the chain and its fixings at the same time. Very disappointing (on a car that is very well maintained) - by the way.

Riverarat563

Reaction score
Had found a nice write up on the chain replacement the other day and now I cannot find it. Anyone know have a link to it? I believe it was 2 pages long. Was gonna print it off as a refrence

gwrabbit

SHO Member
Reaction score

I know it's an F150 video but I would assume it would be relatively the same process since we have the same Engine.

If you're doing the timing chain, do the water pump, phasers, tensioners, the whole 9. The last thing you'd want is to do the timing chain and then have the water pump shit out shortly after.

My shop used the Cloyes timing kit (90738SB) and the water pump (Sondalle)