How to reinstall your 6F55 trans by Yourself.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
Just wanted to share how I went about doing this myself. You need an engine hoist, some thick cable, car should already be on jack stands. You’ll need a regular floor jack, a pallet cut in half and a lot of patience.

Aside from giving yourself plenty of room to work with, space to maneuver the hoist legs that 4ft long or so, the entire front end should be off meaning, intake, battery, intercooler, radiator, ac condenser, core support, impact bar…which should already be off.

I dragged the trans out of the garage on the full size pallet, picked the trans up with the hoist and cut the pallet in half and lowered it back down. Then slowly half picked it up/slid it back in the garage where I set myself up near the engine bay with the hoist. The pallet cut in half is nice bc it fits in between the legs of the hoist and you can pick it up rather easily.
A7B041CB 7EA0 45D1 A62D BCDB32DA693C

What I installed the top trans mount to the transmission and torqued it down to 90nm. This is where I ran the cables through and back up to the hoist. DDC59D2B 83A5 45E7 97E7 7410DBE1C72C
0C376F17 D1F6 48C1 B4A4 CBDC26710C32Then I had to slide the legs of the hoist over as I didn’t have enough room to fully position it where I wanted. The hoist steers from the back so it was easier to jump to almost my ideal position by sliding it. AF19D274 D44D 463D 81C4 8653FE0A08A9
From here it’s a lot of maneuvering and slow moving. In and out and trying to inch closer to the right, as well as go in further and intermittently stop, slowly (SLOWLY) lower the hoist and go in, slowly lower and go in further. Then I took my floor jack handle off, placed it in between the hoist legs, then put the handle back on and with a scrap piece of wood, started to support and straighten out the trans from underneath.EE43BBCB A290 455B 96D9 0B63D5EC92AA
This was the fastest part. Lining it up with the top trans mount engine bay holes, and both lower trans mounts was a PITA.

1) I’ll start by saying, get it into position with the hoist and jack to where the top trans mount is 90% lined up, hand thread the lower 13mm bolts in. You may need to keep a hand on the trans from time to time to push it closer. Then hand thread in the two top trans mount 13mm bolts. Start to tighten them but leave them slightly loose.

2) Make sure your front trans mount (bracket) is on the transmission already, I had removed mine when I unbolted the trans, I spent a lot of time trying to position the transmission to bolt it back up again with the lower trans mount attached to it……DO NOT waste your time doing the same. Attach the lower trans mount (transmission side) bracket first (2) (15mm) Then it’s easier to then attach the front lower trans mount itself. All the lower trans mount bolts are (15mm).

3) Keep using the floor jack and hoist right up until the end.

4) Remove the lower rear trans mount from the subframe. Attach the lower rear trans mount (transmission side) and transmission bracket first, hand threading and THEN attempt to attach the trans mount (dog bone) to the subframe. I was able to get the last 15mm bolt through the trans mount with a thin pry bar to keep pressure on the mount in the direction (away) from the subframe to finally send it home (hand threading). I then torqued all top trans mount (13mm) bolts to 90 nm. And all (15mm) lower trans mounts and trans bracket bolts to 90 nm. Then I lowered the floor jack, and removed the cable off the top trans mount. 5C8680F6 0781 4CC0 9466 478902C121CCF3F9FA0A 32BD 4FB5 BC4D 301A60090B9C2D23A10D EEF0 4295 8011 1BD58A31C8359007FFC6 745C 4654 B426 07BF7D9B09CD

There she is. My “Experiment” 2014 SHO salvaged trans with 61k, Traction Concepts Limited Slip conversion, drained of all the old fluid, new trans filter, new valve body filter, new cover gasket, new output shaft seals, resealed and all the sequence of bolts installed to spec and torqued to (12 NM Trans reservoir cover, valve body bolts) and (38 ft/lbs trans case). Bc I believe I was experiencing a bad valve body 3-5-R in my 2010….I uninstalled my 2010 valve body out of the 2014 trans and reinstalled the 2014 valve body. So it will need a TCM update. Nothing more satisfying than achieving the goals you set for yourself. I hope this helps anyone trying to do the same and hopefully it will be a smoother install for you than it was for me. Just one way to do it. Good luck!

Last edited:

Bluezone

Tailgaters will be prosecuted.
Reaction score
Umm, now that the transmission is back in, aren't you back above 3800 lbs??

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
Umm, now that the transmission is back in, aren't you back above 3800 lbs??
No 3800 is the car with everything in it not including me. When I weighed it for the day I set the platform record it was 4030 or so with me (205) in it. I don’t know the exact weight bc some of the digits on the scale are not readable. So I saw 403?.

Bronco2fan

SHO Member
Reaction score
Dude, I seriously don't know where you get the time or energy for everything you've done and are doing for that car. I really enjoy reading your post and the pics are excellent. Great job.

Rodney Charnholm

Reaction score
That is amazing I did not know you can get the drive line out the top. I have seen them drop the whole cradle before at the shops I used to call on. Of course they have the lifts. Great job.

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
Just got caught up on this thread. Do any of you know or have a list or link to every specific transmission failures in the 6F55 when it comes to HP/TQ exceeding max limits of transmission? My engine build shop inquired, I understand there isn't crap out there but GH TQ converter really, but they would like to see what they may be able to come up with.

bpd1151

Lurking Around
Reaction score
For the stock trans, in it's entirety as it rolled off the assembly line, I was told by engineers during the tour of the CAP back in 2015 for the National SHO Convention......

"Stay away from 720".

I said.... "720?"

"Well what does that mean, 720 what?".

They replied "720chp. That's the magical number."

Now mind you, they only smirked when I asked for specific failures (if they could divulge that is) then they smirked even more and reiterated.....

"720, that's all we'll say".

They moved on with a pleasant "Alrighty then, next question?"

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
For the stock trans, in it's entirety as it rolled off the assembly line, I was told by engineers during the tour of the CAP back in 2015 for the National SHO Convention......

"Stay away from 720".

I said.... "720?"

"Well what does that mean, 720 what?".

They replied "720chp. That's the magical number."

Now mind you, they only smirked when I asked for specific failures (if they could divulge that is) then they smirked even more and reiterated.....

"720, that's all we'll say".

They moved on with a pleasant "Alrighty then, next question?"

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Figured. Ford and there fear of having a car faster than the mustang.