Excited to be here.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twinkie2007

Reaction score
Howdy all, I'm Nathan, I'm a perspective buyer of a 13-19 SHO, just wanting to learn more about them, their potential, and service recommendations. I am looking forward to buying a SHO in the next few months, and becoming an active member of the community. Thanks for having me here!

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
You will likely need extra money for maintenance depending on vehicle condition/history. These are more complicated than a regular non turbo non awd vehicle. You need to be realistic on cost of ownership. Other than that, welcome aboard.

Twinkie2007

Reaction score
You will likely need extra money for maintenance depending on vehicle condition/history. These are more complicated than a regular non turbo non awd vehicle. You need to be realistic on cost of ownership. Other than that, welcome aboard.
I have heard that I'll need to immediately switch to full synthetic if it wasn't done by the previous owner, paired with more frequent oil changes, I think most guys I've read recommend around 10k miles, I've also heard that I should flush the coolant every 24 months, and specifically use fords yellow coolant mixed with distilled water, because the water pumps are issues. Past that I'm not really sure, just wanted the SHO to be my first real "performance" car, because of their potential.

Texas Marauder

SHO Member
Reaction score
IMHO, 5k max on the oil change.

The oil life monitor is set for max 10k. Highway driving is 100 miles = 1%. you'll likely be at 50% in 5k. Regardless, change oil at 50% or 5k.

Last edited:

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
You need to look into maintenance of the driveline. Specifically the PTU power transfer unit. It was listed as lifetime sealed gear box. Not the case and high failure rate. There is also a rear differential to maintain in addition to transmission fluid changes. 3 seperate units in the driveline. Research and be informed about the ptu before you pull the trigger.

Twinkie2007

Reaction score
You need to look into maintenance of the driveline. Specifically the PTU power transfer unit. It was listed as lifetime sealed gear box. Not the case and high failure rate. There is also a rear differential to maintain in addition to transmission fluid changes. 3 seperate units in the driveline. Research and be informed about the ptu before you pull the trigger.
Got it, I had not heard about any PTU issues in previous searches for issues. I had heard about changing the trans fluid and diff fluid with every oil change though, not sure if that's too frequent or not.

Texas Marauder

SHO Member
Reaction score
Again IMHO, drain and fill transmission @30k. On a new purchase, with unknown history, I'd drain and fill with the first 2 oil changes. Then every 30k.

Don't worry about the transmission filter. Changing the filter requires disassembly of the transmission.

Drain and fill rear axle, then every 60 to 90k.

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
Welcome.
Oil every 3-5 k depending how dark it is and how hard you drive it.
Ptu every 40k
Transmission drain and fill every 40k depending on how hard you drive it.
Rear diff every 50k.
All of this MO.

Twinkie2007

Reaction score
Welcome.
Oil every 3-5 k depending how dark it is and how hard you drive it.
Ptu every 40k
Transmission drain and fill every 40k depending on how hard you drive it.
Rear diff every 50k.
All of this MO.
probably won't drive it super hard for the first few years, only because I'm in college and can't really afford to break/modify it, but some simple maintenance shouldn't be too bad

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
What is your realistic financial profile for using this in college? I would recommend this vehicle with steady income as it is a compilation of more complex systems to fail. If you are primarily a student and need to get to and fro, get boring basic transportation.

When I was making $h!t money, my first SHO back in the 90's broke me financially. When you have short money-- like what you get, when you have better cash flow-- get what you like.
CY financial A. My $.02 with a lifetime of errors to draw from.

Twinkie2007

Reaction score
What is your realistic financial profile for using this in college? I would recommend this vehicle with steady income as it is a compilation of more complex systems to fail. If you are primarily a student and need to get to and fro, get boring basic transportation.

When I was making $h!t money, my first SHO back in the 90's broke me financially. When you have short money-- like what you get, when you have better cash flow-- get what you like.
CY financial A. My $.02 with a lifetime of errors to draw from.
I make just over $20/hour so money isn’t super tight, and my state has a free college program called A+, so I won’t be strapped for cash, just not trying to mod it a bunch straight out of the gate and wanted to know what to look for, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have even taken a second look at the SHO

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make just over $20/hour so money isn’t super tight, and my state has a free college program called A+, so I won’t be strapped for cash, just not trying to mod it a bunch straight out of the gate and wanted to know what to look for, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have even taken a second look at the SHO
Don't take @luigisho advice as a deterent, these cars are fun, but problematic when it comes to the cost of maintenance and all the work. If you are a diy person, great that will save ya some money. Many of us including me have a daily driver.

The best bang for the buck after an all around maintenance of ALL fluids, Tran, PTU, RDU, flush and fill radiator, flush and fill brake fluid, get a K&N drop in filter, 3bar MAP, replace plugs with colder range, get a tune from gearhead or a fan favorite here AJP.

That's it..... a tune will give your car performance and gas savings.

BTW the map sensor, requires a tune.

If you do it any other way you will come back to my advice in the end.

:)

A clean side only catch can might be a good investment, got one for $50, PM me if u wish. JLT CC

Twinkie2007

Reaction score
Don't take @luigisho advice as a deterent, these cars are fun, but problematic when it comes to the cost of maintenance and all the work. If you are a diy person, great that will save ya some money. Many of us including me have a daily driver.

The best bang for the buck after an all around maintenance of ALL fluids, Tran, PTU, RDU, flush and fill radiator, flush and fill brake fluid, get a K&N drop in filter, 3bar MAP, replace plugs with colder range, get a tune from gearhead or a fan favorite here AJP.

That's it..... a tune will give your car performance and gas savings.

BTW the map sensor, requires a tune.

If you do it any other way you will come back to my advice in the end.

:)
That was pretty much my plan for whenever I decide to start modifying it. I was really looking at the LMS performance kit but reading through this forum I realized that would be a mistake, so I’m switching gears and gonna pick the gearhead tune (not that I really need to look that far into it without actually owning a SHO) and the corsa catback and call it good. Maybe pick up some aftermarket bov’s because I like whoosh-y noises lmao

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was pretty much my plan for whenever I decide to start modifying it. I was really looking at the LMS performance kit but reading through this forum I realized that would be a mistake, so I’m switching gears and gonna pick the gearhead tune (not that I really need to look that far into it without actually owning a SHO) and the corsa catback and call it good. Maybe pick up some aftermarket bov’s because I like whoosh-y noises lmao
Please if my advice means anything...... don't do anything LMS. SEARCH THESE POSTS - My signature and others have parts you need. Stay away from their overpriced and bad tunes whatever you do. Plz.........

Twinkie2007

Reaction score
Please if my advice means anything...... don't do anything LMS. SEARCH THESE POSTS - My signature and others have parts you need. Stay away from their overpriced and bad tunes whatever you do. Plz.........
That is exactly why I said I realized it’d be a mistake. Plus I like that the gearhead tune is AO and have also read that it holds gears where the LMS won’t, which is another thing I like.

kryptto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the letters LMS and go into siezures.... sorry if I stopped reading after that HA! Yeah folks like AO - great idea.

Back