Driver door play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin

3.Slow
Reaction score
My front driver side door is having a bit of an issue. When I close it, it touches the rear driver side door. The passenger side doors when closed maintain about 1/8in separation. Do I need new door hardware?

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Gen 1 but from working on cars, I know during this era, it was common for different manufacturers to use a pin and bushings on the front hinge. Over time, those would wear out. Check and see if that is the issue. If so, they are usually in the Dorman/HELP! section at most auto parts stores. This will usually result in the top hitting and the bottom having a gap as well. If it is hitting the full length, it probably needs adjusted (loosen hinge bolts, slide a tiny bit, tighten and check fitment).

Devin

3.Slow
Reaction score
Ugh, this was entirely my fault.

The issue leading up to this was the plastic sleeve on the door strike broke off, and so the strike just flopped around. I printed out a replacement sleeve and after some trial and error got one that the latch would fit around. However that coincided with the issue with the front door contacting the rear door. Since the latch worked I ruled out my repair and focused on the wiggle the door had. I shouldn't have made that determination.

I checked the passenger front yesterday and it felt the same as the driver side. So I went back to look at the strike and to my chagrin the strike location was an obvious 1/4 in lower than original. It was obvious because the shadow where it used to be installed was visible. I lined it up properly and now the door closes and opens correctly!

The things I do to make my life harder...

Back