HELP!!! At wits end! Smoking issues!

NiteSHO

Reaction score
So I have a 2013 SHO PP. I love this car so much I sold it once and bought it back. But now my patience is wearing thin. My first tune was Unleashed. Car has UPR catch can, plugs, thermostat and 3 bar map, 3rd cat delete and straight piped with resonators. After I bought the car back it started smoking out the right bank at extended idle. So I started with the PCV update. Reduced smoke but still smoked. Started getting cat efficiency codes. So I figured it was the turbo. So at that point I had two factory ford turbos installed with all the associated lines plus I upgraded to a Gearhead tune with intercooler. After about a week car started smoking again at extended idle out the right bank. Had tech pull downpipes and both turbos were dry but the cat on that side was literally breaking apart from being soaked in oil. I assumed this was the problem so I replaced with PPE catted downpipes. Started smoking again at extended idle but no more cat efficiency codes. Fluid levels are all solid. Not losing any or discolored. Pulled plugs and they were a little black and sooty on outside edges but no traces of oil or wet. Smoke does not smell like coolant, oil or fuel. Has more of a metallic smell. Any help would be appreciated cause I love this car but the smoke is frustrating and embarrassing

Last edited:

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
What color is the smoke? Black is generally fuel, blue is generally oil, white is generally coolant. Coolant pressure test? O2 sensor readings? Coolant pressure test will help determine if it is coolant leaking into the exhaust. O2 sensor will help determine if it is running rich. Did you regap the plugs as suggested to 0.026-0.028? May not be getting a clean burn. After all that, I would start to consider oil issues.

6500rpm

Quality Always Shoots Straight
Reaction score
Classic signs of valve guide seals, not sure how common on the GTDI engines. Valve guide seals typically show a puff of smoke at start up, and or, say you're sitting at idle for a long time and go to take off it smokes momentarily. Older na engines you'd see ash accumulation on one side of a spark plug. On ours my best guess would be to bore scope the valves.

Honz24

Reaction score
Does it do this with no catch cans installed? My car did this when a catch can became plugged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theexo

Members online

No members online now.