Windshield wipers hitting door.

Deathacus

Reaction score
Hey there! I know I'm not the first to ask this but I've got a problem with the drivers side windshield wiper hitting the door frame on my '94. I've tried removing the arms and adjusting them per the book, but even at the lowest park position it still seems to hit. It always comes close at slow speed but it def hits at high speed. What do I need to do? What do I need to look for? Everything works as it should otherwise and trying to move things by hand has a bit of play but nothing that feels broken.

rubydist

SHO Master
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
I have had that in the past and the solution is to remove the arm and rotate it down one spline tooth when re-installing it.

Deathacus

Reaction score
Are you sure? The position I've been installing them in already puts them firm against the stops.

Deathacus

Reaction score
Okay, I tried moving it down a notch, seems to work but at park they are pretty snug against the stops. Shouldn't there be a 'little' play in those?

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Removing them and turning them down a notch doesn't solve the actual problem. The problem is caused by excessive travel due to worn bushings. What you need to do is remove the wiper transmission/linkage and replace the bushings.

-Chad

Deathacus

Reaction score
How much play/travel should they have?

Can the bushings even be replaced? Looks like everything is riveted together. And I can't seem to even find parts except or the piece that goes right in the motor shaft.

Last edited:

SHOrod

Torrie Tuned
Reaction score
In addition to considering worn bushings, are you sure the wiper is the correct length for the location? Maybe someone installed a wiper that was an inch longer than it's supposed to be....

-Rod

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
How much play/travel should they have?

Can the bushings even be replaced? Looks like everything is riveted together. And I can't seem to even find parts except or the piece that goes right in the motor shaft.
Dorman makes replacement bushings. You can find them in the Help section at the parts store.

-Chad

Deathacus

Reaction score
Good timing, I was just getting ready to go to my job...at the parts store. But how do I know what to look for? Our catalog doesn't list anything. I didn't wanna drill out the rivets till I knew I had everything.

K, I think I found one that'll work for the ball joint, but there I don't see anything for the shafts.

Unrelated but I thought of when pulling the plastic cowling, do we like, not have a cabin filter?

Last edited:

Deathacus

Reaction score
Huh? I'll keep that in mind next time I tailgate a diesel.

Searched all over the internet today and found a whole lotta nothing. Old forums saying 'replace bushings' and no mentions on how or where to find. I also think that mystery grease/rubber I found was supposed to be rubber at one time, around the ball socket. can't find that either.

RonPorter

SHO Club of America
Reaction score
Quite a common problem over the years. Always traced to the transmission linkage. I replaced a few, with used wiper transmission linkage assemblies. Today, used ones may be as bad as yours, so replacing the bushings as suggested is probably the best way to go. But, trying another used assembly may be worth it.

Deathacus

Reaction score
Yes but I still can't figure out how to replace them or where to even buy them.
And is there anything on the motor I should check while I'm at it?

RonPorter

SHO Club of America
Reaction score
Yes but I still can't figure out how to replace them or where to even buy them.
And is there anything on the motor I should check while I'm at it?
Purely used, chances of finding a leftover new linkage assembly is about zero. Buy used, swap it, and replace the bushings in your original one as Chad suggested above.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Go to the parts store and get some Dorman wiper bushings, part number 49447. They come in assortment packs. Multiple packs might be required depending on how many need replacement.

-Chad

Deathacus

Reaction score
K, that covers the ball joints again but what about the shafts coming up through the cowling? Or where it hooks to the motor?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erasethegrey

Members online