Tuning Handheld Shortages...

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw out a PSA, if you are on the fence about tuning, or wanting to upgrade your handheld, do it quickly.

SCT has announced to dealers that they are discontinuing all of their handhelds until they are able to secure an EO# from the EPA to be in full compliance with the Clean Air Act.

We currently have a very small number of BDX units in stock, along with some Livewire TS+ units have shipped to us in bulk to have on hand for future orders, but all of our suppliers are currently out of stock on BDX and Livewire TS+ units, and the X4 has been flagged for deletion but at this time we still have access to a few thousand units.

This may be different for tuner to tuner variances depending on what they choose to stock up on, but regardless of you wish to use for tuning, I'd highly recommend at a minimum to go ahead and pick up your handheld while you still can.

The HPTuners RTD+ has also become a commodity and very hard to get due to the wifi chip shortages. We used to get 20 a week, now we are LUCKY if we can get 10 a month. It's been 6 weeks since our last shipment, and our friends and Lethal Performance posted a bounty to all dealers in the country with excess that they would pay up to 10% over RETAIL just to get their hands on them to fulfill existing orders.

I don't want this to turn into a political post, but these importation and supply shortages are starting to hit industry hard. It's going to get much worse before it gets better.

If we can help at Ortiz Performance to secure any of these handhelds for you, or to supply you with our tuning support, please reach out to me or you can purchase through our website at http://www.ortizperformance.com/tuning/

Bluezone

Tailgaters will be prosecuted.
Reaction score
I just found this out myself. Went looking for an HP tuner here in Canada. Good luck to anyone needing one.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
With the X4 flagged for deletion, is there any chance of the device itself being bricked/locked by future updates? Should we disable firmware/software updates?

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score
With the X4 flagged for deletion, is there any chance of the device itself being bricked/locked by future updates? Should we disable firmware/software updates?

We still use X2s for tuning occasionally, so I don't foresee it. But given that these updates are due to EO certification, I'm unsure what's to come as far as compliance.

Jormungandr4898

Reaction score
Wonderful news just got my GH tune and x4 about two days ago. Really hope they don't brick the device with an update because of the EPA. Luckily I live in the last free states (Florida) so I don't think I have to worry about emissions/smog checks for a bit. Gonna be keeping my eye on this thread to see what to do.

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score
Wonderful news just got my GH tune and x4 about two days ago. Really hope they don't brick the device with an update because of the EPA. Luckily I live in the last free states (Florida) so I don't think I have to worry about emissions/smog checks for a bit. Gonna be keeping my eye on this thread to see what to do.

I don't foresee that happening, but you may hold off on any updates unless the system starts to require you to do it. At least until we get feedback from others that do it and have no issues or report issues back to the community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erasethegrey

Members online