Tune options!

Jarebear_Laflare

Reaction score
I was originally looking at getting a complete GH tune package online. But my friend recently told me I can just get DYNO tune. Can someone explain the pros/cons of the DYNO tune vs. GH

Jordan_R

Stock Block Ready To Knock...er..Rock
Reaction score
You're friend is stuck in the 90s. An email tuner with proper knowledge of this platform will be leagues ahead of any rando-dyno tuner unless you live next door to a proper ecoboost tuner.

Jarebear_Laflare

Reaction score
Lol that’s what I figured. He made it seem easier/cheaper then it should be. Thanks for the info man

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
You have to buy the programer either way and the rental on the dyno time versus just buying a tune out right it's going an even wash and I bet the tune out right will be way better. And you can send revisions to your tuner which is equal to a Dyno run and he can make adjustments as needed.

Jarebear_Laflare

Reaction score
I need to find a trustworthy SHOer in the ATL…all y’all live light years away it seems ;_;

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Dyno tune is a similar concept to an email tune with revisions. Both processes require a tuning device so the cost is equal. Then you need to tune the vehicle. A dyno tune is going to require that you bring your care to a facility, strap it to the Dyno and they make revisions as they go. Usually shops specialize in one platform (LSX, Honda, etc.) Just a quick look at a local shop, it is $100/hr for the Dyno and an additional $50/hr for them to tune it. You said you were looking at GearHead. His tune is $150. That means prices are still equal (if the local tuner can do it in 1 hour). First problem, the local tuner is going to be a jack of all, master of one or two. They may or may not specialize in SCT. They may or may not specialize in Ford. They probably are not going to specialize in Ford EcoBoost 3.5L transverse motors tuned with an SCT device. An email tuner has developed their skill on this platform and specializes in it. Second, Dyno tunes are generally aimed at all out power under WOT. A local tuner will also need to do drive time to tune the car for the street. A tuner like GearHead is going to tune based off of datalogs that will show driving and WOT. Third, you have the bug and you just dropped more money into the car and need a revision. Options are A) head back to the dyno and start all over with Dyno rental and Tuner fees, or B) message your email tuner, pay the $50 Revision fee and they send you a new tune. At the end of the day, the email tuner is going to result in a better product and lower price. You are going to be much happier with that route.

JamesV1

Reaction score
Gearhead or AJP are the only ones that can dependably tune in our platform. I’d stay away from Ortiz at all costs.
I'm not here to bash Ortiz just input.
Car definitely feels faster and responds well, personally I don't feel like I had enough time for back and forth to dial in the tune. Only complaint I do have was regarding the thermostat, I had higher temps with the one they sent me.

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
I'm not here to bash Ortiz just input.
Car definitely feels faster and responds well, personally I don't feel like I had enough time for back and forth to dial in the tune. Only complaint I do have was regarding the thermostat, I had higher temps with the one they sent me.
On an Ortiz tune? You’re coolant temps were higher than usual? Me too! I saw over 200 degrees and actually was concerned my fan stopped working….it wasn’t on. I flashed Brads tune back on my car and by then it was around 190 degrees and my fans came roaring on.

Makes no sense to me why Ortiz wouldn’t want to make the fan come on above 180

JamesV1

Reaction score
On an Ortiz tune? You’re coolant temps were higher than usual? Me too! I saw over 200 degrees and actually was concerned my fan stopped working….it wasn’t on. I flashed Brads tune back on my car and by then it was around 190 degrees and my fans came roaring on.

Makes no sense to me why Ortiz wouldn’t want to make the fan come on above
My fan is actually on almost constantly. I'm not overheating but it was just odd

VernP

Reaction score
I was originally looking at getting a complete GH tune package online. But my friend recently told me I can just get DYNO tune. Can someone explain the pros/cons of the DYNO tune vs. GH

Hey Jarebear, I also live in Atlanta and if you want to collaborate on the in's and out's of our SHO's that would be great. I had planned on going to the SHO convention last month but had too much going on. I had a dyno tune on my 16' SHO and now have 347HP at the wheels and 404lbs of torque. Fortunately, this forum steered me away from the Livernois tune I would have used at that time with not as good of results.

Jarebear_Laflare

Reaction score
Tuning is on pause for a little…just got a extended power train warranty thru ford just so I can sleep at night….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online

No members online now.