Transmission upgrade? Pure Drivetrain Solutions

Caden

Reaction score
Hello everyone hope Easter is well for all, I wanted to mention that I have sent my 6F55 to Pure Drivetrain Solutions’s to see what they can do in terms of upgrading the transmission for anyone looking for more hp and torque. I’ve talked to other sedan owners that have Pure built transmissions and even some 10r80 people, they all seemed very satisfied with their builds. So that’s when I decided to contact them to see if they can tackle this issue. I know Raybestos is coming out with clutch’s but it’s been a long waiting game and wanted to get a second option just in case they bail. I wanted to ask, anyone that might be interested in a transmission if you could take the time to email Pure Drivetrain Solutions or shoot them a message on Facebook showing them interest so that we can finally get something to the market. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
Nice Caden. So have they come back with any words of advice to you? What are some things they've said they could potentially improve upon? I'm sure they discussed some of this with you.

Caden

Reaction score
Nice Caden. So have they come back with any words of advice to you? What are some things they've said they could potentially improve upon? I'm sure they discussed some of this with you.
Not yet they where busy busting out ZF8 speeds and the transmission is being torn down now. I’m waiting for a reply on what they could do. Any recommendations on what needs to be upgraded inside the transmission will be great, as I myself never experienced issues. I wasn’t pushing it like others just minor bolt on’s. I did ask if they could develop something to hold 700hp/700trq so I’m waiting to see what they can do. Any help will be huge as I am still fairly new to this, and don’t have experience like others. Edit: I did mention clutch’s and steels.

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
Not yet they where busy busting out ZF8 speeds and the transmission is being torn down now. I’m waiting for a reply on what they could do. Any recommendations on what needs to be upgraded inside the transmission will be great, as I myself never experienced issues. I wasn’t pushing it like others just minor bolt on’s. I did ask if they could develop something to hold 700hp/700trq so I’m waiting to see what they can do. Any help will be huge as I am still fairly new to this, and don’t have experience like others. Edit: I did mention clutch’s and steels.
But what is it that they actually do? Do they manufacture parts in-house or do they simply take parts that are available on the market (whether OEM or commonly available aftermarket) and build/refresh the transmission?

I've been trying to wrap my brain around these transmission shops and what they ACTUALLY do. For example, I'd never send Level10 a dime of my money as they won't disclose what EXACTLY they did to the transmission to call it "Bulletproof" (what a joke). You best believe when you have an engine built by a shop, they provide a build sheet. This is what I'm looking for with the transmission as well.

I guess my real question is...what are their capabilities, in general? Have they taken a transmission from some platform in the past that doesn't have much aftermarket support and actually done something besides throw OEM parts at it?

What was it that they told you that made you decide to send them, and not some other transmission shop, your transmission? I guess I'm just curious what set them apart from any other performance transmission shop you may have been looking at, in your opinion?

But some points I'd love to see addressed with 6F55, IMO (others feel free to chime in):
- Improved friction plates
- Stronger baskets, potentially billet
- WPC treat gearsets and other important friction points
- Install LSD conversion kit of front differential located inside the transmission
- Machine the groove of the 3-5-R drum to hold a larger snap ring
- Install the Sonnax Zip Kit
- Improve the operation of the valve body for firmer shifting

Caden

Reaction score
But what is it that they actually do? Do they manufacture parts in-house or do they simply take parts that are available on the market (whether OEM or commonly available aftermarket) and build/refresh the transmission?

I've been trying to wrap my brain around these transmission shops and what they ACTUALLY do. For example, I'd never send Level10 a dime of my money as they won't disclose what EXACTLY they did to the transmission to call it "Bulletproof" (what a joke). You best believe when you have an engine built by a shop, they provide a build sheet. This is what I'm looking for with the transmission as well.

I guess my real question is...what are their capabilities, in general? Have they taken a transmission from some platform in the past that doesn't have much aftermarket support and actually done something besides throw OEM parts at it?

What was it that they told you that made you decide to send them, and not some other transmission shop, your transmission? I guess I'm just curious what set them apart from any other performance transmission shop you may have been looking at, in your opinion?

But some points I'd love to see addressed with 6F55, IMO (others feel free to chime in):
- Improved friction plates
- Stronger baskets, potentially billet
- WPC treat gearsets and other important friction points
- Install LSD conversion kit of front differential located inside the transmission
- Machine the groove of the 3-5-R drum to hold a larger snap ring
- Install the Sonnax Zip Kit
- Improve the operation of the valve body for firmer shifting
From what I have gathered, they make most of there parts in house for there transmissions. They are not like level ten… they will actually tell you what they have upgraded and what with, I’m the same way I called level ten and immediately was turned off.
From looking and talking them pure can make upgraded baskets, Pure does for the ZF8 speed so I don’t think it would be to big of an issue to make it for ours.
Clutch’s look like they are produced in house. They can upgrade seals and the valve body in house. Now that’s all on there other transmissions they sell so I’m hoping they can give ours around the same treatment.

I will take some of those points you mentioned on what we would like to see upgraded and bring it to them to see what they say. Might have a late reply here, extremely busy work week myself.

Sorry for crappy grammar and or spelling

Last edited:

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
From what I have gathered, they make most of there parts in house for there transmissions. They are not like level ten… they will actually tell you what they have upgraded and what with, I’m the same way I called level ten and immediately was turned off.
From looking and talking them pure can make upgraded baskets, Pure does for the ZF8 speed so I don’t think it would be to big of an issue to make it for ours.
Clutch’s look like they are produced in house. They can upgrade seals and the valve body in house. Now that’s all on there other transmissions they sell so I’m hoping they can give ours around the same treatment.

I will take some of those points you mentioned on what we would like to see upgraded and bring it to them to see what they say. Might have a late reply here, extremely busy work week myself.

Sorry for crappy grammar and or spelling
Now that is more like it! Good work and keep us posted.

DadMobile

Worlds 3rd least slowest Ecoboost SHO
Reaction score
This would be amazing if we could get a built transmission that can handle 600+hp .

DadMobile

Worlds 3rd least slowest Ecoboost SHO
Reaction score
I heard recently that someone has a built trans in an Explorer Sport from Level 10 Transmissions. If that’s the case they might be our answer. They build all the 900hp rated transmissions for the Explorer ST (different trans) and haven’t had issues with them.

Caden

Reaction score
I heard recently that someone has a built trans in an Explorer Sport from Level 10 Transmissions. If that’s the case they might be our answer. They build all the 900hp rated transmissions for the Explorer ST (different trans) and haven’t had issues with them.
Yea I have talked to him a lot he says matt can’t control the trans tune. And shifts laggy. And when I called 1 year ago and asked for a transmission to handle 700/700 level 10 said he couldn’t do it. Another reason I don’t like level ten is someone sent them a new MK5 Supra trans and 6 grand, “sti Mikey” got his trans back “built” and it didn’t even last 2 passes before it blew up. His new trans guy tore it down and saw the transmission was completely stock but he had taken his money.

Ecoboost_xsport

SHO Member
Reaction score
Yea I have talked to him a lot he says matt can’t control the trans tune. And shifts laggy. And when I called 1 year ago and asked for a transmission to handle 700/700 level 10 said he couldn’t do it. Another reason I don’t like level ten is someone sent them a new MK5 Supra trans and 6 grand, “sti Mikey” got his trans back “built” and it didn’t even last 2 passes before it blew up. His new trans guy tore it down and saw the transmission was completely stock but he had taken his money.
You're talking about that fraud BlackTalonSport.

Level10 is a clown show and I wouldn't give them a dime. They've been caught in a lie before.

They've done nothing to the 6F55 other than a factory refresh and charged almost $4k to do it, then call it "bulletproof"

Lmao...hard pass.

Caden

Reaction score
You're talking about that fraud BlackTalonSport.

Level10 is a clown show and I wouldn't give them a dime. They've been caught in a lie before.

They've done nothing to the 6F55 other than a factory refresh and charged almost $4k to do it, then call it "bulletproof"

Lmao...hard pass.
Exactly, the evidence is out there is just needs to be seen by more people.

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
As much as I keep wanting a true upgrade, it probably will never happen. There isn't enough demand from the 6F55 community. To make our cars go fast, you need to to make it RWD with the ability to transfer power to the front like it should have been from the factory.

Caden

Reaction score
As much as I keep wanting a true upgrade, it probably will never happen. There isn't enough demand from the 6F55 community. To make our cars go fast, you need to to make it RWD with the ability to transfer power to the front like it should have been from the factory.
It can happen. I asked for a update today from PDS to see how it’s going. PDS knows a few of us are trying to get big Hp numbers but are limited to the transmission. I have sent them a few links to write ups within the forum for they can read other peoples opinions on the transmissions to see what needs fixed, also have linked a few YouTube pages for they can follow along others builds and progress. Pure is not a huge company like ray. They can do smaller batch’s and not need 50+ preorders it seems like just to get a product to test. If anyone themself wants to message/email them go on ahead otherwise I might be spotty on replys I’m very busy this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike976