Transfer case broke…

M.J

Reaction score
Damn, that's scary. How many miles? Serviced at all? Were you driving when it happened? I always think about stuff like this whenever I'm doing pulls or high speed runs...

Joel Groff

Reaction score
73,000 miles. I bought the cat a year and a half ago and it originally had 56,000 when I bought it and I’m the second owner. It was due for service in early August. I was going about 25 miles and hour through a small town when I heard this clunking, then grinding, then saw smoke and was like yep it’s done. Luckily I was near work and got it off the road. I guess there was no fluid in the transfer case. I guess it either leaked out or it must have evaporated. I never had a puddle or a sensor to tell me it was low. I was told maybe the exhaust is near it and the heat from the dual exhaust caused it to evaporate…that one in not believing. What I think is the dealership I bought it from never serviced it and the one thing I didn’t do is check the level cause I’m not sure you can in these but I’d think the dealership I bought it from would but I can’t be sure.

Joel Groff

Reaction score
Seems all the fluid leaked out one night and bam, it overheated and was game over, no warning, or check engine light or nothing. 1700 dollars later and she’s back in service!!

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
These are 'lifetime' fluid sealed units with exceptions for PP and police. I think there is evidence that the high temps outside along with the high friction and temps inside cause the fluid to decompose and have the unit fail. You can look inside other failed units that did not break the case open like yours did and see the fluid cooked and gooey on the inside. Insulating/shielding the unit from the exhaust and cat isn't the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Joel Groff

Reaction score
These are 'lifetime' fluid sealed units with exceptions for PP and police. I think there is evidence that the high temps outside along with the high friction and temps inside cause the fluid to decompose and have the unit fail. You can look inside other failed units that did not break the case open like yours did and see the fluid cooked and gooey on the inside. Insulating/shielding the unit from the exhaust and cat isn't the dumbest thing I ever heard.
I heard that was a main cause the heat. Mine was bone dry and no fluid. I had a puddle in my driveway the next day after I took it in and they said it had to of leaked out cause I asked them if any was in it. Any recommendations on what to use to shield it??

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
There are some posts on here but I forget who posted what. You can post a new thread asking about shielding if you can't find it. I drive the old school SHOs so I only have to worry about 20-30 items failing vs a handful for the newer ones.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
I heard that was a main cause the heat. Mine was bone dry and no fluid. I had a puddle in my driveway the next day after I took it in and they said it had to of leaked out cause I asked them if any was in it. Any recommendations on what to use to shield it??
Personally, I have downpipes. I wrapped them in DEI Exhaust Header Wrap and then coated them with the DEI spray. I am hoping to tap the case for a drain and begin a drain and fill service routine. Aftermarket replacements like Dorman have a shield on them.

Joel Groff

Reaction score
When you say aftermarket replacements what are you referring to?? I’ll look into the exhaust header wraps and spray assuming it’s something easy…

Joel Groff

Reaction score
Thanks bro but I already got it fixed earlier this week. My shop got me in the day off and I ate the cost or I would be interested. Thanks for the offer though.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
When you say aftermarket replacements what are you referring to?? I’ll look into the exhaust header wraps and spray assuming it’s something easy…
Aftermarket replacement PTU. They do not sell the shield separately as far as Dorman is concerned. As far as the wrap and spray, it is easiest done with the pipes off of the car. You will be working with a 10'+ long strap/belt basically. You need to get a nice tight overlapping wrap. The spray is just like spray paint and coats the wrap after it is on. I doubt I would go through that much trouble on stock pipes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online