The Lounge/ rant-rave

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zblackbeast

SHOtarded
Reaction score
Clay is bored and he needs a project... Im think im going to build a motor.... Jason.. Where did you have your rotating assembly work over at?

yamahaSHO

E85 whore
Reaction score
Denver...

If you're that serious, the name is "Heads by Paul". I know they used to have a website, but I'm not sure anymore.

I am driving to Denver on Friday, so if you had parts ready, I could drop them off.

Last edited:

zblackbeast

SHOtarded
Reaction score
i dought ill be able to get the motor and get the rotating assembly out by then..
I forgot where i saw all the motor parts.. i looked on SHOsource and RCM and i cant find the pistons anywhere.. Also, jason, how much did if cost to have your work done.. you can PM me if you want.. this is my winter project this year. im hoping to get all the parts and start building it by February or march. Sam wanted to do way to much.. ie 13.5:1 compression, LOTS of head work. one off cams crank and rods etc.. i old him the rotating assembly was forged as is but his come back was "its production forged".... i was just thinking balanced rotating assembly, wiesco pistons, 3 angle valve job and cams.... any thoughts?

yamahaSHO

E85 whore
Reaction score
If you really want my thoughts? In short... without wanting to put down rediculous amounts of power or beating the **** out of it on road course conditions (which I will be aiming for soon/ both counts), it is a waste of money to go through that.

For the same amount of money, you could put a turbo on it, TwEECer, fuel injectors, FPR and some type of charge cooling and have WAY MORE power and can be made reliable.

As far as rebuilding the motor... A good stock rebuild would be fine. Resize the rods, micropolish and balance the crank and just have everything else cleaned up and put it back together with new bearings and seals.... Then add boost. If you want a 3.2L, just get some stock 3.2L rods and pistons and bore out your 3.0L. In fact, I may have a perfect candidate here for you if you're interested.

zblackbeast

SHOtarded
Reaction score
And what would that be? im not to sure if i want to boost it or not... im not looking for UNGODLY amounts of power, i just figure ill rebuild the motor and put the lighter pistons in it, add some cams for some more gitty up.. rebuild it just incase later i DO decide to boost it or run some giggle gas through it...

yamahaSHO

E85 whore
Reaction score
All I can say is for those purposes and what you want to put in it, it's just not worth it. I think you would be much happier with a good stock rebuild (most of which you can do yourself) and possibly a low boost setup. You'd be amazed at what 6 - 9PSI on a turbo can do for this motor.

NEp8ntballer

cyber ninja
Reaction score
And what would that be? im not to sure if i want to boost it or not... im not looking for UNGODLY amounts of power, i just figure ill rebuild the motor and put the lighter pistons in it, add some cams for some more gitty up.. rebuild it just incase later i DO decide to boost it or run some giggle gas through it...
I think it was SHONUT that had the pistons listed if you are looking for Weisco pistons.

I get paid tomorrow too:)

NebraskaSHO

Harumph!
Staff member
Club Mod
Reaction score
RMT Turbo has been in my plan ever since I rode in Scott's 91. That thing scooted. When the time is right, it will be done. Either V6 or V8. Or both? :naughty:

NebraskaSHO

Harumph!
Staff member
Club Mod
Reaction score
Who's?

Mine are fine in both.

99 has some slip but it's always done that. I wouldn't even consider boosting that car unless the transmission is rebuilt well.

Motor mount bolt fixed the 93. Woot to 7k shifts on the highway!

yamahaSHO

E85 whore
Reaction score
I think it was SHONUT that had the pistons listed if you are looking for Weisco pistons.

I get paid tomorrow too:)

SHONUT does carry (orders) Wiseco pistons for the SHO. I purchased mine there with a compression ratio of 9.5:1. I think they ran me $800. On top of that, you'll have to have the block bored and everything balanced, so add that on top of the cost. And cams... Unless you're trying for some serious dyno numbers or plan on running that thing at 8k RPM for extended lengths of time (or just trying for a bigger E-*****), they are a complete waste of money.

I guess what you have to look at is what you're realistically going to do with the car and go from there. If you *may* boost it down the line, chances are you won't get to it. If you want to start with mild boost on an already stout motor (with a good refresh), I personally think your money would be better spent an you'll have a better return.

Don't listen to me if you don't want to... I've only modified my NA 3.0L to have 260bhp on a horrible tune (during the dyno), boosted a stock 3.0L at 10 PSI and tracked the crap out of it (rod bearing failure was my own fault), and have rebuilt a pretty sweet motor with just about anything you could really want. I have an idea what works and what is really worth doing (or where you'll get your return).

RMT Turbo has been in my plan ever since I rode in Scott's 91. That thing scooted. When the time is right, it will be done. Either V6 or V8. Or both? :naughty:

As Paul stated, Scott's car moves out pretty well. We've gone through trial and error on that car and I'm sure Scott learned a lot from my mistakes on my car as well as I was learning from Pat's mistakes/misfortunes.

Paul, Scott's car is considerably faster now.

NebraskaSHO

Harumph!
Staff member
Club Mod
Reaction score
Why don't you just put a bolt though them so they can be swung out of the way. Or a pin or two so they can be twisted and locked in place, twisted out for shooting practice.

NebraskaSHO

Harumph!
Staff member
Club Mod
Reaction score
Jason, good to hear about his car being faster.

I just remember the blur on the interstate between exits in N. Platte.

NEp8ntballer

cyber ninja
Reaction score
Why don't you just put a bolt though them so they can be swung out of the way. Or a pin or two so they can be twisted and locked in place, twisted out for shooting practice.
the problem isn't that they swing when they shouldn't. the problem is that there is a ton of stress put on the legs (when they were all there) when transporting the target to and from the range in the back of the truck. to keep the targets from swinging I put it face up or face down and that put a lot of stress on those welds causing their failure along with poor *********** and placement. I prefer to have it face down that way if it does slide around a little it isn't gonna have a very good chance of putting a hole in the bed liner with the feet. I probably should have made it a little more robust by using some angle iron to make a small triangle in the front and then put a larger triangle in the back

something like this only with more slope:

--- | |\
--- | | \
---/| | \
- / | | - \
/__| |____\ ignore the dashes. it wouldn't post right otherwise

Last edited:

jthod

Mr. Goodwrench
Reaction score
Unless you're trying for some serious dyno numbers or plan on running that thing at 8k RPM for extended lengths of time (or just trying for a bigger E-*****), they are a complete waste of money.

sig quote material right there!

Chris- a handfull of zipties, a roll of ducttape and 2 2X4"s

Clay-Boost it and shut up

Nebraska needs more FI

NEp8ntballer

cyber ninja
Reaction score
sig quote material right there!

Chris- a handfull of zipties, a roll of ducttape and 2 2X4"s

Clay-Boost it and shut up

Nebraska needs more FI
I'm not a fan of the country rigging of things... We sometimes end up sharing the range with other people and the last thing I want other people to see is me zip tying my target to some 2x4s and then duct taping it for good measure. I need to track down some new target holders seeing as how people are putting them in their front yards this time of year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPhisto

Members online