Taking engine out

Motoman991

Reaction score
Has anyone here taken the engine out of their sho without using a car lift? Is there enough room to get the engine out using floor jacks or a ramps? I really need to get my sho fixed.

Mr Anonymous

Tire Wall
Reaction score
I have done it a number of times with a forklift when our regular lift has been tied up. With a pair of 12 ton jack stands right about under the B pillars, there's just enough room to drop it on a pallet and slide it out from underneath.

A few people (Eric L., Carter F. for starters) have done it with far less.

naval-avi8or

Reaction score
Motoman991 said:
Do you know how they did it with far less?

I have done it with a engine hoist, two jack stands and a floor jack.

engine hoist used to raise car.
floor jacks for peice of mind
floor jack to roll engine/tranny/subframe out.

SHOWHAT9

Reaction score
naval-avi8or said:
I have done it with a engine hoist, two jack stands and a floor jack.

engine hoist used to raise car.
floor jacks for peice of mind
floor jack to roll engine/tranny/subframe out.
+1 albeit the jackstands were a little beefer than what you get at Habor Freght. Have done it twice in the last three years this way. But the engine is coming out the bottom. Engine crane is a must

Last edited:

naval-avi8or

Reaction score
SHOWHAT9 said:
+1 albeit the jackstands were a little beefer than what you get at Habor Freght. Have done it twice in the last three years this way. But the engine is coming out the bottom. Engine crane is a must

Jack stands I used where Goodyear 6 ton, Floor jack was 3 1/2 ton Good year and Engine hoist/crain was 2 ton Good year all purchased from Sam's Club.

Raised car with engine hoist at front bumper. Jack stands for a warm and fuzzie. Used floor jack and support lumber raised up to oil pan. Removed subframe bolts (after disconnecting everything else)raised car with engine hoist until motor would clear. Supported with jack stands and rolled engine out. removed jack stands and lowered car to a normal level until ready for install.

Keep in mind to transplant my engine I had to do this 3 times.
1 times to remove from donor car.
1 time to remove 3.2 out of my car.
1 time to install 3.4 in my car.

Motoman991

Reaction score
I have a 3 ton engine hoist, plently of jack stands and two 3.5 ton floor jacks.

Where do you lift the car using the engine hoist?

SHOWHAT9

Reaction score
Motoman991 said:
I have a 3 ton engine hoist, plently of jack stands and two 3.5 ton floor jacks.

Where do you lift the car using the engine hoist?
Once you have the nose off, use good solid chain and cut a hole at each end of the bumper support if you can't find any other that will balance, run the chain through it, attach to crane and pull her up. insert tall jackstands where you want em and let er down.

93rev2sev

SHO Member
Reaction score
I would highly suggest using chains attached to the inside of the engine compartment. I think there are holes there for this very purpose. They might be behind the battery and airbox.

Remember, the unibody was shipped by rail to the factory. There ARE definately holes in the unibody that chains attach to for securing the body to the train. And, I think there are holes on the inside of the engine compartment that chains attach to for lifting the unibody off of the train and on to the conveyor belt for assembly. I'll bet that there are holes on the inside too...for lifting the unibody off of the train.
Here is a picture of the hook that is used with this hole.
M-TH1.jpg

Here is a picture of the hole. Its the oval hole that the edited tire iron is going through - look around the inside of the engine compartment for these holes.
FrontpassSFbolt

naval-avi8or

Reaction score
SHOZ123 said:
I want pics......

When I did it I just rapped th chain around the bumper. As long as you get close to the center it will be stable enough. With the subframe etc. unbolted you are only lifting the body weight which is not that mutch.

E1

Crash Tested
Reaction score
I'm sending a few pix to Paul. How/If they get up here is up to Paul. I don't know how to post pix here.

First, I get the subframe assembly free from the car and lower the whole thing on top of a sheet of plywood or a roller dolly. I have a lifting plate that I bolt directly to the heads with the lower IRM removed. I take the weight of the subframe assy with the engine crane and then pull the subframe bolts. At this point I set the engine/subframe down to the ground. Then I lift the car up higher than the engine is high off the ground.

Here's my way -

I take off the front bumper cover. On the ends of the bumper there are some oval holes. I put a lift chain through these holes on either end and put a bolt and nut through the chain link so the chain can't pull back through the bumper. I hook the chains to my hoist and go up, up, up.
I have custom made jackstands that can go up to 4 feet high. I place them on the frames just behind the rear subframe bushings. I set the car on the stands and drag out the entire subframe assembly.

YAHTEC

Reaction score
Very interesting... Did you make a video of you starting the car than dancing when it ran? haha

I pulled one from the top of a wrecked 99, I unbolted the main support for the front bumper, radiator and core support for the headlights and took it out that way with no clearance problems.

Last edited:

E1

Crash Tested
Reaction score
YAHTEC said:
Very interesting... Did you make a video of you starting the car than dancing when it ran? haha.

Yeah.

Uncle Lar did that. Kind of a Moonwalk. Was funny, we all had a good laugh, and one less V8 is dead for Ford's lawyers.:thumb:

ArkanSHO

SHO Member
Reaction score
Mr Anonymous said:
A few people (Eric L., Carter F. for starters) have done it with far less.

Somewhere I have pictures of mine balanced in R/R ties and concrete blocks. Was in my Photobucket account that got hijacked and an old PC running 95. Damn, I gotta find those now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbin

Members online