Strange Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lwestcomb

Reaction score
I got 2013 ecoboost Police Interceptor. Not really sure anything is wrong here but my acceleration is very inconsistent, almost rubber bandish. I just can’t always get a solid pull without it sort of pulsing.

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me start this party - first list year - u did - miles - any lights - service history - was anything performed recently? Any other symptoms - smoking at idle? Do you have an error (DTC) reader - Forscan or other? Sometimes these cars log issues without lights, also for diagnostics talks.

Is the car tuned - or stock? In general - modifications too, removed downpipes and have straight pipes no cats etc.

BradM

SHO Member
Reaction score
Interceptors have Pursuit Mode. Google it to see if this is what you're experiencing.

lwestcomb

Reaction score
Let me start this party - first list year - u did - miles - any lights - service history - was anything performed recently? Any other symptoms - smoking at idle? Do you have an error (DTC) reader - Forscan or other? Sometimes these cars log issues without lights, also for diagnostics talks.

Is the car tuned - or stock? In general - modifications too, removed downpipes and have straight pipes no cats etc.
It’s a 2013, 149k miles now, i put in regular castrol gtx every 3500 miles because i heard nonsynthetic was better. If i gave you all the service history we would be here all day but i believe its had a transmission replacement during its law enforcement time. I recently changed the timing chain components and water pump but this was happening before. it does have some smoking at idle that i’m slightly worried about but it usually goes away. i haven’t gotten any chance to get it scanned cause Im a broke college student.

SHOdded

SHO Member
Reaction score
you can get a cheap bluetooth adapter like a veepeak and pair it with torque pro to monitor how the vehicle's powertrain is performing. not the fastest adapter around (mx+ gives you 30ms intervals, tuning devices 10ms or less) but you can monitor live data.

you can also check for codes on your own. or have an auto parts store do it for you, at least they used to before the pandemic. autozone, oreillys, etc.

GTRPhilly

Reaction score
I just test drove a 2015 PP and I noticed something odd as well. When I got on it , it took off decently then almost out of nowhere it starting pulling like crazy. It wasn’t a boost spike or something, maybe it was. Idk honestly. I like it however and need to figure how to keep it like that lol. I bought this car btw, I will have it by Tuesday. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradM

SHO Member
Reaction score
I just test drove a 2015 PP and I noticed something odd as well. When I got on it , it took off decently then almost out of nowhere it starting pulling like crazy. It wasn’t a boost spike or something, maybe it was. Idk honestly. I like it however and need to figure how to keep it like that lol. I bought this car btw, I will have it by Tuesday. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pursuit Mode.

6500rpm

Quality Always Shoots Straight
Reaction score
lwestcomb, I know I've seen this listed before on the forum. I've experienced this more than a few times on hard acceleration on my 13 PP where it feels like it's pulling hard and starts surging up and down. There's certain locations/loads that seem to set it off. I'm Gearhead tuned fwiw and haven't contacted them. Recently I replaced the Water pump, timing chains, and everything that goes with it and the car feels stronger, I'll give it a pull in the areas that seem to usually set it off. Never had a cel. While replacing things I did notice a bit of oil around a rear hotpipe coupler that I took care of but I doubt that was it. Hopefully someone chimes in. I haven't checked the diaphragm on the EBV's, I thought that was a potential source fwiw.
Edit-since the water pump, chain, and associated parts replacement, it's stopped doing it, no idea what fixed it as a lot of parts were touched in the process.

Last edited:
Back