So what did you do to your SHO today!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportfan

Reaction score
I bought two new tires for my '91 that I posted for sale on here. An interested member had talked about flying in to buy it and drive it back to his home so, I had never looked at how old the tires were before because they had good thread on them. I checked and two of them were 10 years old. I had a 12-year-old tire on my Discovery blow out on me once. We hardly drove the truck and the tires looked like new but, age got them all replaced.

ThatSlowSHO

Reaction score
took a total of six hours of work here and there as i could this last week, and i custom fab’ed and installed an RTR-inspired grille. bit of a father’s day gift to myself. it’s running off the fuse box and syncs up to the 4-ways. (white running w amber blinkers) this is the first one ive ever seen, but i’m sure somebody somewhere has thought of this before me. not a big cosmetic guy, but the powertrain is still warrantied. we’ll see how well it holds up. i’m pretty proud of this.

Attachments

• IMG_4948.jpeg
    IMG_4948.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4952.png
    IMG_4952.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
3500k of driving mostly approaching triple digits and the SHO did it flawlessly, didn't use any oil which was odd nothing in the catch can either, my at home alignment seems to be spot on, and I even got a few compliments on the car, one from a guy who just took delivery on a brand new BMW I want to say 4 series 12 hours before I caught him gawking at my car in the parking lot lol. Only saw 2 other SHOs the whole ride but the trip was a success, saw some family and some friends, had some good photo ops too

20240615 143443
Buddy's bronco
20240615 112032
My wife took this one after taking away my phone for being bad a pictures, so much for the mistress I think she secretly loves it.20240615 111955
My attempt

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3500k of driving mostly approaching triple digits and the SHO did it flawlessly, didn't use any oil which was odd nothing in the catch can either, my at home alignment seems to be spot on, and I even got a few compliments on the car, one from a guy who just took delivery on a brand new BMW I want to say 4 series 12 hours before I caught him gawking at my car in the parking lot lol. Only saw 2 other SHOs the whole ride but the trip was a success, saw some family and some friends, had some good photo ops too

View attachment 90942
Buddy's bronco
View attachment 90943
My wife took this one after taking away my phone for being bad a pictures, so much for the mistress I think she secretly loves it.View attachment 90946
My attempt
glad she drove fine, enjoy the ride. my wife takes better pics too

Boochy47

SHO Member
Reaction score
Timing chain went and Machanic want to replace engine 70000 mile used engine but what about all my mod parts this is **** idk what to do he said turbo might be bad and I’m pretty certain there gh turbos

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing chain went and Machanic want to replace engine 70000 mile used engine but what about all my mod parts this is **** idk what to do he said turbo might be bad and I’m pretty certain there gh turbos
Doing a reman engine is the easy way for him. Unfortunately I would find a shop that will do the work it needs.

Reaction score
I agree with @kryptto sounds like he's looking for a quick pay day possibly. To R/R an engine is far easier than tearing it down and fixing it. If the chain went and there is internal damage then yes a low mile or reman motor is the way to go from a labor stand point, if metal went into the oil that could be why he's saying turbos are shot. What mods are done to the engine itself that you stand to lose with a replacement engine?

If it's just the turbos and they're GH I'd have the mechanic give them to you and bring them somewhere else for an independent opinion (or send them to GH if they do that). If the engine is otherwise stock I'd have him put an oil pump, water pump, and all new timing components (phasers, guides, tensioners) on the new engine and have your GHs rebuilt if necessary. Any other mods that aren't internal shouldnt be effected by a timing chain failure and as long as the mechanic is honest and you tell him to bolt on everything from your old motor that he can it shouldnt effect your anything, Unfortunately there's no cheap way out of a timing chain failure

Boochy47

SHO Member
Reaction score
For mods I basically have all of em inter cooler down pipes map sensors spark plugs Ao tune hpfp thermostat

Reaction score
He said the the timing chain job would be like 3000
All of your mods are external so you shouldn't lose anything, maybe a good cleaning while everything's out. 3000 is about right for the chain from what ive seen here, Did the chain completely fail or is the car drivable? If it didn't fail and it's just due for a chain replacement I'd drive it to another reputable shop for another quote for the chain job with oil and water pump replacements. If the engine isn't damaged then there is not a need to replace the entire thing. And if that's the case it sounds like the mechanic wanted a quick buck with some new turbos on the bill as icing.

Boochy47

SHO Member
Reaction score
Sucks cause he friend of family so I honestly hope he’s not bending me over a barrel and showing me the fifty states

Reaction score
Sucks cause he friend of family so I honestly hope he’s not bending me over a barrel and showing me the fifty states
The price for chains sounds honest, and the idea of just replacing the whole engine is probably cheaper and possibly faster but they all need chains and the water pump is a must even if you pass on the oil pump. If he is unfamiliar with these cars he could see a leaking turbo as bad instead of a leaking turbo. Sounds like they are more about replacing parts than repairing things and that might just be their comfort level or them trying to find a cheaper way for you. I would insist on keeping your engine and replacing the necessary parts as long as you don't have internal damage.

If he is a mechanic worth his salt and the timing chain has not caused internal damage, ask for a quote for all timing components, oil and water pump, and get a quote from gh to rebuild your turbos if they're that much a cause of concern.

Boochy47

SHO Member
Reaction score
Just talked too him hes gonna just do the chains tensioners etc and water pump but he says he can’t guarantee noise will be gone

Back