So what did you do to your SHO today!?

Ish416

Reaction score
The most nerve racking part about mine HPFP install was the the re-install of the hard fuel into the pump as well. Pretty nerve racking how hard I had to crank down the nut before it finally started to not leak. Lol.

Everything will be worth the troubles lol.
My little fire extinguisher has been moved from the house to my car. The first time I just turned the car to on and fuel pump kicked in there was fuel spraying everywhere. I thought all of the connections were tight. I was wrong. I started cranking them down and just kept cranking until I was certain things were tight and then went 90 degree farther.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
I took advantage of the weather being in the 70's vs mid 90's and installed an XDI Evo HPFP and Fuel-it Bluetooth sensor. This took me WAY, WAY longer than it should have.
I watched Pete717's excellent XDI install video (not counting the speeling errors - :thumb:) and thought, looks easy enough..... I was wrong. I was so very wrong. This thing was a complete PIA.

My first issue arose after pulling out the stock HPFP. I was following Pete's video and noticed that I was missing a fuel hose. I was like WTF. So I looked up the official XDI video (
) and there again was that damn fuel line that I did not have.

So, I paused where I was at and came in and started researching if I was supposed to have a fuel line and what is the use of these two adapters, a small 45 degree AN fitting and AN-to-quick connect fuel line. I was convinced that I had received a defective product after waiting 2 months for it to come in. Needless to say, by this point, I was past the beer stage of working on things and poured a nice glass of Makers and while I went down the XDI SHO rut (because hardly any info on install). I looked for pictures or descriptions of what all is supposed to be included with the XDI Evo HPFP and found practically nothing that showed these two adapters I had and only had the missing fuel line.

Fuel line I thought I was missing but was able to reuse -
View attachment 84303

Everything that came with my XDI Evo minus a few stickers -
View attachment 84304

Then it happened. I came across another video that XDI had for 2015+ SHO's (
). I watched this video and my immediate thought was those adapters are the same ones I have. Maybe I can make this fit on a 2014 SHO. Sure enough, everything he did I was able to also do. Although, removing the fuel line from the stock HPFP (the part not shown in the video @ 3:47) was awful and took me about an hour. The main reason was I could not figure out how to get it off the stock HPFP and did not want to break it, eventually it just came off. Once I got that line off the stock HPFP I then reinstalled it and focused on getting the metal fuel line to line up with the XDI Evo HPFP, this part probably took me about an hour and a half. There were multiple times I thought everything had lined up correctly and started finger tightening only to get half a turn before it would get hung up and seem to start cross threading. I had to bend the metal fuel line down and towards the front of the car before having any luck. I ended up taking the stupid thing apart to rotate it probably 6 or 7 times before I finally got it close and then was able to finally finagle the thing to where I could finger tighten the connection. Thankfully, the Fuel-it Bluetooth sensor only took about 10 minutes to install.

To install the Fuel-it Bluetooth sensor, I connected one end of my GM ethanol sensor into the stock quick connect fuel line. I then had purchased a line specially for this from Ortiz and was able to connect it to the other side of the fuel line and GM ethanol sensor. After that, I connected the power and ground for the ethanol sensor and Fuel-it adapter. I got into the fuse box and used a fuse tap for the power and tapped into one of the fuses, not sure which one, I didn't care at this point, I just wanted it to work. While in the fuse box, I noticed that there are so many connections in the fuse box that do nothing, it could be half of it's size or less. Anyways, I used that for power and for ground I simply connected it to one of the chassis grounds near the battery. As mentioned, from start to finish, I likely had 10 minutes in installing the ethanol sensor and wiring up the power and ground. This part was super easy.

Anyways, just to get it out there, it is possible to install the XDI Evo on a 2014 SHO without their fuel line and I am wondering if they have updated things to only have this setup going forward.

Another note - I am still running the GH AO for this pump and have noticed no difference at all in performance or drivability. I will be running out my tank on this setup before switching over to the E30 tune.
Ran into the same issue today. I bought one used as my tuner said my stock one was weak and no more WOT. I didn't want to wait 6-8 weeks. Bad new is my pump looks like the old videos and has the new adapters. Instead of the inlet pointing up and having a 90 adapter, mine comes out towards the front of the car and has a straight thread. No fuel line though. I cannot figure out how to make it work. Even worse, in the videos, they use a pump for the ~2011 (aluminum valve cover) and install it on a newer (plastic) valve cover car. Then at the end they show a few quick pictures with the new fittings. Talking to XDI and the seller now to try and figure it out. Seller is going to try making a custom line that matches his (he went to an EVO pump). XDI was closed by the time I got pictures to them. Hopefully it will be on this week.

Ish416

Reaction score
Ran into the same issue today. I bought one used as my tuner said my stock one was weak and no more WOT. I didn't want to wait 6-8 weeks. Bad new is my pump looks like the old videos and has the new adapters. Instead of the inlet pointing up and having a 90 adapter, mine comes out towards the front of the car and has a straight thread. No fuel line though. I cannot figure out how to make it work. Even worse, in the videos, they use a pump for the ~2011 (aluminum valve cover) and install it on a newer (plastic) valve cover car. Then at the end they show a few quick pictures with the new fittings. Talking to XDI and the seller now to try and figure it out. Seller is going to try making a custom line that matches his (he went to an EVO pump). XDI was closed by the time I got pictures to them. Hopefully it will be on this week.
This is how mine ended up.

Attachments

• PXL_20220621_113452851.jpg
    PXL_20220621_113452851.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220621_113457569.jpg
    PXL_20220621_113457569.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220621_113504168.jpg
    PXL_20220621_113504168.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 24

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
My little fire extinguisher has been moved from the house to my car. The first time I just turned the car to on and fuel pump kicked in there was fuel spraying everywhere. I thought all of the connections were tight. I was wrong. I started cranking them down and just kept cranking until I was certain things were tight and then went 90 degree farther.
Pretty much what I did. All is well on my SHO for past two years. I have been really happy with the car. Smart about the fire extinguisher, I bought one specifically for the Lexus.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
This is how mine ended up.
Yea, you have A) the older aluminum valve covers and B) the 90 fitting that comes straight out the top. After much discussion with XDI, the pump is one of the older designs and needs the custom fuel line they mention in their video. It is $150 from XDI. the seller is sending me a fuel line and we will see how that works out.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting on my rear mount today. Figured since I’m going to be under there, might as well do a drain and fill. Fluid looked a little dirty, but I’m not an expert so I wanted the opinion of more informed people. Supposedly ford flushed the trans after I bought it when I took it in to have all the fluids changed, which was in late December.

Like I said I’m not an expert, but I feel like it’s too dirty for 6 months (~8k miles) after a flush/complete fluid change. I scheduled an oil change at the same dealership for next week (I do this every other oil change so I have records in case I need a warranty claim to cover my ass). Is it normal, or do I need to mother **** ford for charging me for something they didn’t do? TIA

06419239 9F81 4CEB ADAB 7677641AA036

Last edited:

Bluezone

Tailgaters will be prosecuted.
Reaction score
Putting on my rear mount today. Figured since I’m going to be under there, might as well do a drain and fill. Fluid looked a little dirty, but I’m not an expert so I wanted the opinion of more informed people. Supposedly ford flushed the trans after I bought it when I took it in to have all the fluids changed, which was in late December.

Like I said I’m not an expert, but I feel like it’s too dirty for 6 months (~8k miles) after a flush/complete fluid change. I scheduled an oil change at the same dealership for next week (I do this every other oil change so I have records in case I need a warranty claim to cover my ass). Is it normal, or do I need to mother **** ford for charging me for something they didn’t do? TIA

View attachment 84326
Have you seen a doctor about this?
Seriously though it's hard to tell from the picture.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen a doctor about this?
Seriously though it's hard to tell from the picture.
Lol is this form not also telemed for cars?

It could easily be a mountains out of mole hills situation, as this is the first car I’ve owned that I actually care about beyond just point A-B. It was just much cloudier/brownish than I expected to see after 8k miles on presumably brand new fluid, given how long ford recommends Between changing the trans fluid. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m learning as I go.

Last edited:

stripSHO

Idiot Savant
Reaction score
The newer transmission fluids darken quickly. The guys at the oil change place tried telling my wife the fluid in her Flex was dark and needed replacement. The car only had 5000 miles on it...

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
if you have a picture in the pan would help. It's hard to get a good look at a **** stream.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have a picture in the pan would help. It's hard to get a good look at a **** stream.
Ok, I’ll throw one up tomorrow. My pans are the enclosed ones with the caps, for transpo to the disposal place. I’ll pour some out in a separate container and upload. Either way, amsoil is in, so a few more drain and fills and all will be well.

In other news, damn I’m glad I got that mount. Much, much better. NVH is barely there, and perfectly tolerable. Launches better, rides better, shifts better, and even sounds a bit cooler. I know it’s been said a thousand times, but that’s a must have mod.

Last edited:

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
My question would be when was the fluid flushed before you originally did it and what is the mileage. If you buy an unmaintained car and begin maintaining it, good fluids are going to clean up some deposits and going to initially require more frequent changes. I am hoping your next picture shows a little bit different though. I agree, this is an odd color if it was filled with the proper fluid.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question would be when was the fluid flushed before you originally did it and what is the mileage. If you buy an unmaintained car and begin maintaining it, good fluids are going to clean up some deposits and going to initially require more frequent changes. I am hoping your next picture shows a little bit different though. I agree, this is an odd color if it was filled with the proper fluid.
That’s a very good question. I have no way of knowing what sort of care, or lack there of, the previous owner took. I tried looking at the car fax(I know, not the most accurate) and all that shows up is what I’ve done since buying it. Side note: it also says they did a “transfer case flush and fluid change”. They told me ford didn’t recommend changing the PTU fluid because it can be a whole can of worms. I’m gonna go I. There and have them print out the record and the service manager and I are gonna go through it line by line. Even if I’m overreacting about the trans fluid and it’s actually what I should see due to deposits, I know they didn’t do my PTU, so something’s fishy.

I tried to snap a couple this morning before I left for work. I’m no photographer so they’re probably also inconclusive. The one In the garage I’m shining my flashlight on and it looks kind of like watered down chocolate milk. I took it outside and couldn’t get good light, but it looked more like really dark red wine. (More reddish than brownish I guess.)

I’m wondering if maybe my flashlight (LED) was altering the appearance of the color. I also considered I may be thinking incorrectly about what a “trans flush” means. I don’t know if that means they’re able to get what’s in the TC or not. Maybe they just drain and run something through fill/drain area, and can’t really get to all of it without taking the trans out. So maybe it is just deposits and such from lack of previous maintenance.

I’m just gonna drain and fill every week for another 5 weeks. After that, every 3k miles with the oil change.

Attachments

• 07B7BB26-A695-40EE-AB3C-55E3829BD27D.jpeg
    07B7BB26-A695-40EE-AB3C-55E3829BD27D.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 0C174FF0-9206-4CA1-B111-87FC67DB0CCA.jpeg
    0C174FF0-9206-4CA1-B111-87FC67DB0CCA.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

jman1200

SHO Member
Reaction score
Took me a few minutes to understand the first pic... thought many things... many...

That fluid looks like its contaminated with water. If that was the case, how did it happen.
I wouldn't wait to replace the PTU and rear diff fluids. If those also look milky, I'd suspect that car went swimming at some point.

RickyRecon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took me a few minutes to understand the first pic... thought many things... many...

That fluid looks like its contaminated with water. If that was the case, how did it happen.
I wouldn't wait to replace the PTU and rear diff fluids. If those also look milky, I'd suspect that car went swimming at some point.
Supposedly they changed the RDU the first time around. Now I’m suspect and they’re going to pull fluid from everything and show it to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philbanks

Members online