So what did you do to your SHO today!?

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
When mine went in my 13 Taurus i didn't notice any fluctuating Temps. But was caught with loss of coolant happening only after I parked. My 2013 Ford f-150, it's pump failure was total loss of coolant and high temps immediately. Them blaming mods is b u l l s h I t. Thermostat opens on its own and is strictly mechanical. Fans only thing that can be tuned. My opinion is either system isn't burped or they've installed wrong thermostat. I use Reische thermostat in my SHO, no issues. And as a suggestion it wouldn't be idea to install a Reische in your car . Another problem is your impeller in the pump might be running intermittent from a defect or wear even though it's ran by the timing chain and going by an guess there is no coolant coming out of the wheep hole on pump yet. And if you have heat in your cab, your heater core shouldn't be the problem. I think your thermostat is the issue just because you mentioned fluctuating Temps, sounds like it keeps opening and closing when it shouldn't be.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Well to see if you have any pressure leaks, you need to pressure test system. The easiest way I can think to do that, is to pressurize the system via the hose to the degas bottle.
Pull the hose off and plug it with a bolt with a clamp on it. Next take a piece of hose and hook it up to the bottle and pressurize the system to 12 or 13 PSI , through that. Whatever pressure doesn't cause the pressure relief to kick in .
You will need a regulated air source in order to not over pressurize the system. Make a note of where the coolant is sitting in the bottle and leave the pressure on for 15 minutes to a half an hour. If the coolant level drops you've got a leak somewhere.
The only thing I could think of is to listen for any whining noise from the water pump which will be hard to detect with it mounted behind the front cover. Anyone care to chime in on other ways tell whether or not the water pump is good or bad.
Go to your local chain auto parts store and rent a cooling system pressure tester. You will remove the cap and put the pressure tester on. Pump it up to 16-18 psi and let it sit. It should stay steady. If that is good, check the cap itself. After that, i would suggest a good name brand thermostat. If everything tests good/has been replaced, I would start looking into bigger issues. Testing for combustion gases in the cooling system, etc.

Lowrider1976

Grandma's grocerie getter
Reaction score
I successfully installed the b3121 braille battery yesterday. Man that puppy just makes it in place with the cables stretched onto it. They really need to make a reverse post option. My relaxed pace took 40 minutes or so with fiddling around removing tape etc. Longest...battery...change... ever lol. 30 lbs of weight saved!

Picked up two 5 gal pails of vp c85 tonight. With roughly a 4.5 hour ride round trip to get it, that's about 15 gallons of gas for the pickup truck. Makes that e85 cost approximately $27/ gal. Ouch. I can't complain about $4.25/ gal for regular after that purchase. Hoping it will all be worth it in smiles per gallon in the end! :burnout:

802SHO

Stock Cams
Reaction score
I successfully installed the b3121 braille battery yesterday. Man that puppy just makes it in place with the cables stretched onto it. They really need to make a reverse post option. My relaxed pace took 40 minutes or so with fiddling around removing tape etc. Longest...battery...change... ever lol. 30 lbs of weight saved!

Picked up two 5 gal pails of vp c85 tonight. With roughly a 4.5 hour ride round trip to get it, that's about 15 gallons of gas for the pickup truck. Makes that e85 cost approximately $27/ gal. Ouch. I can't complain about $4.25/ gal for regular after that purchase. Hoping it will all be worth it in smiles per gallon in the end! :burnout:
C85 is where it’s at! I bet you’ll wish you grabbed 4 (5gal)! That’s what I was using at the track last.

Like you I made my existing battery cables work for my Braille 21 but afterward I couldn’t help but notice battery cable extensions at O’Reillys after ha!

Lowrider1976

Reaction score
C85 is where it’s at! I bet you’ll wish you grabbed 4 (5gal)! That’s what I was using at the track last.

Like you I made my existing battery cables work for my Braille 21 but afterward I couldn’t help but notice battery cable extensions at O’Reillys after ha!
Yeah I didn't think about it until that moment where I was at "I'm not sure that side is going to reach" mentally. It was so close though that after I got the positive side connected I was going to MAKE it work lol. A small notch in the battery tray would've made it easier a well.

Bluezone

Tailgaters will be prosecuted.
Reaction score
Is something we can do manually, or is it through our tune?
It's something you have to do manually. From the factory they should be adjusted to open at 3 PSI. But I was seeing some strange things in my logs. Plus the sounds I was hearing, whistling, was making me suspect one turbo was working harder than the other.
Basically you take an automotive pressure tester and hook it up to the blow-off valves. Slowly raise the pressure while very carefully watching the diaphragm arms.
At the first hint of movement check your pressure gauge on the pressure tester. If it says 3 PSI is good. In my case the rear turbo was opening at half a PSI. Not good. LOL
To adjust the rear turbo you break Free the lock. And turn it out of the way a couple turns. Then remove the circlip on the wastegate arm , with a magnet very close. Then turn the adjusting Clevis to make the arm longer or shorter. With the wastegate closed and 3 PSI applied to the wastegate diaphragm, the arm should just pop over the Pivot Point if the length is adjusted correctly. Have fun getting the circlip back on. For the front turbo you're going to have to remove exhaust bits and pieces to even get near it. Thank God I didn't have to adjust the front one.

Last edited:

jasong_10

SHO Member
Reaction score
It's something you have to do manually. From the factory they should be adjusted to open at 3 PSI. But I was seeing some strange things in my logs. Plus the sounds I was hearing, whistling, was making me suspect one turbo was working harder than the other.
Basically you take an automotive pressure tester and hook it up to the blow-off valves. Slowly raise the pressure while very carefully watching the diaphragm arms.
At the first hint of movement check your pressure gauge on the pressure tester. If it says 3 PSI is good. In my case the rear turbo was opening at half a PSI. Not good. LOL
To adjust the rear turbo you break Free the lock. And turn it out of the way a couple turns. Then remove the circlip on the wastegate arm , with a magnet very close. Then turn the adjusting Clevis to make the arm longer or shorter. With the wastegate closed and 3 PSI applied to the wastegate diaphragm, the arm should just pop over the Pivot Point if the length is adjusted correctly. Have fun getting the circlip back on. For the front turbo you're going to have to remove exhaust bits and pieces to even get near it. Thank God I didn't have to adjust the front one.

Gotcha, thank you.

Wsho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Go to your local chain auto parts store and rent a cooling system pressure tester. You will remove the cap and put the pressure tester on. Pump it up to 16-18 psi and let it sit. It should stay steady. If that is good, check the cap itself. After that, i would suggest a good name brand thermostat. If everything tests good/has been replaced, I would start looking into bigger issues. Testing for combustion gases in the cooling system, etc.
I picked up a RAT STAT 170* thermostat 3 weeks ago from Lee at Ortiz performance. I doubt if that would be defective..
When it does get hot the car doesn't overheat and there's nothing leaking..
When I have time this week I'll swing by Rent a cooling system tester and give it a try. I think there still might be air in the lines I'll keep playing with it that's about all I can do for right now..

Lowrider1976

Reaction score
What did I do today? I filled up with $5.27 a gallon gasoline.
I drove mine today to burn up some of said ridiculously expensive gas... so I can then fill it with e30 to test this weekend. Which ironically will be even more expensive, doh!

I also made my first pull with meth today on a boosted launch. Very nice! :burnout:

DadMobile

Worlds 3rd least slowest Ecoboost SHO
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, I'm paying CAD$7.6 per gallon for 87 and CAD$8.55 for 93.
This equates to USD$5.84 for 87 and USD$6.57 for 93.

You are welcome !
I think y’all are being bamboozeled!

GotGrip?

Conversation Ruiner
Reaction score
paid 2.80 for e85 and 4.30 for 91 last night, prices aren't too bad depending on where you are.