SM105K's Ownership/Performance/Maintenance Thread

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
Lexus Update: I did get to work on her. I filled up the 10 lb CO2 bottle. I haven't tested it full blast yet. Still need too. I went to install the Knock Pro V3 however I hit a major snag. I need to place the new Bosch knock sensor in the stock location. However, the fastener that is built into the stock Toyota sensor is larger in diameter than the Bosch sensor. So I needed to buy a special stud...which will take another couple of days to arrive.

So I am hosed. I did notice a brake fluid leak over the past couple of days. I checked all the calipers, and they were dry. I followed all the lines, and low behold I found the problem. I had to replace a cracked hose from my brake booster to the anti lock distribution block. Over the years and numerous heat cycles sitting next to the turbine housing, literally smoked it. I also bought some heat wrap and protected some other items. I do think that I have a leaking valve cover gasket as well. Probably need to rip those out and fix them. So yeah, not the update I wanted to give you guys, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Zpak

Es Aich Oh!
Reaction score
The other day I yanked the front right CV out of the edge so my wife took the SHO to work. Got in the F150 to go pick up the new CV and was greeted with a screaming power steering pump and manual steering. Popped the pressure side.

Hey, on your way home from work...

SM105K

Reaction score
Lexus Update - So I got the Knock Pro 3V installed. Pretty easy to install. Fired it up and started logging on the laptop. @stripSHO has been great with rolling the power in. The drivability is great and the power is wow. However we are still pretty soft on timing still, which is a good thing. Not going to divulge any type of timing numbers yet. Boost is holding around 25 to 26 psi, and fuel pressure and AFR's are rock solid.

I did take her out and log and there is zero detonation. That brings a smile to my face. That means we can start adding timing. I have a feeling we can pick up another 70 to 100 more hp with just timing. If we can get the hp we are making at 26 psi right now, to be made at 20 psi with more timing I would be stoked. The car at 26 psi right now is a rocket and getting unruly but in a good way. I would estimate it is making 600 to 650 to the tire on 26 psi of boost and low timing.

Short term goals: add more timing to make more hp all the way up to 26 psi and possibly more. Once that is achieved, we can turn down the boost hopefully making the same power.

Long terms goals: wire in the mac valve and let the Haltech completely control boost. This is allow us to set up different boost groups, enable a scramble feature, and possibly dabble with anti lag

Driving around in 75 degree weather, I was getting a consistent 26 psi using my manual boost controller/

I drove it on Saturday and it was colder here...around 50 degrees and it immediately went into boost cut which is set at 27 psi. So with the colder weather (denser air) it was picking up boost. When I got it home I turned it down. With the MAC valve and Haltech controlling it, I shouldn't have to do that.

All in all, she is ripping, and Shane is doing a great job tuning it.

20221126 201843

Last edited:

SM105K

Reaction score
Lexus Update: Shane got me a new revision and I loaded her up. Got everything set up and made some hits. I got a grip of data that will make things more interesting. Shane added some timing at top and there is quite a difference. However, adding more timing across the power range isn't as easy as I thought it would be. It is going to take some time. Boost held a steady at 26.6 psi, AFR's were rock solid, and there was no knock. I have a pretty nice piece of road where I am able to data log. Later at night, little risk of danger (expect to myself).

I was about to call it a night when, I noticed a C7Z about to turn onto the freeway. Super clean, carbon fiber induction hood, sounded great. I kinda egged him on, and on that particular stretch of freeway it happens to dip right into Mexico (weird huh?). From about a 70/75 roll off we went. He got the hit and put about 1.5 cars on me (PD blower vs big single). I stopped the pull and locked up the Z, until I ran out of gear in 4th gear. Damn good run. Thumbs up and I heard him downshift again. This time I got the hit, and we locked door to door again until I ran out of gear. Dude was super cool and we slowed down, and he yelled his Z was full bolt on, on E85. Most FBO Z's on E85 make 640 to 680 hp to the tire for reference. C7Z curb weigh is around 3500 lbs.

The curb weight of a stock Lexus IS300 is 3285 lbs. However, add a couple hundred lbs for turbo kit, IC, CO2 kit, and a wide body kit. Then add another 275 for my heavy ass. So 3760 ish.

So both cars are within a couple hundred lbs of each other. If I take an average of the FBO Z numbers at 650/660 hp, it just confirms my thoughts that the Lexus is putting down roughly the same power.........

Once we get the tune all sorted, I will dyno the Lexus to see what exactly she makes when we are done.

Last edited:

SM105K

Reaction score
Lexus Update: So a couple of updates. First being the failure of my boost gauge. It just quit. Won't power on. So I bit the bullet and bought a Turbosmart E-boost Street Electronic Boost Controller. Install was pretty straight forward. However, I had to navigate a jungle of wiring mess, move things ect. That being said, I did get it all installed. I want to run the boost control through Haltech, but that will be further down the road. The Eboost unit will do perfect for right now. I got all the settings and targeted boost levels for the low boost group and the high boost group done within 10 minutes. I have settled on 17 psi for the low boost group, and 26 for the high boost group. It is really nice because when the air temp changes the manual boost controller cannot adjust and I would go into overboost. I would have to pull over and manually turn the boost controller down. Now I just have to punch a button and turn a K.N.O.B. I did get to my threshold of 26 psi, and then I went to log it. At that boost level, cold weather, and e50....the 350 lph fuel pump was starting to struggle. It wasn't lean lean, but I wasn't happy.

20221217 09482720221216 19125920221216 17424720221218 134218

Last edited:

SM105K

Reaction score
Lexus Update: So after watching the 350 lph fuel pump struggle in the cold, I knew it was time. I bought a 525 lph in tank pump and added that to the the mix. I did have to modify my pump assembly. So there was some hacking. However, I got it all to fit and modified and dropped it into the tank. Went out and ripped her on 26 psi, and she was perfectly happy.

20221218 10100220221218 11020120221218 110152

SM105K

Reaction score
So what do you think so far, will it dust the SHO?
From a dig, no. Trying to launch the twin disc and shifting the R154 is super notchy and hard. You cannot speed or power shift my R154. The transmission itself just will not let you. Also on each shift it falls out of boost. It is not optimized for dig racing. That will change when I Turbo 400 swap it.

From a roll, my SHO is dog meat. 3rd gear to a 4th gear shift from 60 mph to 130 mph or a 4th gear roll from 70 to 130...we are talking bus lengths.....

They are complete polar opposites. The SHO is super refined, predictable, easy to launch, easy to drive, and fun until about a 100 mph. The Lexus on the other hand, is a pain in the ass to launch, a pain in the ass to shift, a pain in the ass to drive, but when the boost ramps in, better grab ahold of your own ass.

Last edited:

SM105K

Reaction score
All them electrical intestines splayed out. My ADD brain went into full vapor lock looking at it. Good job.
Hahah, I knew the monster that was lurking. However, I did tame it ....kinda.

jdarq0h

Reaction score
thanks for notifying me of this thread

so the performance package is not a suspension upgrade
it is just the gearing 3.17 vs .2.77
the fancy 20 inch wheels and a steering wheel?

or did i miss read that?

SM105K

Reaction score
thanks for notifying me of this thread

so the performance package is not a suspension upgrade
it is just the gearing 3.17 vs .2.77
the fancy 20 inch wheels and a steering wheel?

or did i miss read that?
There are numerous other things like TC button, 3.16 final drive ratio, PTU cooler, trans cooler, upgraded pistons, better brake pads. Yes the PP came with stiffer springs, and different shocks. The PP is just a loaded Police Interceptor sedan.

jdarq0h

Reaction score
There are numerous other things like TC button, 3.16 final drive ratio, PTU cooler, trans cooler, upgraded pistons, better brake pads. Yes the PP came with stiffer springs, and different shocks. The PP is just a loaded Police Interceptor sedan.
i hate when there is a performance performance version of a taurus... i thought i was good with just the SHO version of the taurus...

i built an non comp package e46 m3 into a competition package e46 m3 years ago in my 30's but that was before you needed to recode the ecu if you slammed the door too hard or added 93 octane gas.. i may search for pp springs and shocks and the differential for a quick swap.. but i doubt if i work on pistons.. lol

Bluezone

Tailgaters will be prosecuted.
Reaction score
i hate when there is a performance performance version of a taurus... i thought i was good with just the SHO version of the taurus...

i built an non comp package e46 m3 into a competition package e46 m3 years ago in my 30's but that was before you needed to recode the ecu if you slammed the door too hard or added 93 octane gas.. i may search for pp springs and shocks and the differential for a quick swap.. but i doubt if i work on pistons.. lol
Front sway bar is a couple millimeters thinner on that performance pack as well. It helps turn in.

bpd1151

Lurking Around
Reaction score
Upgraded pistons......????

Do share, as I am unaware of any differentiation in pistons between the two packages.

Everything else you list is accurate though. So for that....

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoTimeSleeper

Members online