Short Throw Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasocal13

Reaction score
Does anyone or any place make a short throw shifter for a 1995 SHO MTX, Or something similar that works? (Generic) I race mine dirt track racing and looking to be able to shift faster from 1st to 2nd. Thanks

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
There isn't any place to buy a short shifter new. There was a guy named Jose that offered two options for short shifter but he hasn't been active in years. One option was a completely fabricated(SHOrt) shifter that he designed and built. The other was a way to modify the factory shifter(SHOrty) . Search "Jose SHOrt shifter" to see his old thread. I have used both and prefer the second option and currently have one in each of my 2 modified SHOs. You might be able to find one if you post a WTB in the classified section. You might also join the SHO Marketplace on Facebook if you haven't already.

-Chad

jasocal13

Reaction score
There isn't any place to buy a short shifter new. There was a guy named Jose that offered two options for short shifter but he hasn't been active in years. One option was a completely fabricated(SHOrt) shifter that he designed and built. The other was a way to modify the factory shifter(SHOrty) . Search "Jose SHOrt shifter" to see his old thread. I have used both and prefer the second option and currently have one in each of my 2 modified SHOs. You might be able to find one if you post a WTB in the classified section. You might also join the SHO Marketplace on Facebook if you haven't already.

-Chad
2nd option meaning the short or shorty? Thanks

jasocal13

Reaction score
The one that I prefer is the SHOrty. It's a modified stock shifter. Very smooth movement with a much shorter throw.

-Chad
Thank you very much. If by chance anyone on here or anyone you know has one willing to sell, please let me know.

revhardSHO

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much. If by chance anyone on here or anyone you know has one willing to sell, please let me know.
Alternatively, you can also get away with cutting about 1" off the stock shifter rod and not change the geometry of the feel or your shift changes.

Once you have it cut down, you can go ahead and thread the rod so the **** goes back on securely.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha k n ob is blocked. Just so stupid. It's funny a team of employees had to gather as many potentially metaphoric references to genitalia as possible

revhardSHO

SHO Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha k n ob is blocked. Just so stupid. It's funny a team of employees had to gather as many potentially metaphoric references to genitalia as possible
Who owns the forum now? Is it in the hands of a corporation? I remember when Bizzy owned it, IIRC.... havent posted here in years but I remember the good old days.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Not sure. Member Shaggy is top admin so maybe also owner. Funny that I used to know these things but now I do not. Bizzy was engaged and hands on so big difference

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I used to have all sorts of random knowledge about these cars a decade ago. Alot of that is gone now. At least I can usually remember a topic and can use the search function :burnout:. More electrical gremlins popping up now now, which aren't all in the way back though

Holiday

SHO Member
Reaction score
I have a 94' SHO I just bought and it seems the shifter is shorter than than pics of seen of other SHO shifters. Was the shifter ever shortened in the 2nd gen models? My only complaint with my shifter is that it's wobbly and difficult to shift gears smoothly and with little guesswork. So I'm wondering what can be done, not sure if it's just wear or due to original design. Is there a kit, bushings or something I can install?

Also wonder is the reverse gear grind really all that normal on these cars? Seems like a design flaw that should have been corrected in later models if so. I also get some shudder sometimes going in reverse, not sure if thst's a sign of the clutch going, I hope not.

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
I have a 94' SHO I just bought and it seems the shifter is shorter than than pics of seen of other SHO shifters. Was the shifter ever shortened in the 2nd gen models? My only complaint with my shifter is that it's wobbly and difficult to shift gears smoothly and with little guesswork. So I'm wondering what can be done, not sure if it's just wear or due to original design. Is there a kit, bushings or something I can install?

Also wonder is the reverse gear grind really all that normal on these cars? Seems like a design flaw that should have been corrected in later models if so. I also get some shudder sometimes going in reverse, not sure if thst's a sign of the clutch going, I hope not.
There are bushings that wear out. Shosource sells repair kits to tighten everything up.

Reverse is not a synchronized gear. The proper way to shift into reverse is to press in the clutch, then go into any forward gear(I do 4th), and then reverse. Going into the forward gear first prevents the grind.

-Chad

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
You may also have a Jose short shifter installed or a shortened shifter handle which were not uncommon modifications years ago. That being said most likely fix is Chad's post above regarding bushings. Non synchro reverse is also correct. You can not just try and put it into reverse w/out frequent grinding

Holiday

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Will get the kit from SHO source.

As for reverse, now that I think about it seems like every car I own doesn't like reverse. The constant "am I in reverse gear...nope...maybe now...nope..."

RonPorter

SHO Club of America
Reaction score
Reverse on about every box is an issue. Mine is a 2018 Tremec 6-speed, and unless I have the clutch all the way to the floor, and wait a second, it won't go. Same with basically the same Tremec box in my previous 2015.

restkro67q

Reaction score
I used to be in the same boat. I recently drove a car very similar to mine with a short shifter in it. The speed of shifting was improved, but clutch operation still went about the same. The real improvement was in feel. Compared to my stock shifter this felt tighter and more precise. It made the transmission feel like one from a better car. A quality short shifter will eliminate slop and feel better than stock.
momix
indigocard.xyz

Last edited:

clayb226

Reaction score
When I bought my 92, I was curious why my shift **** was polished? Someone on here suggested it was a 2000 mustang shift ****. After further investigation, I noticed the shifter is shorter, and it leans towards the driver. That made me think that someone has replaced the whole shifter in my car? I do like the shifter, but I haven't been able to drive it yet, so I can't tell you how it works in practice. It feels a little clunky just shifting the car.

Sent from my SM-S236DL using Tapatalk

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
You might have a Jose run of SHOrt shifters or a stock shifter that was modified by shortening the stock shift lever. You would have to get a look under the boot.

Custom SHOrt shifter and stock 1707594666356

Back