SHO vs GL/LX suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I Was hoping to get some good insight as to what the differences are for the suspension between the SLO and the SHO. Specifically 1994
I bought a '94 recently that's been slightly mooded, stiff suspension, etc. I want to restore it to stock, but i wanna make sure what i buy is correct since most parts stores seem to only list standard parts.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
There are very few sho specific suspension parts in the supply chain as far as I know. Maybe still some strut mounts but as far as strut replacements. Not really. THere are suspension parts lists archived on here somewhere if you try the search function and sift through them. Some members posted part numbers in detailed and semi-detailed lists

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably won't find new stock Ford struts that came with the car. I have seen some single struts in the past, but no pairs. There are recent posts on what struts/springs are still available (Monroe, Moog, Gabriel, etc.) for the Gen 2 cars. Are you looking for stock springs as well? You might contact SV&HOdan to see if he has any.

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
I figure true Ford wasn't around anymore, but really i'm trying to find what was actually different between regular and SHO from the factory

NoSlo

SHO Owner
Reaction score
"Been slightly modded" - with what parts? I'll tell you this: there is little you can buy these days to make a SHO "stiff" (apart from rear Moog cargo coils without matching struts), so what you have now may be a prize.

The SHO was shipped stiffer in 1994. Now we actually can't restore the thing to "stock" or add performance: most have to resort to sticking on regular Taurus quickstruts or such.

The determined can still find a few new-old-stock parts occasionally with the original part numbers, for example the original "JIT" code springs used on early non-plush SHOs now on my ATX. Also a few Motorcraft strut part numbers, that at least are not aftermarket, if not actually SHO damping. Here's a thread.

rubydist

SHO Master
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
iirc, the lower front control arms were unique to the SHO and the struts and shocks were stiffer than the slo parts. Front springs were a bit stiffer too, as I recall, but the rears I think were the same. Sway bars were larger on the SHO and of course the wheels and tires were unique.

If you want it to ride like stock and handle better, the best single suspension mod you can do (imho) is to put in the Gen3 subframe and subframe bushings from the Gen3. Even if you want to keep the stock subframe, use Gen3 rear subframe bushings in all 4 locations on your 94. It will be a significant improvement and is not harsh or stiff. Using the Gen3 subframe makes it even better. You can find detailed threads on the forum that will describe the work.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what makes the suspension stiff? There were Koni inserts for struts that were stiffer and coilovers neither of which are readily available as far as I know. You would have to know what is there that is making it stiffer than a normal setup to know what to change.

rubydist

SHO Master
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
First thing I thought of was aluminum subframe bushings. They add a lot of nvh and at least apparent stiffness.

Bill Strobel

theamcguy
Reaction score
Here is a a chart with spring codes and spring rates. Try and compare what is available now with what came on the car new. Be advised all of the loaded stuts available for the Taurus use a soft spring rate.

Attachments

• Taurus SHO Coil Spring Application & Codes.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 24

BaySHO Performance

SHO Member
Reaction score
Here is more info on spring rates. Stock as well as aftermarket. Buy Quick Struts if you have to, but know that they have the softer SLO spring rates. Pic of front springs has a SHO on the left verified as 200 lb. per inch, SLO on the right verified as 155 Lb. per inch. So best to retain the current springs if they are original:

Attachments

• IMG_20210204_135906551.jpg
    IMG_20210204_135906551.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 24

BaySHO Performance

SHO Member
Reaction score
The complete list of sway bars used, from the SHO Shop catalogue:

89-90 24mm front, 26 rear

91-92 24 front, 23 rear to decrease understeer

93-95, front will be 20.5 or 23, rear 20.5 or 23.

Hopefully you setup isn't 23 front, 20.5 rear which would handle like a pig. The best was 24 / 26, although it's common practice to drop the front to 19 or 20.5 to get the front wheel to dig in more when cornering, especially with stiffer springs.

There's also a 29mm rear, but that's too stiff, even for the track. Sway bars are interchangeable between years.

PaulTAutoX

SHO Member
Reaction score
As Nick said, the swaybars were all over the place from Ford. My '92 did come with 24F/23R. Though I did do the "drop front bar size" trick for the Stock class, then when I went to a Touring class I ended up using the 29mm rear for my car for its best autocross setup. The rear inside tires spent little time on the ground, but all the rears do is hold the bumper from dragging anyway. :biggrin: So the point is that you can put a variety of bars on and be "stock", so why not increase the sizes a bit and get the better handling?

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
I was looking more into it and found the spring code on the door sticker. FFZZ. I found a part number for spring F, E6DZ-5310-F. I could look into getting custom springs for her, but what about the rest of the strut? Are those also different?
That said, does anyone know the proper dimensions and spring rate of those?
The PDF Bill linked shows 907 / 155 and 462 / 100. But I don't know the dimensions, or what other specs I would need.

Last edited:

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
Update: Was perusing the rockauto and found TRW JCS1793T for the rear. Claims to be a direct replacement for code "Z" springs. Wondering if anyone had any experience with these? I actually called their tech support just to verify if these were indeed specifically "Z" springs and he confirmed that they are.

BaySHO Performance

SHO Member
Reaction score
Ford had 3 letter codes. Z isn't one of them. The SHO uses the Heavy Duty springs. Also from my records:

Spring, front, code J (2)E6DZ-5310-AJ
Spring, front, code K (2)E6DZ-5310-AK
Spring, rear code J (2)F1DZ-5560-Z
Spring, rear code W (2)F1DZ-5560-A
IMG 20240508 170917252 841x1024

Last edited:

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
?
Says Z right on the door sticker :p

That said, still looking for a custom spring maker for the fronts.

Attachments

• 0509240104.jpg
    0509240104.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 0509240059a.jpg
    0509240059a.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

NoSlo

SHO Owner
Reaction score
zed and kob ring a bell. think my 93 came with zed tags on the springs. Good for saggy backs 15 years later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosieK76

Members online

Back