Seat bolsters sprung a leak, what can I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
Hello again! Issue now with the seats, the side bolsters on my '94 won't stay inflated. What can be done about this? Seems to be leaking ever so slightly around the seams, based on the bucket of water test. I have checked various things over both with a guage and inflator as per the service manual (5psi for 3 hours) and took the whole seat apart to dunk the airbags and lines in a bucket of water. Pressure went down and saw bubbles coming from the air bags. Any one know of a way to reseal these? Or where to get new ones?

Devin

3.Slow
Reaction score
They are not a SHO specific seat, so there may be options, but they are so old I would be surprised if you can find NOS bladders anywhere.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
I've never seen these particular seats in another vehicle. I'm curious what other cars use this seat?

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
That's good to know, I think I read somewhere that Super Coups had the same setup. They look similar albeit with a different cover. Wonder if the jy will let me bring my air pump and water bucket.
I do wonder if there is anyway to reseal the old ones, since they're not torn or anything

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
From a cloth late '94 with power everything. Kia ABS recall for scale.

Attachments

• 0627242030.jpg
    0627242030.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 0627242030a.jpg
    0627242030a.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 0627242031.jpg
    0627242031.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 4

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
Interesting how yours has plastic pins, as per the book, but mine had metal rivets. Ford...you keep doing you :p
Now just gotta fix the control valves lol

rubydist

SHO Master
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Usually the issue is not in the actual bags, but in the lines from the pump to the bags. The seat frame has very sharp edges from the stamping, and these air lines are typically routed over those rough edges and eventually the line leaks. Start by looking at that.

Deathacus

SHO Member
Reaction score
Agreed, in fact there was visible wear on the rear inflator lines (the one that wasn't leaking, of course) But I pulled all the lines and bags out and dunked them in a 5 gallon bucket, hooked up to a hand pump, to look for bubbles. The lines to the side bolsters were perfectly fine, tiny bubbles were coming from the air bladders' themselves, along the seams.
Not dismissing your theory, based on the marks my one line had I would think that would be the more common issue.

Back