Reichard Ultra Grip Pulleys

Lupo

New Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2001
Messages
899
Reaction score
13
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
twr said:
You're going to have to measure the belt either way. I have yet to see any 2 S/C cars using the same length belts with all other things equal.


Word.
Also take into account that the belt stretches, requiring you to tighten it a couple times.You do not want to get one too long that will bottom out the tensioner after it stretches a little.
 

TYSHO

SHO Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Messages
3,461
Reaction score
151
Location
Earth
Lupo said:
Word.
Also take into account that the belt stretches, requiring you to tighten it a couple times.You do not want to get one too long that will bottom out the tensioner after it stretches a little.

What's a good size to start off with if you don't have a belt to measure from?
 

twr

whoohoo
Joined
Aug 23, 2001
Messages
2,131
Reaction score
44
Location
half-way there, I think.
TYSHO said:
What's a good size to start off with if you don't have a belt to measure from?

Get a piece of nylon string or something that doesn't stretch. Route it as the belt would run, mark it where the 2 ends cross and measure. As has already been said, make sure the tensioner is close to the top of it's adjustment. IIRC when I measured for mine, I had the tensioner topped out and just added an inch to that length, but I also recall that belt was a little to short and had to go an inch longer.

Terry

Looky what showed up today!!

sspx0012.jpg
 
Last edited:

sho_sc

New Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
754
Reaction score
69
Location
Georgetown, KY
SHOMurph said:
Luckily I got the last 2.8 pulley they cut.

Grand experiment: I'll be running it on the s-trim. In theory the blow off valve should still keep me around 15psi ([presently hit this at higher rpm.) I'll just be hitting boost quicker. I won't be able to shift past 7k. Hopefully the fuel will be able to keep up. I might have to bump up injector size. We'll be keeping a eye on the wideband!

If I blow the s-trim....then its time to move up to the t-trim (and a very tired blow off valve will go in the trash. :)


Back in the day of "no TwEECer" , before SCTuner, and just about the only game in town was the SHOShop; I considered using a 2.85" pulley on an S-Trim and limiting the RPMs to 6950, but I could never get a tune close enough that I felt comfortable with that much boost.
 

twr

whoohoo
Joined
Aug 23, 2001
Messages
2,131
Reaction score
44
Location
half-way there, I think.
Lupo said:
What size did you get?

3.1"
Looks like the sides on this pulley are talley then my current Riechard 3.4"

I'm actually starting to feel excited about pulling the motor out of the Outlaw and getting a low comp motor built :)

Terry
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2002
Messages
1,806
Reaction score
188
Location
Arlington, TX
sho_sc said:
Back in the day of "no TwEECer" , before SCTuner, and just about the only game in town was the SHOShop; I considered using a 2.85" pulley on an S-Trim and limiting the RPMs to 6950, but I could never get a tune close enough that I felt comfortable with that much boost.

according to Vortech I can spin her up to 7 and have a whole 170rpm left. Whooof!

I'm still on a pig rich sho shop burn (little time to visit Adam.) When we put the pulley on Mr. Tony we will be watching the wideband.

we'll see what happens! I should still only see 15psi if the blow off valve still does it job.....I'll just get there quicker.
 

Lupo

New Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2001
Messages
899
Reaction score
13
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
sho_sc said:
Back in the day of "no TwEECer" , before SCTuner, and just about the only game in town was the SHOShop; I considered using a 2.85" pulley on an S-Trim and limiting the RPMs to 6950, but I could never get a tune close enough that I felt comfortable with that much boost.


I don't think that it would be possible to get good reliable grip from a 2.85 unless is was made like the Reichard ones. My 3.12 normal pulley would slip like crazy in first and second if I didn't tighten the bejeezus out of it. I get better grip with my current wrong direction Reichard pulley, and it's only about 80% as tight.
 

TYSHO

SHO Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Messages
3,461
Reaction score
151
Location
Earth
SHOMurph said:
I'm still on a pig rich sho shop burn (little time to visit Adam.)

And I thought you upgraded to the tweecer. :nut:

SHOMurph said:
we'll see what happens! I should still only see 15psi if the blow off valve still does it job.....I'll just get there quicker.

Not only quicker, but some more usable torque too! :evilgrin: I'm trying to think of a way for myself to allow a quick spool up while limiting the boost on top, but it'll be harder because my pulley is smaller than any mentioned in this thread. :oogle:
 

TYSHO

SHO Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Messages
3,461
Reaction score
151
Location
Earth
twr said:
Get a piece of nylon string or something that doesn't stretch. Route it as the belt would run, mark it where the 2 ends cross and measure. As has already been said, make sure the tensioner is close to the top of it's adjustment. IIRC when I measured for mine, I had the tensioner topped out and just added an inch to that length, but I also recall that belt was a little to short and had to go an inch longer.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I will do just that when I find something long enough to take measure.
 

sho_sc

New Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
754
Reaction score
69
Location
Georgetown, KY
twr said:
3.1"
Looks like the sides on this pulley are talley then my current Riechard 3.4"

I'm actually starting to feel excited about pulling the motor out of the Outlaw and getting a low comp motor built :)

Terry

My 3.0" and 2.8" are the same height, just the cut is deeper on the 2.8" ..
 

yamahaSHO

E85 whore
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Messages
10,646
Reaction score
2,513
Location
Arkansas
I got another call today, but again, I never have my phone. They said they made my 3.2" and have two extra's to sell too. They're calling me back tomorrow morning to get my payment and I'll have a pulley. I guess I need to port and polish my heads so I can take them to the machine shop! Heck, I need to send off my stock cams to be reground... I almost forgot about that.
 

yamahaSHO

E85 whore
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Messages
10,646
Reaction score
2,513
Location
Arkansas
I'm leaving it as it. The placement on the SS piping sucks anyway. Josh said he left the valve completely off for testing and IIRC, he lost 2 PSI. I wouldn't trust it to limit boost.

BTW, Jean, thanks for Josh's (Reichard Racing) e-mail address. I e-mailed him and got a call about an hour later.
 

jeanrw2000

Lechon Asado!
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
668
Reaction score
1
Location
Brawley, CA
yamahaSHO said:
I'm leaving it as it. The placement on the SS piping sucks anyway. Josh said he left the valve completely off for testing and IIRC, he lost 2 PSI. I wouldn't trust it to limit boost..

thanks,
earlier when i first got problems with my idle i played with the adjusting bolt in top of it...

I wonder if my BOV is working properly?
aren't those types set up to vent a 9psi anyways?


yamahaSHO said:
BTW, Jean, thanks for Josh's (Reichard Racing) e-mail address. I e-mailed him and got a call about an hour later.

just glad to help boss.:thumb:

Jean.
 

yamahaSHO

E85 whore
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Messages
10,646
Reaction score
2,513
Location
Arkansas
jeanrw2000 said:
thanks,
earlier when i first got problems with my idle i played with the adjusting bolt in top of it...

I wonder if my BOV is working properly?
aren't those types set up to vent a 9psi anyways?

The "pop-off" pressure is limited to the spring. There are three or four different springs you can buy that are adjustable (by the screw) within differen PSI setting. When I bought my bypass valve, it had the red spring which was good from something like 9-14 PSI. At idle, with the screw backed off, it would not even open the valve. I ended up buying a white spring (they are color coded for the HKS valves) that was the lowest. I think it was good for 2-6 PSI, however, if you have it setup to allow boost to hold the valve closed, it will stay closed regardless of what spring you have. I did this to allow the valve to open at idle. I adjusted it so it was around 5 - 6PSI.
 

jeanrw2000

Lechon Asado!
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
668
Reaction score
1
Location
Brawley, CA
yamahaSHO said:
The "pop-off" pressure is limited to the spring. There are three or four different springs you can buy that are adjustable (by the screw) within differen PSI setting. When I bought my bypass valve, it had the red spring which was good from something like 9-14 PSI. At idle, with the screw backed off, it would not even open the valve. I ended up buying a white spring (they are color coded for the HKS valves) that was the lowest. I think it was good for 2-6 PSI, however, if you have it setup to allow boost to hold the valve closed, it will stay closed regardless of what spring you have. I did this to allow the valve to open at idle. I adjusted it so it was around 5 - 6PSI.


so if you have the BOV set up to like say "9psi", how come some people said that they are seeing like 13-15psi?

Part No. Application PSI Color Price

17674-002100 ALL 3.5~9 White $27.00

17674-004100 ALL 12~18 Red $27.00

17674-008100 ALL 6~12 Yellow $27.00


http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=760

for some reason i was under the impression that the amount of boost generate by the SC was determine by the BOV capacity?

Also do you know how to reset the spring to factory the set up? i am pretty sure Vadim sold me the 9psi one.
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2002
Messages
1,806
Reaction score
188
Location
Arlington, TX
When Tony upgraded to the T-trim and the smaller pulley his old blow off valve never let him get over 15 psi. The damn thing fluttered all the time but never let boost get over 15.

He has a fully adjustable one now that goes up to a gazillion psi.
 

sho_sc

New Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
754
Reaction score
69
Location
Georgetown, KY
BOV Tidbits

This probably should be posted in a different place, but here is some info that I have learned about BOVs.

1) I really need to upgrade mine. I have a Greddy that is "way" too small. With the 2.8" pulley and the T-trim, any time I back-off at over 2800 RPMs my MAF tube gets unequally pressurized and the MAF signal goes bonkers. Anything greater than 4000 RPM, I get compressor surge ... it will even hold open the T-body plate momentarily.

2) There are 2 vacuum ports on a BOV, one above the plunger and one below. The one above is what most of us use. Your vacuum source should be post T-body. If only the top vacuum port is connected, then you can't "blow off" boost because the more boost you make the more the plunger is pressing downward. As soon as the upper port sees less boost than the blower is making (minus the spring), it opens. If you hook up the lower port to a pre T-body source in addition to the upper port, then the spring dictates how much boost you see before it's blow off.

3) [just from conjecture] The exception to (2) is when you are using an intercooler and running really high boost, there could be enough differential between what the upper port sees and what is being produced at the base of the BOV that a weak spring could bleed off boost.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
104,298
Messages
1,150,929
Members
13,964
Latest member
ShoTimeSleeper

Members online

Top