Question on Aesthetic of Michelin Primacy MXM4's....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derek-SHO/Z33

Reaction score
It's time to replace my stock 245/45/20 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires at close to 40K miles (original set) on my 2015 SHO.

Dealer has said Primacy is only available in 255/40/20 now (not worried on small size difference, I know these will fit) but also thought they were discontinued. Michelin told me they're active and no plans on discontinuing.

What I really like about the tire is the aesthetics of the sidewall, along with the fact they've done me well for when/where and how I drive.

Does anyone know what produces that negative, or almost 45 degree angle incline back towards the seal near the lip of the rims? Is it simply the byproduct of running a 245 tire on an 8" rim?

I've tried to look for some similar tires just in case I want to stick with 245/45/20 if the MXM4s are in fact discontinued. It looks like Goodyear Eagle Touring or Michelin Pilots produce a similar look/sidewall.

Does anyone have any recommendations based on what I've mentioned above or some pics of their tires that produce a similar aesthetic? Does anyone run the 255/40 Primacy MXM4?

Thanks all!

Attachments

• Mich Primacy.jpg
    Mich Primacy.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 21

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's time to replace my stock 245/45/20 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires at close to 40K miles (original set) on my 2015 SHO.

Dealer has said Primacy is only available in 255/40/20 now (not worried on small size difference, I know these will fit) but also thought they were discontinued. Michelin told me they're active and no plans on discontinuing.

What I really like about the tire is the aesthetics of the sidewall, along with the fact they've done me well for when/where and how I drive.

Does anyone know what produces that negative, or almost 45 degree angle incline back towards the seal near the lip of the rims? Is it simply the byproduct of running a 245 tire on an 8" rim?

I've tried to look for some similar tires just in case I want to stick with 245/45/20 if the MXM4s are in fact discontinued. It looks like Goodyear Eagle Touring or Michelin Pilots produce a similar look/sidewall.

Does anyone have any recommendations based on what I've mentioned above or some pics of their tires that produce a similar aesthetic? Does anyone run the 255/40 Primacy MXM4?

Thanks all!
The car originally came with Goodyear's - the overwhelming majority of folks here use either one of two tires for street summer performance.

CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS
MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT

That said might I suggest you go to Tire rack to at least shop what is out there, Michelin makes Pilots with all weather - depending where you live.

Also https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ to see why the tires look a little weird.

Derek-SHO/Z33

Reaction score
Try Simple Tire. Even more options. Everything from no name Chinese to USA name brand.
The car originally came with Goodyear's - the overwhelming majority of folks here use either one of two tires for street summer performance.

CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS
MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT

That said might I suggest you go to Tire rack to at least shop what is out there, Michelin makes Pilots with all weather - depending where you live.

Also https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ to see why the tires look a little weird.

Thanks for the link and suggestions on the brands! Michigan here so I have to at least consider the threat of snow/rain.

OEM for me wasn't Goodyear, it was Michelin Primacy MXM4 just like what's pictured in the review here: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/taurus/2015/photos/

I've seen odd combos for that year including Primacy on the SHO flower pattern rim. Chicago (CAP) probably did whatever they needed to do with their stock.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link and suggestions on the brands! Michigan here so I have to at least consider the threat of snow/rain.

OEM for me wasn't Goodyear, it was Michelin Primacy MXM4 just like what's pictured in the review here: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/taurus/2015/photos/

I've seen odd combos for that year including Primacy on the SHO flower pattern rim. Chicago (CAP) probably did whatever they needed to do with their stock.
Those pictures are a 2015 Limited. I am curious if you have the window sticker for your vehicle. Does the listed wheels match what wheels you have? At the dealer, someone may have bought a car and wanted different wheels or tires. (For example someone wanted the Limited with the wheels or tires that were on the SHO or vice versa.) Are your tires V speed rated? The 255 MXM4 is only a H. Are you sure you have the Primacy MXM4 or are they Pilot MXM4? The Pilot MXM4 was discontinued and may be the source of the dealer saying that the other size is going to be discontinued. The Primacy and the Pilot have different goals. The Primacy is more concentrated on a quiet, comfortable all-season ride. The Pilot is a more performance oriented All-Season.

https://simpletire.com/vehicles/ford-tires/taurus/2015

Personally, I am running the DSW06+. I am in Ohio (Michigan transplant). I run the 255s rear round and have not had an issue. These are actually my second pair on this SHO.

Derek-SHO/Z33

Reaction score
Those pictures are a 2015 Limited. I am curious if you have the window sticker for your vehicle. Does the listed wheels match what wheels you have? At the dealer, someone may have bought a car and wanted different wheels or tires. (For example someone wanted the Limited with the wheels or tires that were on the SHO or vice versa.) Are your tires V speed rated? The 255 MXM4 is only a H. Are you sure you have the Primacy MXM4 or are they Pilot MXM4? The Pilot MXM4 was discontinued and may be the source of the dealer saying that the other size is going to be discontinued. The Primacy and the Pilot have different goals. The Primacy is more concentrated on a quiet, comfortable all-season ride. The Pilot is a more performance oriented All-Season.

https://simpletire.com/vehicles/ford-tires/taurus/2015

Personally, I am running the DSW06+. I am in Ohio (Michigan transplant). I run the 255s rear round and have not had an issue. These are actually my second pair on this SHO.

Yeah, the window sticker is in my possession and it matches the rims currently on the car (20" Machined/Low Gloss Ebony Wheel).

My picture in the first post is of my actual rim & tire (Primacy MXM4 and V rated). I didn't even consider the fact that those 255 MXM4 are only "H" rated but yeah the only 20" MXM4 they currently produce. I've been so OCD on this that I saw Primacy had both the MXM4 and MXV4 (they cite the V4 as more of a family minivan and crossover friendly tire) and I've seen where the MXV4 has been listed as discontinued (that could've also caused confusion at the dealer).

Thanks for the suggestion on the DSW06+, I had been eyeing a few Continentals -are they what is pictured in your Avatar or do you happen to have any pics of them.

Thank you!

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Those are not what is in the my avatar. I do not have any pictures handy. The wheel and tire threads may have some of similar setups.

The DSW06+ has a rim protector to aid in preventing curb rash. It is more pronounced on my car because I went with the 255.Combine that with the fact that an 8.5" rim is the minimum "recommended" width for a 255 and my tires are tapered VERY slightly. The 245 recommends a 7.5-9" wheel and is more of a traditional fit.

TDS-MN

Reaction score
My '14 came with the Primacy tires also. I went to a Continental when I picked up a drywall screw in the sidewall, several years back now. Been very happy with them, but do only use them for the summer months. Went with true snow tires in 18" rim size, after my wife curbed the 20" one icy morning.

BTW, I think that the Performance Package cars are the ones that got Goodyear from the assembly line.

Greg Winokur01

Reaction score
I’m on my 3rd set of the Michelin Primacy tires. Love them, long mileage and very quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MW91

Members online

Back