PTU Maintenance Idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlemarbre

Reaction score
Hello all. We are all aware of the challenges that come along with owning a late model SHO, especially keeping the PTU in good working condition...IE changing oil frequently, installing a plug for easy changes and watching for leaks so you don't loose all of the 8-10 oz's of oil.
The main culprit is it's location. It's surrounded by heat, exhaust, Cat, transmission...etc. which breaks down the oil and in turn creates failure.
So my question to everyone is...has someone considered covering the little SOB with a protective coating?
Maybe a high temp undercoating or engine block paint. Surely this would assist in the breakdown of the oil by blocking the outside heat source. It probably doesn't help that the PTU is made from a cast aluminum.
Thoughts, experiences?
Owner of 2016 SHO

Texas Marauder

SHO Member
Reaction score
PTU fill is 18 ounces of oil. In my experience, a water cooled PTU doesn't get over 190 or so in normal driving. It takes a while to get that high. Just change the oil every 30,000 miles.

dlemarbre

Reaction score
PTU fill is 18 ounces of oil. In my experience, a water cooled PTU doesn't get over 190 or so in normal driving. It takes a while to get that high. Just change the oil every 30,000 miles.
Sorry. I forgot about the water cooled years. Still looking for anyone that's covered their PTU

Bladee

Reaction score
PPE engineering sells ceramic coated downpipes if you have an extra 2 grand between the couch cushions. cuts back on the heat around the PTU

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PPE engineering sells ceramic coated downpipes if you have an extra 2 grand between the couch cushions. cuts back on the heat around the PTU
Though I still wrapped mine.

Mahu24

SHO Member
Reaction score
I bought stainless works downpipes, then got them ceramic coated, and the wrapped in DEI exhaust wrap. And my car has the cooler for the ptu. Works quite well now

kryptto

The Best Thing About Cars... ones in my mirror.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought stainless works downpipes, then got them ceramic coated, and the wrapped in DEI exhaust wrap. And my car has the cooler for the ptu. Works quite well now
Same after getting the downpipes coated and wrapped with a PP cooler things are much more under control temp wise. Well worth it, those cats even with the shielding throw some heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MW91

Members online

Back