Options regarding radio antenna?

Holiday

Reaction score
I had an aftermarket radio installed. Unfortunately the antenna (which seems like something out of the 50's with it's length) extends the second the head unit powers on regardless if I have the unit set to radio or AUX, BT, etc. The shop that did the install told me after the fact that if I didn't want that I'd have to get some custom wiring job done. I assume to either deactivate the antenna extending or to have the antenna extend only when the radio is selected.

What I am wondering is how either or is achieved. For now I wouldn't mind deactivating the antenna motor extending the antenna. I do occasional listen to the radio but that's perhaps 25% of the time. Has anyone disconnected the antenna motor?

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
It's been a while so I don't really remember if it goes up or down based on input. I know there is a trigger signal that goes with power on/off. You can make your own relay to manually trigger it I suppose. I wouldn't worry about it.

zoomlater

SHO Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a connector that power the antenna from the standard head unit, but since you swapped that out, I am not sure how they wired it. There is also a connector at the base of the antenna inside the passenger side wheel well, but you have to pull the tire splash guard to get to it. You can see the connector in the picture from the Shosource website.

Holiday

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I figure if I just disconnect the power to the antenna motor it'll stay down. It just looks ridiculous with the 3 foot antenna up all the time.

Sounnder

Reaction score
You can simply put an on off switch in line of the antenna trigger wire. The original wiring uses a Yellow/Black wire to trigger the antenna. Aftermarket typically use a solid blue wire for the antenna trigger which will most likely be spliced into the Yellow/Blk wire. Just pull the head unit out, find the solid blue wire and install an on off switch in series with the blue wire.

tracy_s_1993_atx

SHO Member
Reaction score
I installed an alpine receiver and connected the antenna directly try to the alpine unit. The alpine unit will extend the antenna only for the radio. All other inputs to the receiver, the antenna is lowered. The head unit has a dedicated antenna lead and a separate amplifier power on lead.

Hope this helps.

SHOMON

95 MTX
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed an alpine receiver and connected the antenna directly try to the alpine unit. The alpine unit will extend the antenna only for the radio. All other inputs to the receiver, the antenna is lowered. The head unit has a dedicated antenna lead and a separate amplifier power on lead.

Hope this helps.
One of the few aftermarket radios that have a separate amp, and antenna turn on.

luigisho

SHO Member
Reaction score
YEs. If you use aftermarket headunit then some can be capable of retracting it using usb or apple carplay or other nonradio functions. My aftermarket just keeps it up when powered and retracts with power off on I think.