Oil feed line on rear (right) turbo leak.

toms89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was stopped at a traffic light and smoke started coming from underneath my sho. Little scary so pulled over and discovered oil all underneath the car originating from the rear turbo. After much investigating it appears the oil feed line has oil on it to up near the top so fairly sure it is the issue. Decided I would order some upgraded turbos if I have to get into it anyways. If you go by the service manual you need to drop the whole front subframe to remove the turbo! Looks like others here replaced them by just dropping the axle to the right front wheel. Still not that easy to access.

I just ordered new oil feed line for the rear turbo and believe it may be possible to replace it with out removing the turbo. Would like to get it up and running while I am waiting for the new turbos. Researching it I have not seen anyone do this so not entirely confident it can be done. If anyone has tried this you can chime in. :) I did use my scope and I can clearly see where the oil feed line attaches to the turbo and can get my fingers on it from the engine bay. Getting a wrench or socket on it will be the challenge.

Anyone have photos of the engine with the turbo mounted so I can better see what I am dealing with?Sho1Sho2Sho3

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you have to pull the turbo. The piece to the block has a special tool required and you have to pull the line out of the block.

toms89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that the connection on the block has a quick disconnect fuel line type fitting, thanks. I actually have the tool for that. My concern is the access to the turbo side. Not sure if anyone has actually replaced one. If I have to pull the turbo then it is waiting because I only want to do that once. lol

M.J

Reaction score
Speaking from experience as I just replaced my turbos, I don’t believe you can fit a torx bit on the oil feed line banjo bolt. I removed the heat shield and all, and from what I saw the way the exhaust manifold and turbo is oriented, you have to pull the turbo from the manifold first, then you’ll have access to the banjo bolt. At least that’s what I did.

As far as pulling the the rear turbo, it was easy once the passenger CV axle was pulled all the way out. It practically fell right down for me. You can see some of my pictures in the “What did you do to your sho today” thread. I posted it a couple pages back.

toms89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking from experience as I just replaced my turbos, I don’t believe you can fit a torx bit on the oil feed line banjo bolt. I removed the heat shield and all, and from what I saw the way the exhaust manifold and turbo is oriented, you have to pull the turbo from the manifold first, then you’ll have access to the banjo bolt. At least that’s what I did.

As far as pulling the the rear turbo, it was easy once the passenger CV axle was pulled all the way out. It practically fell right down for me. You can see some of my pictures in the “What did you do to your sho today” thread. I posted it a couple pages back.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will look for your photos.

toms89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took awhile for me to gain access to the rear turbo oil feed line but it is done! It is extremely tight working space back there but managed to do it without pulling the turbo. Had to order a long T45 torx bit so I could access the banjo bolt with the turbo so tightly mounted under the exhaust manifold. It was a pain but can be done. Verified the oil feed line was leaking after removing it. Rusted through just above the flex hose.

Attachments

• oilfeed.jpg
    oilfeed.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 7
  • oilfeed2.jpg
    oilfeed2.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: M.J

toms89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested the following is what I had to do to gain access. I removed the strut tower brace, cowl upper and lower, turbo charge pipe, engine lift brace and upper heat shield. Took a lot longer to pull apart because I was studying the layout, referring to my shop manual and had to cut off the 3rd upper heatshield bolt closest to the wheel well. Was firmly rusted in place. The good news is it only took maybe 30 minutes to go back together once you know what your dealing with.

Special tools needed- long T45 torx bit and 3/8" fuel line quick disconnect tool.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dodas

Members online

No members online now.