New to the SHO fam, now lets rip its heart out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SHO-moco

Reaction score
So.... IT'S ALIVE!!. Had a couple gremlins popup Friday. Plan was to have it buttoned up for the weekend so I could drive it around, put some miles on it and see how it does. Decided to charge up the A/c as I was installing the UPR catch can and it kind of blocks the a/c port. Once charged up I fire up the a/c and its working as it should until i notice the system pressure rising and the cooling fans not coming on. So wouldnt you know, the fan control module decided to quite in the 2 months this car sat on the lift :mad:. Had to order one in, which arrived the next morning. I installed it and all was right in the world. Drove it 20 miles, brought it back into the shop and up on the lift to inspect for leaks and to recheck transmission fluid. All was good so off I go... 30 miles later as I am pulling into the driveway at home I notice the smell of oil. Park and open the hood only to find the brand new front turbo oil feed line to be leaking from the factory crimp!! So some running around the state to get the replacement part, stop by the shop to get the tools I'd need, and back home to replace it in the driveway. Fortunately it was the front one! Since then about another 120 miles and all is still right and tight.

SHO-moco

Reaction score
So here is a question for those of you following this thread. She seems to be running good, no current codes other then the cat efficiency which I expected from these basically hollowed cats. I have no reason to suspect there is a problem but I wanted to look at some of the turbo data to see if these cartridges are doing what they should be. Now keep in mind I just went with some stock cartridges as I am not looking to hotrod this car right now. That said, when looking at the calculated turbo boost data in the scanner everything is in the negatives. Kind of threw me through a loop as I have always seen boost gauges showing positive numbers. So I am not sure what to expect from normal stock operation. Can anyone tell me what kind of calculated boost figures I should see during normal driving and then with some more aggressive acceleration? At idle I see -10 ish. When getting on it some I can get it to 0 lol. I did note that the throttle position never shows as WOT through the computer. The throttle pedal position sensor acknowledges WOT but the throttle body itself is showing 75-80 when WOT.

Found this https://shoforum.com/threads/tps-and-throttle-pedal.143023/ . Basically saying that the throttle % i am seeing is about right. So I guess I can ignore that, but any input on what to expect from the "calculated turbo boost" would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Texas Marauder

SHO Member
Reaction score
Check PIDs TCBP_DSD and TCBP. Engine off they should be atmospheric pressure @14.7 psi. TCBP_DSD is turbo boost desired and TCBP is actual turbo boost. WOT you should be able to get mid 20s pressure.

SHO-moco

Reaction score
Check PIDs TCBP_DSD and TCBP. Engine off they should be atmospheric pressure @14.7 psi. TCBP_DSD is turbo boost desired and TCBP is actual turbo boost. WOT you should be able to get mid 20s pressure.
Ok, I will check those out thanks.
Mid 20's from a base stock setup? I thought I had read in a couple posts guys saying 12 is about what to expect from a stock setup? Or are you saying mid 20's on the MAP readings which you then subtract 14.7 from getting you back into the 12psi boost range?

SHO-moco

Reaction score
Forgot to throw this up, back out in the world again

Attachments

• IMG_20240609_145614489.jpg
    IMG_20240609_145614489.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 2

Texas Marauder

SHO Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will check those out thanks.
Mid 20's from a base stock setup? I thought I had read in a couple posts guys saying 12 is about what to expect from a stock setup? Or are you saying mid 20's on the MAP readings which you then subtract 14.7 from getting you back into the 12psi boost range?
Boost minus the static reading = boost above atmospheric pressure. Max should be @ 10-12 psi. Desired and actual should be close, maybe +- 1 psi.

SHO-moco

Reaction score
Whelp, back to making boost again! Simple fix this time. Went looking for boost leak points, specifically was checking out the noise maker as everyone talks about getting rid of them due to them being a common leak point. While looking in that area I noticed the clamp on the intake tube was super loose and the hose itself was just sliding around on the throttle body. I was scolding myself for how I could have forgotten to tighten such an important in your face clamp only to find out that it was the clamp itself that failed. Time and age must have gotten the better of it as it would start to tighten up then pull apart from itself. Didn't have a clamp that size just laying around so I put 2 hose clamps together to make one big enough. Once I got that hose on and tight took it for another ride and we are making boost! I still need to compare those values Texas mentions to see if they are performing decently, but I have boost again.

SHO-moco

Reaction score
Alright, so onto the next aspect of this job. So I already had to make some front pipes for this car as the original flex pipes were shot. The previous owner had already cut out the 3rd cat and resonator. So there are only the 2 mufflers in the back, flow masters I believe. One of them sounds like it has a loose baffle in it, at certain rpms and load there is a wicked rattle out of one of them. In the big picture I don't really care for this car to sound sporty, kind of takes away from the sleeper aspect of the car. So from what I have gathered from some posts is that a MagnaFlow 11386 should be put in where the original 3rd cat/ resonator was? But what about mufflers, I have read a lot of post with differing thoughts on that of course. But none of those post really are talking about trying to make their cars quiet lol. Anyone have any thoughts on what to put on for mufflers with the MagnaFlow 11386 in order to have a pretty quiet ride? And while I know someone will say "go stock then" , whelp I looked and those pieces cannot be had now a days.

SHO-moco

Reaction score
My suggestion stay all magnaflow

Where abouts in this magnaflow 11386 getting installed on the car? Everyone seems to talk about them but not exactly where in the system they are putting them. They look pretty large and I would think would hang pretty low if put where the factory resonator was. I have yet to see a picture of an exhaust system with the 11386 installed. Also just noted that Magnaflow lists their inlet and outlet sizes and those size's are ID measurements. Everyone using the 11386 is likely running larger 2.5 inch pipes front to back. If using the stock pipes those are 2.25 inch. That being said the 11385 magnaflow would likely be the better option as it is the same thing just with 2.25 inch inside diameter inlets and outlets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddizzy81

Members online

Back