Magnaflow for muffler behind the cat

Cheesehead

Reaction score
yes I purchased one for my car after seeing @SM105K install one and getting good gains both performance and sound. I've yet to install it, but plan to soon now that our local shops are opening back up. Most use it to replace the 3rd cat and stock resonators.

There are two main options, depending on if you want to replace the piping with 2.5" or keep the 2.25" piping.

I show that my distributor has both in stock, ready to ship.
So does this mess with emissions or will a muffler shop install no problem

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score
Okay I see it, is it worth getting this part? How does it sound with it (even though it may not change much)

It will give a throatier sound without adding rasp, depending on the rest of your system.

We have them on our site here:

If you look up the build thread by @SM105K he does a really good write-up and comparison from stock to these along with his other exhaust modifications that really change up the sound and performance, and he also got some decent gains from removing the added restriction.

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
It will give a throatier sound without adding rasp, depending on the rest of your system.

We have them on our site here:

If you look up the build thread by @SM105K he does a really good write-up and comparison from stock to these along with his other exhaust modifications that really change up the sound and performance, and he also got some decent gains from removing the added restriction.
Here is the info that Lee was referring too.

FiveLeeter918

Ortiz Performance Sales
Sponsoring Vendor
Reaction score

Thank you. Started looking for it then got sidetracked, it's a busy day for a Friday haha.

Original_Savage0

Reaction score
Thank you. Started looking for it then got sidetracked, it's a busy day for a Friday haha.

Thank you guys, just got off of work and was able to check to see if anyone responded, I’ll look into this right now!

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these a mufflers to replace the one behind the cat?
Yes I did, I like it, only issue I removed third cat but had a terrible rasp so reinstall the third cat and rasp went away. But Magnaflow gave me more of a deep rumble I was looking for. They actually don't list this Magnaflow as a resonator, but it works well in my opinion. And I went with 2.5 diameter since the PPE are 2.5.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220919-003739.png
    Screenshot_20220919-003739.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
So does this mess with emissions or will a muffler shop install no problem
Some shops will not touch the third cat, ask ahead of time, due to emissions regulations. I had mine move diameter up on the third cat to 2.5 but I also had it made it to where it was just clamped so I could remove cat on my own, but reinstalled because I didn't like the rasp.

thenewguy

Reaction score
Anyone know what this sounded like? I have this sitting in my basement, I had it installed on my other car and honestly was too tame for my liking. My other car is a 5L V8 Hyundai Genesis so wasn't no slouch. I removed the OEM resonator and mufflers and just threw this on there. Problem was at lower revs you could hear it but as the revs built, it would be dead silence. I guess the way it's tuned is to eliminate any signs of rasp or drone but it ends up killing all the volume basically from mid to high revs. Some like it, I wasn't a fan so removed that and put in flowmaster fx resonators and am very happy with those. I know it differs on different applications but am wondering what this sounded like for him. I did come across someone who had a similar setup, was a big drama queen according to what I saw lol. It was a post by Nick Olson https://www.facebook.com/groups/shoowners/permalink/10156661545549277/
Here's what my current setup sounds like,
I wanted to make it a hair louder and am thinking of removing just the resonator (not the 3rd cat) and putting in straight pipes. I have vibrant ultra quiet resonators in place of my mufflers so I still have a resonator to clean up the noise

SeanDev

SHO Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what this sounded like? I have this sitting in my basement, I had it installed on my other car and honestly was too tame for my liking. My other car is a 5L V8 Hyundai Genesis so wasn't no slouch. I removed the OEM resonator and mufflers and just threw this on there. Problem was at lower revs you could hear it but as the revs built, it would be dead silence. I guess the way it's tuned is to eliminate any signs of rasp or drone but it ends up killing all the volume basically from mid to high revs. Some like it, I wasn't a fan so removed that and put in flowmaster fx resonators and am very happy with those. I know it differs on different applications but am wondering what this sounded like for him. I did come across someone who had a similar setup, was a big drama queen according to what I saw lol. It was a post by Nick Olson https://www.facebook.com/groups/shoowners/permalink/10156661545549277/
Here's what my current setup sounds like,
I wanted to make it a hair louder and am thinking of removing just the resonator (not the 3rd cat) and putting in straight pipes. I have vibrant ultra quiet resonators in place of my mufflers so I still have a resonator to clean up the noise
Sounds good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insidejobrobsho13

Members online