lower engine shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ato137528

Reaction score
The printing on it says it must be replaced for proper cooling and sound levels. I don't really care about sound levels but I AM very concerned about cooling levels, particularity the PTU to which I just added a drain plug to remove the sludge in it. How is this cover an aid to cooling? Seems like it prevents cooling. Looking for something else, I ran across FordTechMakuloco on YouTube doing an oil change on an Explorer with a 3.5 ecoboost. It didn't have a lower shield but rather an air scoop that points air at the PTU, that he acknowledges needs more cooling. THIS seems like The Way.

I don't drive in ice and snow or mud, but I do like the idea of the cover. But not if it's a hindrance to cooling. Thoughts?

Majestic

SHO Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Explorer tray is vented and would assist in cooling. The SHO tray doesn't do much of anything.

Ta2dResqr

SHO Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I think the Flex is vented also. The other option is cutting the same opening on the Taurus shield. It has the same contours but, the opening is a flat filled in section on ours for some reason.

GTRPhilly

Reaction score
I was in the same boat, I actually bought one and it’s sitting in the garage. However, there are two indents on the cover that look like scoops, but they are blocked. I’ve been considering using a dremel and opening up those vents and throwing it on.

SM105K

Streetlight Grand Prix Champ/ IG @fafomotorsports
Reaction score
I was in the same boat, I actually bought one and it’s sitting in the garage. However, there are two indents on the cover that look like scoops, but they are blocked. I’ve been considering using a dremel and opening up those vents and throwing it on.
That is exactly what I did. I used self tappers to keep the padding and insulation down.

76FoMoCo

SHO Member
Reaction score
No need to keep it. The advantage is on ford's side. You don't see oil leaking with the diaper under it until you are out of warranty. Had mine off for 70k and unless you live in the rust belt nothing is lost. My ptu oil looks great and if you put down pipes they hang too low for it.

Reaction score
cooling aside I read on here a while back it helps with the hood not shaking at high speeds having it in place. mines broken and held on with a big zip tie, so I would be interested in finding one off an explorer if theyre a direct fit.

ato137528

Reaction score
No need to keep it. The advantage is on ford's side. You don't see oil leaking with the diaper under it until you are out of warranty. Had mine off for 70k and unless you live in the rust belt nothing is lost. My ptu oil looks great and if you put down pipes they hang too low for it.
Thank you. I did the drain plug in the PTU mod and need to be certain it isn't leaking, plus I'm trying to find the sweet spot between not tightening the pathetic PLASTIC radiator drain plug such that it leaks and TOO tight such that it breaks. Need to be able to see drips on the paper on the garage floor. Diaper is off for now. Should run a little cooler with summer coming.

Texas Marauder

SHO Member
Reaction score
The radiator drain plug seals with an O-ring in a bore. The O-ring doesn't tighten against anything. Just tighten until it stops. If it leaks, replace it.

Or this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullder

Members online

Back