Left Head Intake Camshaft Shim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DevineMagic

Reaction score
I am looking for any information on the shim that goes on the end of the intake camshaft before the timing gear is attached! Anyone have a part # or where I can order from! Called local dealership and they had no info on getting one.
2011 Ford Taurus Sho

Thanks,
Ronnie

Johnbigdog

SHO Member
Reaction score
Did you loose yours? Its a washer between the phaser and the cam. I bet if you call it a washer they can find it..

also, its reusable if you still have the old one.

Part number 14 in the image. The dealership has acess to the same image.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201125-202430_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201125-202430_Chrome.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

DevineMagic

Reaction score
Did you loose yours? Its a washer between the phaser and the cam. I bet if you call it a washer they can find it..

also, its reusable if you still have the old one.

Part number 14 in the image. The dealership has acess to the same image.

Thanks for the help! I seen same diagram but in my head was thinking that was the washer for the attachment bolt for the phaser!
Don’t understand why they call it a a washer! In my opinion .001 thickness would be a shim! Lol

Thanks for the help!
Ronnie

Kingsped

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I seen same diagram but in my head was thinking that was the washer for the attachment bolt for the phaser!
Don’t understand why they call it a a washer! In my opinion .001 thickness would be a shim! Lol

Thanks for the help!
Ronnie
I know this is 4 years old but did you happen to find a part number for the shim/washer you were looking for ?
I need 1 of them also and I can't find it...
I told my local dealership that I think it's number 14 but they are not agreeing with it...
Was it #14 ?
Any information about it would be very helpful and much appreciated...
I attached a photo of the part I'm talking about...

Attachments

• IMG_20240524_053416325.jpg
    IMG_20240524_053416325.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 9

Kingsped

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up...
I mentioned #14 about it and I appreciate the clarification for sure but I'm not able to locate the part, part# or any other info on it yet..
I'm sorry if I'm missing something..
I'm hoping someone with more experience knows where I can get it or tell what the part is actually called or the part# so I can locate some new ones..

Kingsped

Reaction score
So I let my local Ford parts department look at this thread and the diagram and they're acting like that part doesn't exist at all but I know it does because I had one of them in my hand at the time, this is The same parts department that told me the Short Block i purchased wouldn't work for my vehicle but it certainly...

If anyone can please help me locate the part number for this it would be a huge help...

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get back to work until today.

This is directly from the Ford parts catalog. If one of my techs were needing this shim, I'd have to order the entire camshaft assembly.

-Chad

20240529 080916

Kingsped

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get back to work until today.

This is directly from the Ford parts catalog. If one of my techs were needing this shim, I'd have to order the entire camshaft assembly.

-Chad

View attachment 90650
Thanks for your help again...
Im still a little bit confused or maybe I'm just completely insane...
Am I understanding this correctly , should I only have 1 shim on the LH Intake camshaft?
Or is the RH Intake camshaft supposed to have one also ?
I could have sworn that both left and right had the shim on there but then again My wife and kids tell me I'm crazy multiple times a day I'm starting to think they might be right...

Texas Marauder

SHO Member
Reaction score
Now I'm confused. Did you have a shim and lose it? I've looked thru 4 service manuals, 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2016. Only the 2016 manual mentions the shim on the LH intake cam only. How is the gear alignment if you assemble the intake phaser and the exhaust cam gear? Maybe you never had a shim or maybe it doesn't matter.

Kingsped

Reaction score
Only the left hand intake camshaft has the shim.

-Chad
Great news then, Thanks...
Geeze I feel so stupid..
I was starting to get very frustrated over this...
I was certain that I removed 1 from each side..
I actually was able to get 1 of those shims from a buddy that just happened to have a LH Head sitting in the garage so it seems like I should be all set...
I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has ever helped me, Y'all have been bigger help to me than you know...
I guess it's time to call a psychiatrist because I must have been having hallucinations or something...

Kingsped

Reaction score
Only the left hand intake camshaft has the shim.

-Chad

Do you mind answering a few more ore question maybe ?
you seem to be very experienced , knowledgeable and it seems that you have access to a very detailed Parts catalog

Can I replace just the camshaft and caps ?
Do I have to buy new cylinder heads ?

Last edited:

Irish Pride

Irish Inside
Staff member
Super Moderators
Reaction score
You can replace just the camshaft. Cam caps would get reused as they only come with the head. You would want to replace the phaser bolts on that head and you would want to check valve clearance and replace any tappets as needed.

-Chad

Kingsped

Reaction score
You can replace just the camshaft. Cam caps would get reused as they only come with the head. You would want to replace the phaser bolts on that head and you would want to check valve clearance and replace any tappets as needed.

-Chad
Thanks again for your prompt reply...
So if someone finds like 1-3 of the Caps damaged they would have to purchas a new Head ?
I'm glad to hear that it can actually be done..
I don't have any damage to the camshafts or Heads that I'm going to be using now but I have a buddy who has a killer deal on a 2016 EcoBoost Flex that he says needs some cams and I've been contemplating buying it for quite a while and now I feel a little more comfortable to do it although I'm very worried about why the cams are shot too begin with...

Thanks again for all your help.

God bless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddizzy81

Members online

Back